Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Expectations for next season = automatically reduced?

A week ago I imagine most people''s expectations for next season were to stay up but at the same time also hoping to further progress and establish a solid mid-table position.

Now with the new manager are we purely looking to hang on in the division? or do people think we can make further strides next year and achieve what we did this past year?

For me, I would have taken survival next season anyway, as I am expecting a much tougher division.

Now, even more so!

I said on a thread earlier this week that 17th position would be a massive step forward for the club. As all the external debt would be paid off and we would have a much bigger budget for the 2013/14 season. What has just happened in the last 2 days means it would be an awesome effort.

League will be harder next year - no chicken mongers to make one team effectively useless and no Terry Connor handing out points.

I fully expect whoever takes over Norwich to have around £15m - £20m to spend on players (minus any large wages bills). I guess it will be a bit like last year though, without really knowing how the team will line up and perform until the season begins.

I expect to get relegated without Lambert at the helm.

This squad will seriously struggle without him especially with the replacements being suggested so far. 

To be perfectly honest, I think we saw last season that for pretty much half of the league, survival is the primary aim every season. I think that''s what we''re going to have to realistically live with from now on. Anything more - a cup run to Wembley or in a few seasons maybe sneaking into the Europa league - would be a massive bonus, but the primary aim season in season out from now on in will almost certainly be survival. At least for the next half a decade or so until we can say for certain that we''re an established premier league club.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

I expect to get relegated without Lambert at the helm.

This squad will seriously struggle without him especially with the replacements being suggested so far. 

[/quote]I disagree, Chris Hughton as a replacement would leave the club at par or even better than PL.  PL''s attitude has finally come to head and IMO he''s lost a lot of respect with what he says and what he does.  I''m very disappointed with PL and maybe it''s for the better that he''s left at this point.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I expect to get relegated without Lambert at the helm.[/quote]There were 20 Clubs in the PL last season, only 3 of them got relegated & of the "survivours" only one was managed by Lambert.We have a great squad, sufficient money to spend & we are a very attractive proposition for several excellent managers and plenty of hungry players who are chomping at the bit for an opportunity to play in the PL.There''s no guarantee that Holt would have been as effective next season as he was this & I''d trade a good transfer fee now for maybe one reasonable season from him & nothing at the end of it.We have some exciting prospects in the squad, Howson & R Bennett will come on no end for their recent experience & by all accounts team spirit might well improve now Lambert has gone & if Holt departs for pastures new.I believe that we can go on to greater things than we''ve achieved this year - glass well & truely half full.

"I expect to get relegated without Lambert at the helm."

Wow, now that is a glass half empty statement. Get a grip, he was a great manager for us, but he is not irreplaceable.

Our form over the closing months was pretty much relegation form with Lambert in charge , i just think with 3 strong sides coming up we are in serious trouble and now do not even have a regular goalscorer in the squad because whatever anybody says Holt will leave , theres just no point keeping a player who does not want to play for you . Swansea ,Norwich and one other would be my guess as it stands at the moment , of course bring in the right manager quickly and let him spend some serious money and we could even improve a little , chances of that though = pretty slim.

[quote user="Monty13"]"I expect to get relegated without Lambert at the helm." Wow, now that is a glass half empty statement. Get a grip, he was a great manager for us, but he is not irreplaceable.[/quote]

I think he is ... especially when you look at the potential candidates.

I''m not crying over spilt milk - I''m over Lambert leaving - I just honestly can''t see us being strong enough with this squad without Lambert''s magic touch.

Not reduced yet. Ask me at the end of pre season.My expecations with Lambert were that we would find it far more difficult next season in a far stronger division. Survival would have been a great achievement and I still expect the same to be true.

I reckon we''re down for sure.Momentum was everything and now that''s gone there isn''t enough substance left at NCFC to rise to the challenge.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]I reckon we''re down for sure.

Momentum was everything and now that''s gone there isn''t enough substance left at NCFC to rise to the challenge.
[/quote]

So i take it you have lost faith in your two heroes Bowkett and McNally ? [*-)]

Without stating the bloody obvious it depends who comes in as a manager.

Someone like Hughton or Robinson or Clarke may even push us on a level, someone like Malky (sorry, love the guy) or some of the other older, wiser heads being mentioned and it could be a long old struggle next year.

What about Robins and Huckerby as some sort of team?

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Without stating the bloody obvious it depends who comes in as a manager.

Someone like Hughton or Robinson or Clarke may even push us on a level, someone like Malky (sorry, love the guy) or some of the other older, wiser heads being mentioned and it could be a long old struggle next year.

What about Robins and Huckerby as some sort of team?[/quote]

Even if Lambert had stayed next season I reckon like others he knew we were screwed. The reason is you can only get 150% out of players for so long and as our form showed towards the end we were losing the plot.

Therefore I will say something controversial and say Lambert has done us a favour. Someone like Houghton will be fresh to our existing squad so no favourites all positions up for grabs with new players also coming in. The second season slump could disappear if we get an excellent new Manager even Holt could be turned around, that is a big IF though