Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

If Grant Holt left - Would it be so bad?

No doubting how important he has been for the club in the last 3 years but if he left this summer would it all be so bad?

He''s 31 and his stock has never been higher. We could perhaps see bids of £3-5mill being made.

With the sale of this money added to the £3-5mill probably already ear-marked for another striker we could bring in a younger, similar, goal-scoring striker.

If you can replace his 15 goals from last season, great.Here are last seasons'' top 20 scorers in the Premier league.  The only player I could see us being able to afford in this list is Odemwingie - possibly Yakubu if you break the wage structure.

1 Robin van Persie 30

Arsenal

2 Wayne Rooney 27

Manchester United

3 Sergio Agüero 23

Manchester City

4 Clint Dempsey 17

Fulham

4 Yakubu Aiyegbeni 17

Blackburn Rovers

4 Emmanuel Adebayor 17

Tottenham Hotspur

7 Demba Ba 16

Newcastle United

8 Grant Holt 15

Norwich City

9 Edin Dzeko 14

Manchester City

10 Mario Balotelli 13

Manchester City

10 Papiss Cissé 13

Newcastle United

12 Steven Fletcher 12

Wolverhampton Wanderers

12 Danny Graham 12

Swansea City

14 Jermain Defoe 11

Tottenham Hotspur

14 Rafael van der Vaart 11

Tottenham Hotspur

14 Frank Lampard 11

Chelsea

14 Daniel Sturridge 11

Chelsea

14 Luis Suarez 11

Liverpool

19 Javier Hernández 10

Manchester United

19 Peter Crouch 10

Stoke City

19 Peter Odemwingie 10

West Bromwich Albion

Grant represents the fighting spirit and underdog story and he is a natural leader. I''d hate to see him go as well as PL. Even if he only had one more season in him I think he''d get more crucial goals for us. He''s just a handful for any team and takes pressure off the rest of the team. He''s Captain Canary and I know he handed in a transfer request but I honestly think it was a personal issue rather than not wanting to be here. He''s also a lot better than some people think. Just look at some of the goals he scored last season. I always think we''ll get goals in a game when he''s playing. If he had to be replaced I guess Fletcher is the ideal replacement and is younger, but does he have the same leadership qualities? Who would replace Holt as captain? Howson?

Yes would be real bad, there is no way we can replace him for the money we would receive - just look at the figures being bounded around, 7M for rodriguez. I would say we would need an offer of 6/7+ M to make selling Holt worthwhile and no one is going to be willing to pay that.Also holt is still our captain, we are going to need him around the squad this season with Lambert gone.It''s funny how when close season comes people seem to forget how much we relied on certain players this season. Would you rely on Morrison and Jackson to score all our goals next season + an unproven prem striker to replace Holt, i know i wouldn''t, i don''t imagine Morrison will even score 10 goals next season, Jackson prob wont reach 5, Holt needs to stay and needs to be on the same form he was on this year, otherwise we have no chance of staying in the prem.Starting to get real worried about next season now.

Perhaps I am the only one, perhaps not, but last season when he was unavailable or not in the starting line up I would feel gutted. So the answer is yes, it would be bad if Grant was to leave.

It would be a shame to see Holt go as well. I guess it partly depends on the new manager - I''d like to think we could keep him but if he does go that is just one of those things I guess, as one era ends another starts. If we got £3m-£5m that would be pretty good going.

If we get a bid less than £5m we should tell them to get serious. Should be looking for £5-6m

If someone wants him enough to pay what he''s worth then sell him and give Jordan Rhodes a route into the Premier League. Long term signing, he''s 22 full of goals and only going to get better.

Fulham are ready to offer £5m for Rhodes so time is against us.