Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

So its allabout a 3 year contract

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

The way I see it the guy is looking after his future whilst his stock is high. I''m more than happy to have that future sewn up with us. The last three years gets him a lot of good will from me. I find it incredible that he''s getting so much stick for something off the pitch! have a look at his record. It''s phenomenal. Better than Ron Davies.

[/quote]

Yes I agree, mostly.

But can we afford to have a player maybe in his final crocked off, more often than not? Yes I know none of us can predict the future, but the older a player gets the more likely this could happen.

If it was YOUR money would you give him another year?

Oh and you can be safe in the knowledge he wanted more money too.
[/quote]

It wouldn''t be my money though. I don''t think any outcome will put the club in jeopardy as long as it remains in our wage structure. We might sign a Jamie Cureton this summer which would have a much worse affect than if Holty fades when he''s 33. I don''t care about who earns what Morty just about what happens on the pitch.

Agents are the scum of the game.

Don''t give Holt any extension to his contract, give a smidge of an improvement, a bit more financial security and go with that - if there will be any compromise.

We''re not obliged to do anything at the end of the day, we don''t have to sell and he''s under contract.

See what the new manager wants to do.

I can''t believe we''ve gone from Holty standing in front of The Barclay on the final day with his kids to a huge chant of "England''s Number 9", to this in just a couple of weeks.

Get yourselves back round the table and sort this out.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]If Holty had been a shrinking violet he would never have been the player he is.I won''t turn my back on him after everything he''s done for NCFC.[/quote]
He''s already turned his back on you and all of us.
[/quote]It''s a short career and he''s got a family to think of.It''s not a personal thing and he hasn''t turned his back on us.... he''s just looked at his life and decided to put security above martyrdom.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

The way I see it the guy is looking after his future whilst his stock is high. I''m more than happy to have that future sewn up with us. The last three years gets him a lot of good will from me. I find it incredible that he''s getting so much stick for something off the pitch! have a look at his record. It''s phenomenal. Better than Ron Davies.

[/quote]Yes I agree, mostly.But can we afford to have a player maybe in his final crocked off, more often than not? Yes I know none of us can predict the future, but the older a player gets the more likely this could happen.If it was YOUR money would you give him another year?Oh and you can be safe in the knowledge he wanted more money too.[/quote]

It wouldn''t be my money though. I don''t think any outcome will put the club in jeopardy as long as it remains in our wage structure. We might sign a Jamie Cureton this summer which would have a much worse affect than if Holty fades when he''s 33. I don''t care about who earns what Morty just about what happens on the pitch.

[/quote]Thats my point though, its about taking a financially tough stance. If Holt is on (total guess) 15k a week then that extra year costs us £780,000, throw in a pay rise and a cheeky agents fee then we''re talking about the best part of a million smackers.I don''t want to see us lose Holt either, but if he thought he could out hardball McNally then he really has let i tall go to his head. All too often, in recent years this club has been a soft touch for older players looking for a last big payday.

Can''t help but think a compromise should have been reached long ago, perhaps a one- year extension clause or something. But that isnt really the point - it is far more than this now: the club captain and his agent throwing their toys about, when we are in ''crisis mode'', is just not remotely clever....the pair look like a couple of to55ers more than anything.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Yes I agree, mostly.

But can we afford to have a player maybe in his final crocked off, more often than not? Yes I know none of us can predict the future, but the older a player gets the more likely this could happen.

If it was YOUR money would you give him another year?

Oh and you can be safe in the knowledge he wanted more money too.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats my point though, its about taking a financially tough stance. If Holt is on (total guess) 15k a week then that extra year costs us £780,000, throw in a pay rise and a cheeky agents fee then we''re talking about the best part of a million smackers.

I don''t want to see us lose Holt either, but if he thought he could out hardball McNally then he really has let i tall go to his head. All too often, in recent years this club has been a soft touch for older players looking for a last big payday.
[/quote]

As McNally said today "what would it cost to replace him"?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Can''t help but think a compromise should have been reached long ago, perhaps a one- year extension clause or something. But that isnt really the point - it is far more than this now: the club captain and his agent throwing their toys about, when we are in ''crisis mode'', is just not remotely clever....the pair look like a couple of to55ers more than anything.[/quote]

Yeah, now it looks like Holt''s decision is not related to Lambert, it makes his timing look even worse...

Complete kick in the balls for fans who are rightly devastated about Lambert leaving.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Yes I agree, mostly.But can we afford to have a player maybe in his final crocked off, more often than not? Yes I know none of us can predict the future, but the older a player gets the more likely this could happen.If it was YOUR money would you give him another year?Oh and you can be safe in the knowledge he wanted more money too.[/quote]

[/quote]Thats my point though, its about taking a financially tough stance. If Holt is on (total guess) 15k a week then that extra year costs us £780,000, throw in a pay rise and a cheeky agents fee then we''re talking about the best part of a million smackers.I don''t want to see us lose Holt either, but if he thought he could out hardball McNally then he really has let i tall go to his head. All too often, in recent years this club has been a soft touch for older players looking for a last big payday.[/quote]

[/quote]That was McNally selling him, live on Sky Sports.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Thats my point though, its about taking a financially tough stance. If Holt is on (total guess) 15k a week then that extra year costs us £780,000, throw in a pay rise and a cheeky agents fee then we''re talking about the best part of a million smackers.I don''t want to see us lose Holt either, but if he thought he could out hardball McNally then he really has let i tall go to his head. All too often, in recent years this club has been a soft touch for older players looking for a last big payday.[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Mcnally had a slightly different motivation when he said that![:)]

We''ll see. But spending the whole summer budget may not replace Holt adequately. Thank goodness we don''t have to make those decisions. All we have to do is cheer the goals and slate the club if they feck up.

I think you''re likely to see the new manager try and keep Holt here. It would be a good way to bed yourself into the fan base of you could convince the clubs want away captain to stick around.

What chance us signing a decent replacement for Holt.  All because in the last year of his deal he would be 33 years old. Did McNally not see Drogba winning the Champs League for Chelsea at 34.As for the jokes about McNally selling him, finding strikers with the quality to score consistent goals at this level is no mean feat.  Vaughan and Morison up front next season anyone?  We would be Championship by January.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Vaughan and Morison up front next season anyone?[/quote]Yep, sounds pretty good to me (assuming Vaughan can stay fit for more than a couple of games).

Ultimately Nutty we all really care about the on the pitch stuff, but in this day and age, you cannot ignore the off the pitch stuff, this is big business. The big business is already loaded in the players favour, so when a Club plays a little (minute I would say) hardball, then this sort of thing happens. That''s twice Holt has said he wants away, so ffs, under NO circumstances should he be playing for us next season. Get him out.

IMHO, contract negotiations should be dealt with in-house and not played out in public. Especially today of all days.

NCFC fans needed their captain today. That''s all that was needed to be in the public domain. Unfortunately ours, and his agent, were too busy checking their toys about. Today wasn''t the day, and in public wasn''t the way.

I''m not saying I agree with McNally''s stance but Drogba had proved himself at the highest level for the best part of a decade, so it''s not really a fair comparison. Plus Chelsea can afford to gamble.

Fair enough Crabby. Why don''t you play a bit of hardball too. If Holt stays then don''t cheer his goals. Just as a matter of principal[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel" Fair enough Crabby. Why don''t you play a bit of hardball too. If Holt stays then don''t cheer his goals. Just as a matter of principal.

I''m with you Nutty. Sounds to me that a contract extension might have secured him, even without a significant payrise. Just as we brought Wilbraham in, I can see other Prem clubs happy to give him and his family a bit of financial security before the games all up for him. Maybe Morison, Jackson and Vaughan will do the business for us next season - but I fear we may have cut our own noses here.

As for the bile now being aimed at our beloved "horse" - I wonder how many posters wouldn''t do much the same thing with a young family and knowing their remaining career was not only finite but short.

[quote user="claud"]IMHO, contract negotiations should be dealt with in-house and not played out in public. Especially today of all days.

NCFC fans needed their captain today. That''s all that was needed to be in the public domain. Unfortunately ours, and his agent, were too busy checking their toys about. Today wasn''t the day, and in public wasn''t the way.[/quote]Very much agree.

Has his agent spoken on radio norfolk tonight?

Or is the OP reading into the original interview last week?

We''ll see Crabby buddy[;)]

His record is awesome. It''s not just the amount of goals he''s scored but the rate he''s scored them. I was going to put a post up about it. I probably still will when things ease up a bit on here. Let''s hope it''s not a post about how good he WAS for us.

Holt is at the top of his earning power. Another 6 months of being sussed out by Prem defenders and Holt would be nearer 32 and on the earning decline. Does anyone else think that Holt might be a bit worried that ,now PL is going, a new manager may not think that Holt is the mutts nuts, and (again) his earning power will never be the same again?

Yet again, will people stop going on about his ''last big pay day'', or things like ''looking after his families interest'' or ''anyone would do the same if you were given a 200% pay increase''. It''s not his last pay day, he can do other jobs when he retires from football, and footballers wages are not the same as the average Joe.  

[quote user="morty"][quote user="claud"]IMHO, contract negotiations should be dealt with in-house and not played out in public. Especially today of all days. NCFC fans needed their captain today. That''s all that was needed to be in the public domain. Unfortunately ours, and his agent, were too busy checking their toys about. Today wasn''t the day, and in public wasn''t the way.[/quote]

Very much agree.
[/quote]

[Y]

I don''t begrudge Mr Holt wanting another year and nor do I mind him wanting a small pay rise, what I am disappointed in is the manner in which he/his agent has gone about it. Says a lot about the man to me when he slaps a transfer request in during the build up to a model pro''s testimonial and then follows it up with comments on Twitter today straight after Lambertgate. Could he have not asked for a 2 year contract on improved terms after next season once he proved he could do the business in the PL again? Maybe this is a simplistic view.

McNally came back to them after the testimonial and offered the 3 years deal that Holty had been waiting to sign but as the agent said it was too late by then.   ----    I ASK WHY ?

As others have said, don''t begrudge the concept of a third year, but the way he has gone about it is just wrong and makes him come across as a complete nob - fair play to McNally for being an arse - egos don''t belong at this club as egos have got other clubs relegated all too often