Sign in to follow this  
Ark

Where does all the money come from??

In response to Wynn-Jones''s comments on the front page...First. He''s spot on as a fan.Second. Where do these PL chiefs think their precious God-given TV money comes from???NEWS FLASH... It''s football supporters in general who subscribe to Sky TV or choose to watch the Ads in ITVs coverage of the Champions'' League.So why should all this money go to the biggest clubs when the prize money can only be so great thanks to the fans of smaller clubs who tune in every week?Answer. IMO it shouldn''t. Maybe the successful clubs should earn more. But the current situation is ludicrous. Look at clubs in the lower leagues unlikely to earn even £1million a season from TV coverage - That''s less than 1/30 of what a "poor" PL club like ourselves gets!!

Have to agree with everything he says. Although I am resigned to the fact that nothing will ever be done about it. Not whilst the people at the top are making money - which is what it''s all about.

Well... Their shareholders may benefit at least. Don''t know if the fans really get much out of the deal - I certainly wouldn''t want to be paying the season ticket prices they''ve got at the likes of Chelsea or Arsenal!!

The fans could potentially have a big say in this if everyone got together and cancelled their sky sports subscription until the playing field was levelled out a bit. The money would then not be there to make the fat cats even fatter. I think the championship is far better value for money than the prem and was it not for the vast difference in tv money I wouldn''t be that bothered if we were in the championship, at least we are capable of winning more games at that level. The prem has become a bit of a pointless exercise imo with only 3 clubs in with a relistic chance of success and something needs to be done before even more fans become disillusioned with it.

[quote]The fans could potentially have a big say in this if everyone got together and cancelled their sky sports subscription until the playing field was levelled out a bit. The money would then not be there...[/quote]

The problem is 90% of people who subscribe to Sky don''t go to football matches. They''re your average fans who don''t have a particular team or support two or three clubs rather than being passionate about one. 

To that kind of person, what gain is it to cancel their Sky subscription? They want to see the best players in the world playing for them on their TV. They don''t care if Norwich go down because of the money gap or if Cambridge fold.

The truth is that a significant proportion of football fans subscribing probably will be passionate about a particular club - I certainly know a few, but to counter-balance that there''s always those people who subscribe for the other sports I guess (as if there''s such thing!). And then there''s all those that are just far too rich for their own good and just go for the Sky World package cos its just such "good value" (?!).

It''s probably time that fans like us stand up behind our board if they''re calling for a change, and with a bit of cojolling perhaps the fans of some of the bigger clubs might just realise that it''s for their good too in the long-term - don''t forget not all supporters are as short-sighted as the shareholders + executives (just look at Man U and Glazier''s millions).