Sign in to follow this  
Thorny

Time for someone to open his eyes

Haven''t been on here for a while.

Opinions of trying the following in central defence a few times in the final eight games:

Shackell & Helveg

Why? Our defence this season is diabolical. Our manager has had no confidence or passion to sort our major weak spot out. For instance, for three games running we conceded three goals per game. For the last game, he kept the faith. Hardly progressing but admitting defeat..

Shackell has proved he is up for it but a defence is unit and not one player. If one wants to pull his weight while the others cannot/wont, then he must feel helpless if the attacking player is going to one of his counter parts.

Why Helveg? Literally for his experience. He has played far bigger games that the rest of the boys. Shackell is going to be a gem and who better to learn from? No point in reserves as that is noncompetitive. Shackell and any of the others and he is spending more time bailing his counterparts out/always on his back foot.

Everyone says Helveg is old. Elver has been dire. I slated him for one game but others, ie Birmingham away in centre midfield, and he has been great. He is a central player. He is a player who can control a game in the middle area/not wide.

To come back for 90 minutes for his national team, with a clean sheet (take note Worthington) he has to start at some point soon. I await to see what he does Wednesday night for his nation, and as captain.

Unless Fleming gets suspended or injured i believe he will play every single match this season. Anyway it is probably too late now. The 6 or 7 point gap between us and safety will only get bigger with the same team that goes out every game and brings back nothing

Won''t really matter, we defend too deep and it''s nothing new. We''ve done it for a few seasons only this season there is the quality to catch you out

Unfortunately I cannot see Helveg featuring much more this season, he was not even considered for the bench for Bolton although seven days later he was fit to start and captain his country. I appreciate that his name begins with H but thats where any favouritism ends.

I cannot wait for this season to end and say goodbye to Sky and perhaps even cancel my subscription and return to Saturday football and hopefully more competitive games.

As for someone opening their eyes I think they are already open but unable to see the obvious and anyway as said earlier he has already got one eye on next season so will only have one eye on the rest of the games for this season.

Thats been our problem this season, defending too deep.  Defend too deep, you invite the opposition in. Doesn''t help when you''ve got Gary Holt running and passing backwards.

We needed to take the game to the oppostion, not give them respect (do they respect us during 90 minutes). I think after the Portsmouth away game, Worthingtons mind was made up. Thats the last time we took the game to the opposition in all honesty, albeit with 10 men.

But to also take the game to the opposition means having a creative and foward moving midfield. Strikers can''t score if the ball isn''t going to them, whereas the last few home games we''ve witnessed are strikers as far back as the final 3rd - and not from a corner.

Far too late for that though but would like to see the manager not sit on the fence and play the same team yet again.

[quote]Won''t really matter, we defend too deep and it''s nothing new. We''ve done it for a few seasons only this season there is the quality to catch you out[/quote]

hit the nail squarely on the head prem, maybe next year we will get a decent coach in charge of the first team