Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Refusing to sell players

In the end you sell. When the big boys announce their interest, the minnows like us must be fearful.

What often happens is that the player asks for a transfer, which is rejected. The big boys announce again, the player becomes unsettled and loses form. So the minnow club has to ask itself, "Do we want "X" to play in the reserves, given his salary level? Do we want to keep him on the wage bill without much use for the rest of his contract? No...let''s sell him for what we can get." The big boy and player then talk of arbitration, which usually splits the two competing estimates. The minnow feels pillaged and robbed.

It may be that some of our signings have escape clauses, certainly if we were to be relegated. Even if they haven''t, they have contracts to which we are unable to add extra clauses "Not to be sold to Aston Villa until July 2013" and the like. We have to face the fact that Villa, or anybody else, if they choose to announce an interest in one of our players, will ultimately be able to prise him away. Was it Alexander the Great, or his father Philip, who said "Any fortress can be taken by an ass laden with gold."? Money and the prospect of success wins in the end.

Most of our players do not interest the big clubs, because they have expensive interntional players, but I fear that we could lose one or two.

"We have to face the fact that Villa, or anybody else, if they choose to

announce an interest in one of our players, will ultimately be able to

prise him away. Was it Alexander the Great, or his father Philip, who

said "Any fortress can be taken by an ass laden with gold."? Money and

the prospect of success wins in the end."Yep - I am sure Leeds, Huddersfield, Brighton & Colchester fans would agree with you. Barring major investment it is always going to be tough to stop us selling to the likes of Villa. In the same way that it is always going to be tough for Villa to not sell to big four (See Milner, Downing, Barry, Young)

I won''t mind selling Holt now, there''s no point having him in the team if he''s not happy. However what I will take annoyance to is if Lambert decides he wants him at Villa. We surely can just put in the compensation agreement, as Swansea have, that he can''t raid us for a year?

It would be easy to just reject any compensation agreement that doesn''t involve this clause (unless they give us £20m).

Yes. In the end he''ll go to whoever offers him (and NCFC) the most money. Fact of life, I''m afraid.

I''ve seen some threads suggesting things along the lines of "let Holt rot in the reserves". Well, it''s all very well for the likes of Man City/Chelsea to take that sort of high-minded luxury, but, the fact is, for clubs like Norwich, it simply is not a financially sound option. If he''s made his mind up, then we may as well cash in. In any case, whoever the new manageris, he will doubtless have his own ideas, and want to bring his own people in.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Was it Alexander the Great, or his father Philip, who said "Any fortress can be taken by an ass laden with gold."?

[/quote]
Wise words...he should have tweeted it. [:)]