Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Paul Lambert's Aston Villa "warchest" ????

Has been quoted in the Daily Mail as being £10m-15m and in The Sun as £20m???.

Now, as a team that avoided relegation by a couple of points last season this doesnt give them a lot to work with and ceratinly nowhere near enough to get Lambert to "presumably" where he wants to go??.

I would suggest that they would need £10m just to get them up to our standard judging by what we saw against them at Carrow Road.......and thats before we spend this summer.

Didn''t Alan Bowkett recently say that the manager would have another £10m over and above what we spent last season?. Given that we spent approx £8m in August and another £5m in Jaunary , another £10m on top of this (plus £4/5m ?) for Holt and we''ve got more to spend than Lambert has??.

Villa are broke and I hope that its only a matter of time that Lambert finds this out and demonstrates his frustarion by walking out on them in the same way that Martin O''Neill did because of exactly the same thing.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]I think it''s the wages where we fall short.[/quote]

I think your right, but by most accounts Villa are bringing theirs down. Thats going to be a challenge in it''s own right bringing things like wages down while keeping harmony and trying to move forwards can be just if not more difficult than the lower wage issues we might have.

PL might not be the same manager with big name players. I wonder how he will fare with big egos in the dressing room if he is expected to spend big money. Or will Villa have the patience to wait for him to build a young hungry team?

[quote user="stewfil"]PL might not be the same manager with big name players. I wonder how he will fare with big egos in the dressing room if he is expected to spend big money. Or will Villa have the patience to wait for him to build a young hungry team?[/quote]Agreed - not to mention foreigners!

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

I think your right, but by most accounts Villa are bringing theirs down. Thats going to be a challenge in it''s own right bringing things like wages down while keeping harmony and trying to move forwards can be just if not more difficult than the lower wage issues we might have.

[/quote]

I thought McNally said today that we have no wage restrictions?

A Villa colleague of mine who is well connected at Villa Park told me 6 months ago that Randy Lerner is broke apparently his wife has taken him to the cleaners in their divorce settlement.

Dont know how true it is but he was speculating that unless another buyer comes in then Villa will be hunting in the relative bargain basement from now on.

Lambo seems a good fit based on that.

The rumours at the moment are that Lerner is willing to provide a typical O''Neill level of summer spending. If this is the case, and its coming from those who tend to be in tbe know, then we''re talking at somewhere between 30-40 million pounds.

Its always been the wages that are the issue and not fees.

Has McNally got Lambert''s list of targets, did Lambo give him the B list telling him it was the A list playing a game of double bluff so that Villa could pick up the prize targets like Snoddy while we swoop for the likes of Ince? Is the chief scout going to Villa and have we got his list. Are we going head to head with Villa for the same targets or are they going shopping in Harrods while we go to M&S? Has the new Manager got a list? It''s what keeps you awake at night, like when it''s snowing and you worry about whether the snowplough driver can get to work!

Why would we want players off of Paul Lamberts f''in ''list'', if we are getting a new manager?

If we got Hughton for example, why the f would he want us to spend £15m on Lambert''s list?

He will write his own bleedin list, probably one based on players that he wanted to sign when he was at Newcastle before getting unfairly sacked.

If your daughter rights a Christmas list for Santa, do you think your son would be happy if you used it to buy his presents?

Forget about Lambert''s list.... new manager, new ideas, new styles and formations, and that means different players.

[quote user="Militant Canary"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote] I thought McNally said today that we have no wage restrictions?

[/quote]

But you surely didn''t believe it? Of course we have a restriction on wages.

Spot on.jv. you move on. New.manager different targets. Thats why I can never understand why clubs sign players without a.manager chelsea today for example. Purchased by the.owner not manager

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Spot on.jv. you move on. New.manager different targets. Thats why I can never understand why clubs sign players without a.manager chelsea today for example. Purchased by the.owner not manager[/quote]

to be fair to Chelsea this "outrageous" transfer policy has landed them the champions league, 3 premierships in 7 years and numerous FA Cups......it cant be all wrong?!?!?

This is the bit about Lambert wanting to join Villa that I find very strange.

A few weeks ago before the end of the season reports coming out of Villa were that the only signings would be Bosmans with tight limit on wages (even if they stayed up). Yet now it is reported that £15-20m might be available.

Of course we''ve heard the same sort of things before from Randy Lerner and each time it''s all ended in tears.

I''ve got a feeling that ''war-chest'' might be reliant on selling first - Dunne, Warnock, Ireland, Bent?

Lambert might regret moving from a club on the way up to one on the way down.

[quote user="FourFourTwo"]This is the bit about Lambert wanting to join Villa that I find very strange. A few weeks ago before the end of the season reports coming out of Villa were that the only signings would be Bosmans with tight limit on wages (even if they stayed up). Yet now it is reported that £15-20m might be available. Of course we''ve heard the same sort of things before from Randy Lerner and each time it''s all ended in tears. I''ve got a feeling that ''war-chest'' might be reliant on selling first - Dunne, Warnock, Ireland, Bent? Lambert might regret moving from a club on the way up to one on the way down.[/quote]

Had this conversation yesterday and came to the conclusion that Both Lambert and Rodgers could well end up regretting the move,Lambert at the moment has not spoken to them as compensation not agreed, so he might not like what he is told when he do get to see them,and turn them down, What will he do then? we are now looking for his replacement, so he could end up searching for another club,If this happens then I would offer Ian Culverhouse the job along with Carsa, and probably bring in Lee Clark as well.  

There are only a few players that fit the requirements of clubs with our budget and strategy (as set out by our Board), and that is why we ended up snatching Ryan Bennett from Swansea at the eleventh hour. Of course clubs with similar budgets have many of the same players as targets, and guess what, that means the lists have many similarities whatever style of football is played or who the Manager is. A good player is a good player. Whoever our new Manager will be, and I hope it''s Chris Hughton, they will be competing directly with Lambert for the same players, cos Villa have''nt got any more money than we have.

I really don''t think Norwich will be spending the same or even half of what we will this summer.

[quote user="Dodds"]I really don''t think Norwich will be spending the same or even half of what we will this summer.[/quote]

that maybe true.......after Lambert is forced to sell Bent to raise funds as he''s the only player in your team with any value!!!

got a spare 50 million hanging about?

We spent circa 15 last year and its been announced that its being added to by £10 plus perhaps 5-6 for holt looking at £30m!

There will be a lot of players leaving the Villa, thank God, and Bent wont be one of them.

I fully expect Lambert to get a lot more out of N''Zogbia and get another winger in to feed Bent. He is who we should be building the team around.

but the fact remains the transfer budget will be roughly the same if not in our favor, with yours funded through player sales.

Lambert has taken you as i think any manager who is worth his salt could steer your team to mid table obscurity. He will do that and better and it will rise his own personal stock even further. Then take a job like spurs for instance.

Fact you say? Well fair enough if you know best. We''ll see in September I guess.

Not quite fact, but You obviously had to go through the press, as it was in the nationals well before a response from us. Hence why i believe the pretty low figures being quoted that is a "war chest". There is obviously a press insider or your way of tempting lambert was through media channels.

While you have a decent squad on paper what we saw turn up at Carrow road was pathetic, it will take time to turn that around.

[quote user="Dodds"]Fact you say? Well fair enough if you know best. We''ll see in September I guess.[/quote]
Okay how about these for some facts. Villa last season sold Ashley Young and Stewart Downing for a combined transfer fee of £27 million pounds. You spent £13 million pounds on N''Zogbia, Given and Hutton. You didn''t sell before you brought, you sold and then spent less than half of the money. Doesn''t paint a very pretty picture.

I would imagine that Lambert will have been told by Faulkner and Lerner what his budget is rather than picking up the Sun. There are a lot of noises that it will be an MON level of spending this summer, so for a paper who has just called something correct they can follow it up with anything and attach credability to it.

As for the game, I said at the time that the players knew he was a gonner. It was less than half arsed.

[quote user="Dodds"]I would imagine that Lambert will have been told by Faulkner and Lerner what his budget is rather than picking up the Sun. There are a lot of noises that it will be an MON level of spending this summer, so for a paper who has just called something correct they can follow it up with anything and attach credability to it.

As for the game, I said at the time that the players knew he was a gonner. It was less than half arsed.[/quote]
What, like signing Heskey on £60,000 a week?