Sign in to follow this  
Billabong

Ian Culverhouse

I think making him manager would be a huge risk.

Good assistants dont always make good managers - John Deehan and Peter Grant and Gary Megson are good proof of that for our club. And the highest profile failure from assistant to manager has got to be Brian Kidd.

I thought this was going to be a Harry Hill-style "..but I like Chris Hughton too. Who''s the best? There''s only one way to find out..."I agree with you though Dave - I think this is an interesting inside view on it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/09/the-secret-footballer.Doesn''t mean he *would* be poor though.

Totally agree he may well me an integral part of Lamberts success but there is a reason why most No.2''s are not No.1''s!

As I posted yesterday, his appointment would depend on McNally''s assessment of his character. Just because a lot fail does not mean that they all will, and that applies to managers as well. If McNally deems him up to the job all well and good IMO.

Of the three examples you gave, Deehan was hamstrung by the financial nightmare of the Chase era, as was Megson, who has subsequently proven himself as a manager. Only Grant backs up your point.

However, you fail to mention that all our most successful managers, bar Lambert, were promoted from within. Brown, Stringer, Walker and Worthington.

In my opinion, if Culverhouse wants it, give it to him.

[quote user="Noseybonk"]

Of the three examples you gave, Deehan was hamstrung by the financial nightmare of the Chase era, as was Megson, who has subsequently proven himself as a manager. Only Grant backs up your point.

However, you fail to mention that all our most successful managers, bar Lambert, were promoted from within. Brown, Stringer, Walker and Worthington.

[/quote]Lambert will have not left Norwich City without his sidekicks Culverhouse and Karsa.  Lambert is a very clever man as he actually does very little and without his two men he''d not last long at Villa.

I would be very suprised if Culverhouse did not go with Lambert, but also delighted as I think he has a superb footballing brain.

To my mind, he has been every bit as important in our last 3 years of success as Paul Lambert, even if he does not get any of the limelight. Let''s hope McNally can pull something out of the hat with this one - even if not our manager directly (which he might not want), to keep him on-board would be huge!

Anyway, firmly expect him to be unveiled with Lambert if he does sign for Villa.

I''d actually love it if Culvers refused to go to Villa. Everyone assumes they''re some inseperable power trio - but that''s failing to credit Culvers and Karsa with their own individual career plans and opinions. It could just be that IC has his eye on being No.1 somewhere and this is the perfect opportunity. Somewhere he''s spent a large percentage of the last 25 years. I would be happy with that. Plus, he swears a lot and I like that.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Noseybonk"]

[/quote]Lambert will have not left Norwich City without his sidekicks Culverhouse and Karsa.  Lambert is a very clever man as he actually does very little and without his two men he''d not last long at Villa.[/quote]

I have no doubt that Lambert would not of resigned without first knowing his team would leave with him, however do you not think it is at all possible that McNally could change his mind, make him an offer he can''t refuse. Its a very easy decision for culverhouse to say he will go with lambert when there are no other options, but when given another path to walk things become not so easy.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

I have no doubt that Lambert would not of resigned without first knowing his team would leave with him, however do you not think it is at all possible that McNally could change his mind, make him an offer he can''t refuse. Its a very easy decision for culverhouse to say he will go with lambert when there are no other options, but when given another path to walk things become not so easy.

[/quote]I have it on very good authority that Ian would not be interested in being a club manager.  He''s very happy to do the so called donkey work, get paid and let someone else take the plaudits, Karsa, who I know nothing about (or what exactly he does?), I''m guessing is the same.  One other interesting thing is that Ian has lived all his life in Bishop''s Stortford and claims that football will never make him uproot the family, so any job must be commutable from there (getting to Birmingham would be very similar to Norwich), but would certainly rule out a Lambert return to Celtic with Culverhouse as his number 2 in the future.