Sign in to follow this  
Bury Yellow

Ashton too good for City - Thomas

I appreciate I can only get on this board occasionally but the above headline on the Pink un site seems to sum up what I have gone on and on and on about over the last couple of years, ie. the PR of the club and the very poor image they portray of NCFC.

In reality we are a medium to large club that has, over the years, underachieved. Arguably there are several reasons for this but whatever goes on, on the field, there is no excuse whatever how we portray ourselves off the field.

The Thomas comment, although not quite as bad as the headline suggests, typifies the poor performance of our PR department. When you think what this club is achieving, mainly through the fantastic support, what on earth is the PR departments standing when such naff information gets through to the national media when Thomas suggests Ashton is too good for city!!

If you run a business, you may have the finest product in the world but if you don''t sell it correctly, it is a complete waste of time.

I digress: What club does Thomas suggest Ashton should have gone to? Well what do you know - Crystal Palarse. Why not other media friendly clubs? West Brom, Spurs (Yeh right). I acknowledge it is very difficult with our geographical position to impress ignorant media people but that shouldn''t stop us trying. I think we fail miserably. I also think it is extremely important whether we go down or not that we start a campaign to change the image of NCFC from this parochial, small family club to a professional, potential 35000 supported dynamic ambitious football club. A second tier to the awful City Stand that looks like a renegade from the Vauxhall Conference will help when we can afford it. ASAP please!

Dont agree with me? Well we all know that we are a bigger club than Ipsh-- but just ask any media Johnny which club is the bigger and you won''t like the answer. Fair do''s to the binners, they have always been more progressive than us and they never, ever, ever, criticise their supporters!

I have to admit, that living amongst them is difficult, and that their financial actions are a disgrace, but PR wise they have been absolutely brilliant. The national media thinks Sheepshanks and co are brilliant and the purple cheeked one will never ever criticise their support or even mention so called ''fair weather'' support. Quite right too, because, unlike some comments on this board, all clubs have very keen support but also ''fair weather types'' who are not prepared to watch sub standard rubbish that is put before them. What''s wrong with that? They have the right to do that although I admit I have supported City home and away for 40 years but then I''m just stupid!

Before all the ''I will not hear any criticism of my club - Get behind your team whatever'', get out of their pram and jump on my back, let me say that what would make me more proud of the club is, if I could listen to the national media giving us a fair report on a level playing field with other clubs our size and not this condescending nonsense where the impression is - ''Oh it''s little Norwich - we feel sorry for them, let''s give then a pat on the head - jolly good. They''ll soon be back with the Crewe''s of this world. Now then where are the bigger clubs? Ah good Ipswich should be back where they belong soon. Marvellous club. Big club 30,000 plus capacity - held an England international you know.(Funny - No mention that it was held in a ground not paid for!)

Don''t believe me? I invite you to investigate further. Would Thomas have commented the same way on Ipswich?

I apologise for ranting on, but apart from being bored on this Easter Saturday, I just want to be part of a dynamic organisation that portrays everything good about Norfolk and Norwich. I fear we sell ourselves well short at the moment. So much so that our local paper picks up a comment from a third rate pl

Very good post BY, glad I''m not the only one who feels that way. I am also fed up with the little old Norwich and happy to be so attitude. We will never be the equal of the manures and arses of this world but we should certainly be able to give the Charltons and Boltons a run for their money. I would even go a stage further and change our colours from yellow and green to a more fearsome looking red and black and change our nickname to something more frightening like the vampires.  I already refuse to sing otbc cos I don''t particularly like the song, to me it never sounds as though it''s a together song even when sung wholeheartedly by a large proportion of the crowd. We are certainly far to nice and something needs to be done to change our image imo.

[quote]Very good post BY, glad I''m not the only one who feels that way. I am also fed up with the little old Norwich and happy to be so attitude. We will never be the equal of the manures and arses of this w...[/quote]

Changing the colours of our team, great joke!....Unless you weren''t joking, in which case ermm no thanks.

Great post by the way, Bury Yellow.

[quote]Changing the colours of our team, great joke!....Unless you weren''t joking, in which case ermm no thanks. Great post by the way, Bury Yellow.[/quote]

There may have been a degree of tongue in cheek about what I said but having said that I'' m not particularly keen on yellow and green either.

Excellent post Bury Yellow. You, and all Norfolk lovers will have to forgive me for saying this however, but it does seem to me sometimes that, part of the problem is, "Norfolk loves what it''s got but does not like what it gets".

To kdncfc, with respect to the Norwich colours, I would only say similar colours have never been a problem for Brazil. It''s not the colour that intimidates....It''s the way a team plays football.

Otbc is the oldest football terrace anthem in the world! And you refuse to sing it. Pfft.

And how can you change the team''s colours?! Yellow and green are unique to us and really help premote our party atmosphere on those rare occassions such as playing in a Play-Off Final, taking over an entire stand at away grounds and winning the championship.

Change those things and you''re not supporting Norwich City football club anymore. You may as well knock Carrow Road down and go and play in a bland, souless 30,000 seater bowl while you''re at it.

Yeah right - the clubs PR is so terrible we manage to sign people like Aston, Francis, Bently, Huckerby and Safri.

Terrible innit.

Apart from Alan Walnut there is not a person I''ve ever met connected to the game who is anything less than extremely impressed with the current set up.

[quote]Otbc is the oldest football terrace anthem in the world! And you refuse to sing it. Pfft. And how can you change the team''s colours?! Yellow and green are unique to us and really help premote our par...[/quote]

Otbc may be the oldest football anthem but it doesn''t mean that everyone likes it or has to sing it. Yellow and green may well be our traditional colour but even though I haven''t missed a home game since 1972 and have attended many away games in that period I have never worn a replica shirt because I don''t like yellow and green. Doesn''t mean I''m any less of a fan because of it and as has been said many times before, we''re all entitled to our opinions. What does pfft actually stand for.

[quote]I appreciate I can only get on this board occasionally but the above headline on the Pink un site seems to sum up what I have gone on and on and on about over the last couple of years, ie. the PR of t...[/quote]

Brilliant post Bury Yellow, please send it up to the EEN letters page where it has got more chance of being seen by someone on the board.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I don''t go to football in the hope of getting a media savvy qoute from someone, I go to watch my local team. Who gives a stuff about PR, it''s this kind of thing that''s ruining football, turning from a sport into a media circus

[quote]KDNCFC, Is it that you don''t wear a shirt or that you don''t buy a shirt??[/quote]

Have bought several sweatshirts and t shirts with the club crest on over the years but the only replica shirts I have bought are for my children. I certainly have to wear a shirt nowadays being in my early 40,s to cover the old belly up.

If they change the colours of the Norwich City Coat of Arms, then perhaps the colours for NCFC could change. but that''s not going to happen, so forget about changing team colours. Unless we merge with another club, and are not Norwich City anymore... no way...

That''s blasphemous...

p-s... how big is XXXL, becuase I really am XXXL, but perhaps by UK standards I am XXXXXXL

i dont know whether the board are fully aware of how much norwich city football club''s support has grown in the last 4 or 5 years.it''s quite phenomenal, and it''s not just down to premiership football.i think we''ll see proof of that next
season-even if we are relegated to the championship, i fully expect sell-outs for most games.i believe the club missed a chance to satisfy the demand for tickets, by building an 8,000 seater Jarrold stand instead of a 12,000 capacity stand(as was mooted).Nigel Doncaster amazed me when he told the EDP last year, that the board were afraid they might not fill the 8,000 seater stand and consequently had been considering building a 6,000 seat stand instead.what a missed opportunity that would have been! without the benefit of Nigel''s financial nous, i could have told him at the time, that the only options were to
go for 8 or 12,000.