Sign in to follow this  
Darlo dumplin’

Why only £1m in compensation for Lambert?

OK I know its only paper talk but consistently the figures quoted for Rodgers and his backroom people are £5m to £7m in compensation to Swansea and consistently the figure quoted for Lambert to us is around £1m.  Any logic to this? 

They were on 3 year contracts, Lambert, and his backroom staff as far as I know, were only on a one year rolling contract.Less contract to pay up = less compo.

It is saying £1m for Lambert, I reckon will be double that if Villa are taking Cully and Karsa as well though. 

As said above, Rodgers had not long ago signed a new three-year deal so that had to be paid out, while Lambert is only on a one-year rolling contract, good that it means he couldn''t just run it down, but also still limited our demands for compensation.

It does sound a bit daft, but Rodgers happily signed his new contract only recently, if I recall correctly. Clearly there''s pros and cons of rolling v longer contracts, in our instance it might gain us less in compo, but had we booted Lambo it would have cost less...and perhaps he didn''t want the longer deal.

If this compensation figure is right that''s bullsh!t.

A number of months ago I had the audacity to question whether the rolling contract was as beneficial to NCFC rather than locking PL into a proper fixed term contract.

I was shot down by many with tones of this gives us more security than a typical contract etc etc etc.

Can I suggest that no one knows what the hell there talking about and anyway, after what has transpired here, why have contracts anyway they clearly have no value or standing in football today.

The simple fact is that it might have been Lambert rather than us that wanted such a contract, but there are pros and cons to each.

You are right that contracts do seem to be rather worthless, and the ''system'' is rather a joke: it doesn''t seem to matter whether a ''legal'' approach is accepted or not by a club, so just what is the point in having that process in the first place?

Sorry Branston good a bit emotional there.

If I was in the upper echelon of CR though, I would be saying from now on that rolling contracts will no longer be entered into even from just the point of compensation. Managers will always leave but NCFC need to be compensated fairly.

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

Sorry Branston good a bit emotional there.

If I was in the upper echelon of CR though, I would be saying from now on that rolling contracts will no longer be entered into even from just the point of compensation. Managers will always leave but NCFC need to be compensated fairly.

[/quote]It can work both ways though, had we wanted shot of him there would be less compo to pay.Though, with hindsight, this hasn''t really worked in our favour lol.

Morto, surely though one way to limit payout in the scenario you mentioned would be to offer two year contract extensions which could be topped up annually if everything going well, like it was here.

I just want City to be compensated fairly instead of always getting the worst end of the arrangement.

Anyway, no use crying of spilled Guinness now, the search for a new manager begins.

I''m not sure with this £1 million figure being qouted, lets face it, it''s probably likely to go to tribunal and we had to pay Colchester 400K and got fined. We also had permission to speak to him, were at a lower league level. He wasnt a proven success.

I think the figure is likely to come down to what rules have been breached. We havent even given them permission to speak to him let alone if he gets appointed, what we think his value is and what the FA think his value to us is, not just contract issues. I would expect a bigger figure to compensate his actual loss to our club in more than just contract terms.

Rodgers and Swansea agreed a 5 million minimum compensation package for any club wanting his services if he still had three years left to run, the back room staff going with Rodgers was being negotiated and has now been agreed between Liverpool and Swansea.

For us, we would need to prove the same as Colchester that an illeagal approach had been made, but 1 million would be the minimum I would expect as the club would argue that loosing our manager might see us relegated and cost the club millions! I would expect a settlement much higher than 1 million and I expect Villa would want it settled between the clubs not going to tribunal!

[quote user="Indy"]I would expect a settlement much higher than 1 million and I expect Villa would want it settled between the clubs not going to tribunal![/quote]I agree (Sounds like I''m agreeing with myself!).I''d expect something in the range of 3 mil which includes IC and GK as part of the package.Also, if he wants to take Ruddy, we''ll have Given in part-ex...

Call me hard nosed but Villa are taking the pi$$ out of us and for this reason I think enforced gardening leave until such time as we are suitably compensated for PL''s services by Villa or the period of notice expires might hurry the process along a bit.

[quote user="A Certain Poster"]Call me hard nosed but Villa are taking the pi$$ out of us and for this reason I think enforced gardening leave until such time as we are suitably compensated for PL''s services by Villa or the period of notice expires might hurry the process along a bit.
[/quote]

That sounds like a McNally style option, and, of course, in theory it does mean that we  have more clout beyond the restrictions of a one year rolling contract.

I said yesterday it could get nasty, a Glasgow kiss against a brick wall. I fancy the brick wall.

In McNally I trust.