Sign in to follow this  
WesHoolahansDefendant

Replacing the Horse

Who could we realistically get in?

How much would we get for Holt?

We really need a nice coup for Grant because I feel we might need a big character to come in and replace him, something which would obviously cost a little fortune. - Something we apparently don''t have at the minute as evidence would show.

Yakubu would be terrific, but we''d never afford his wages.

J Rhodes? Looks unlikely

Trevor Benjamin?

A little worried tbh...

Dont laugh- but Heskey.Morro, Jackson and Vaughan would score TONS with him there and I also think we should hold fire on getting shot of Chris Martin til the next manager has a look at what is here.

Got to be looking abroad now imo. Nobody in English football can replace him imo.

this chaphttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_RooneyRooney! Rooney! Rooney!If hughton comes he might bring him with him.

Well there is a striker who scored nine goals in the premier last season, a player who a proportion of our fanbase went out of their way to get on his back. Perhaps he could fill the boots?As we aint going to afford a proven 15 goals a season striker.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Dont laugh- but Heskey.

Morro, Jackson and Vaughan would score TONS with him there and I also think we should hold fire on getting shot of Chris Martin til the next manager has a look at what is here.
[/quote]

Heskey? Are you on crack? The only reason Morison, Jackson and Vaughan would score tons is because they would all be starting in front of him! The guy doesn''t create goals its a myth.....Muzzy Izzet has more assists than Hesky.  

Lightning isn''t going to strike twice.Finding another striker like Grant Holt will be an impossibility given our lowly wage structure so we will have to rely on a team effort to score the goals season season.I suggest boosting the defence as it will likely be one way traffic.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Lightning isn''t going to strike twice.

Finding another striker like Grant Holt will be an impossibility given our lowly wage structure so we will have to rely on a team effort to score the goals season season.

I suggest boosting the defence as it will likely be one way traffic.

[/quote]

Cluck Nose nothing.

John Guidetti.

He''s only 20, comes of the back of an awesome season at Feyenoord, nowhere near Man City''s plans. 6"1, all the attributes to become a top class striker. Whoever the next manager is I would make this chap my no.1 target. Should imagine he wouldn''t cost the earth in terms of transfer fee or in wages.

Steven Fletcher

Knows the division, has the experience and track record

Right age and similar mould to Holt

With Wolves being relegated is now a realistic target

£7-8mill affordable if Holt goes

[quote user="Bovril"]Steven Fletcher Knows the division, has the experience and track record Right age and similar mould to Holt With Wolves being relegated is now a realistic target £7-8mill affordable if Holt goes[/quote]

Possibly won''t be the most popular shout on here, but I think it is quite a good one.  But what price is Holt worth if Fletcher is worth £7m, got to be closer to £10m.  That is the way the McNally will be playing this I suspect, and quite right too!

Yakubu: Wages, wages, and thrice wages.McNally said today that there is no wage ceiling, but there''s only a realistic amount we can afford.The only strikers that I''d want, that I think we can possibly afford (fee + wages) are Rhodes or Fletcher. The only premier league striker''s we''d afford are in the same mould as Holt ie. getting on a bit and looking towards the end of their top flight career, but even then wages will be a stumbling block as they''re almost guaranteed to be on more than they''d get here. In that case we''d only get them if they were going to be released and were looking for a contract, in which case, why would we want them?If we don''t get Rhodes or Fletcher, then I''d rather see a youngster come in as back up to what we have and let Morison take the role as our lead striker. I''d happily see Pacheco come in in this capacity. He clearly wants to be here and that would go a long way to allaying the fear of him underperforming. It would be a bit of a punt, for sure, but when it comes to the cost of strikers, a punt is what I think we might be looking at.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Just Dan"]What about Yakubu?[/quote]

33 (at least)

[/quote]In Nigeria years. They''re 1.5 years in the real world. A bit like dogs.

I would pay Huddersfield what they want for Rhodes , we are going to be desperate for a finisher and he''s about the best available in the lower leagues , trouble is will he still be available by the time we appoint a manager . Only other option appears to be to get somebody in from abroad but our record on that is not that good ,bring back Strihavka and Maric :-)

Heskey?! Good God. He was rubbish four years ago and got worse every year.

The obvious replacement is Fletcher at Wolves but he would be very pricey - both in terms of transer fee and wages. The Yak might do a job but he''s a different type of player and his 20+ goals might attract bigger fish.

I think we already have the ideal replacement. Its time for people to start backing Steve Morison and let him become the first choice front man.Last year was his first year in a new team and the Premiership and still got his fair share of goals.  I know he went off the boil for part of the season but hopefully if next year he is settled then his proven finishing abilities as shown at Arsenal will become a regular feature.I know we still need another striker or 2 as backup (hopefully a young up and coming prospect, fantastic if it could be Rhodes) but as a direct replacement I think Morison deserves his chance.

The question I have to ask is - why have they released him?Did fairly well for them, so unless he wanted crazy money it seems odd that they haven''t offered a new deal.If he did want silly money, we''re not interested anyway, and if not I''d want to know what the issue was to begin with.