Sign in to follow this  
City penguin

Chris Houghton, whats the issue?

For me he has done a top job at Newcastle, was sacked very unfairly.

Its really difficult to take over a relegated team and get them playing well again, he got brum into the play offs which is a fantastic achievement

It looks as though WBA will go for the Schalke manager, while brums finances are terrible at the moment and key players will be sold off and new team rebuilt on the cheap .

Houghton is very well respected Coach and always talks a lot of sense,but on various message boards he is met with a lot of negativity i have seen. I''d like some of his doubters to post some solid information to why he would''t be a good choice, let hear it?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]dull, boring and un-charismatic. He''s no Lambert![/quote]

all could be equally used to describe paul, just confirms your limited knowledge of Football.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]dull, boring and un-charismatic. He''s no Lambert![/quote]

Sarcasm? not sure. I do know that Lambert has many strengths, being charasmatic, exciting and unpredictable were not 3 of them. I can even tell you word for word how his next press conference will go.. "I think the lads need a hand and we will be looking at several options, but there a great bunch of lads"

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2727565/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="City penguin"]exactly what i was insinuating at morty, none of the reasons are footballing.[/quote]I like him as a manager and would be happy to have him here.[Y]

Lambert has been excellent for the football club however i would be lying if i said i wasnt a little bitter in the way hes gone. Im not sure how im going to react if and when he faces Norwich again if im honest. I dont think anybody could begrudge him of going to another ''bigger'' club. Aston villa though i cant see it. Thanks paul for what you have done but they way you have gone about this is hard to take if you do go.

I for one, would much prefer Houghton to Malky. Malky may well be great in the future, and if we were in 66th place (when PL took over) then great, but we are not.

Not for me. We really must try and aim a bit higher. I just feel that we need a big character to give the players a real boost but also show our club means to progress.

Thank goodness for our Chairman and Chief Exec. I trust they will continue what they have started and we are not back to the bad old days of Manager recruitment. It wouldn''t surprise me if they have someone targeted and it may not be anyone mentioned so far on this board.

I have to say that the mention of Malky is quite depressing.

Hughton would be my number 1 choice. Excellent young manager. Newcastle sacking was one of the bizarrest in Football. Hoping the club are now making moves for him...

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Not for me. We really must try and aim a bit higher. I just feel that we need a big character to give the players a real boost but also show our club means to progress.

Thank goodness for our Chairman and Chief Exec. I trust they will continue what they have started and we are not back to the bad old days of Manager recruitment. It wouldn''t surprise me if they have someone targeted and it may not be anyone mentioned so far on this board.

I have to say that the mention of Malky is quite depressing.[/quote]Well said. I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want Malky.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Not for me. We really must try and aim a bit higher. I just feel that we need a big character to give the players a real boost but also show our club means to progress.

I have to say that the mention of Malky is quite depressing.[/quote]

Who are we going to get that''s bigger than Hughton at the minute? And please don''t say Rafa, because it just isn''t going to happen... Agree about Malky though..

[quote user="Shyster"]What''s the issue? Two million in compensation.[/quote]

Shouldnt be an issue if he''s the right manager, half of that will come from Villa if some of the figures are correct. I would rather spend a million on the right man than a back-up right sided defender.

I think it is because of the issue that''s been raised before sadly, hence why i posted it.

On top of that I don''t think it helped in the manner he was treated by Newcastle, if you get kicked out like that it''s not good for your rep, whether you''ve been doing a bad job or not.

Would love for him to manage us and give ''castle a few twonkings next season!

minus the expected 1 million from lambert. One million well spent imo. If were thinking about shelling out similar or more money than this season, 15 million, then an extra one million for a top class manager, really shouldn''t be any issue at all.

It seems that the general viw here is that we should appoint the right man for the job, regardless of cost . And I''d agree with that sentiment 100% . I REALLY do hope that the days of shoehorning some guy into the manager''s seat, just because he sounds good, or is prepared to work for peanuts etc are over. We did that with the Grants/Roeders/ Megsons of this world, and look where it got us .If Mc Nally and Co decide that Hughton is the man for the job , they should go all out and leave no stone unturned to appoint him. A wrong decision now will cost us megabucks for years to come . Scary.

He''s a good manager, but we don''t need a good manager, we need a great one. Getting that Newcastle team promoted wasn''t much of a feat, it was far better than anything else in the league when he arrived. Getting Brum to the playoffs is isn''t great either. With the team he had and a fairly weak league they should have got automatic.

We''re replacing the best young manager in the country and we need someone of his caliber to replace him

lets be honest though, paul lambert was a one off, i doubt we will appoint another manager that will bring us the meteoric rise has he did ever again.

[quote user="Mahogany"]He''s a good manager, but we don''t need a good manager, we need a great one. Getting that Newcastle team promoted wasn''t much of a feat, it was far better than anything else in the league when he arrived. Getting Brum to the playoffs is isn''t great either. With the team he had and a fairly weak league they should have got automatic.

We''re replacing the best young manager in the country and we need someone of his caliber to replace him[/quote]
Their owner was arrested and the club purged into financial issues. Most of their defence, midfield and one of their best strikers were sold and Hughton had next to nothing to spend on players. He brought in 11 players over the course of the season on permanent deals, 9 of them were free transfers and he supplemented with loans. He guided a team that was close to administration to the play off semis. That''s a hell of an achievement.