Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

So who are we going to bring in to replace Holt

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I don''t know buddy. I haven''t listened to Radio Norfolk or even read any articles on who said what. TBH I don''t really care when it comes to discussing the merits of our players. Whether he''s greedy, selfish and unpopular or grateful and popular right now doesn''t matter to me. I just really hope he is leading us out in August. None of this changes anything about his performances for us. He''s still scored 70 goals in three seasons. He''s scored them at an unbelievable rate for a modern day player. His 1.86 games per goal is better than Ron Davies and of our top twenty all-time scorers only Ralph Hunt (1.83) and Roy Hollis (1.81) have a better record. When you consider his three seasons have included a season in the top division that record is phenomenal. That buys him so much good will from me. Whilst there''s still a chance I would have thought keeping him is the best option.

Wilbraham hasn''t upset anyone with his demands. But that doesn''t mean we should offer him a new contract. It''s what yolu do on the field that counts. Holt did enough last year to increase his value to us. Perhaps McNally should make more effort to recognise that. Because we need winners in our tema not meek and mild yes men.

[/quote]

Fair points, but what isn''t clear is the unsettling effect his demands will have on the rest of the team. It can''t be good, at a time when you''ve just lost the best manager at the club for 20 years or more, for your captain to jump ship and further drain morale from the squad.

I work in a field where trust, integrity and morale are everything. People who don''t show the required characteristics can be (rightly or wrongly) marginalised. I''m not suggesting that the team dynamic in my job is the same as that of a football club, but from personal experience, it''s not hard for one person''s attitude or actions to have far reaching consequences.

Holt can''t win games on his own, despite the assertions of many posters on this board. He needs the rest of the team to perform around him, and it''s possible that his continued presence could have a negative effect on those performances (all IMO).
[/quote]

That''s guesswork though because everything looked fine at the Villa game and they''re all on holiday now. He''s been captain for 3 seasons and it''s been progress all the way so we''ve seen no sign of any split on the field.

His transfer request hadn''t been handed in prior to the Villa game, and let''s be honest...we''d have looked OK in that game if we''d fielded Drayton U12s.I don''t really want players here who don''t want to be here. Just my feelings, but I''ve got no problem with people feeling differently.

I''ve got no problems either QH. I just feel that with all the modern day "media 24 hour sports news channel twittering" that''s going on we''re all losing a bit of focus on what really matters to supporters.

Tbh i feel we have more than enough cover to replace holt. People seem to forget Moro scored 9 goals last season and with a fit again Vaughan (fingers crossed) and jacko,with maybe c martin back in the new managers fold,we hav an able strike force and with more refs not bein conned by holts ''touch me and i drop'' antics i can see only 1 more striker coming in.

I tend to agree with nutty regarding Holt, though we do not know all the facts. Do we really think we will keep the like of Howson, Pilks, Benno etc if we do not pay comparable wages to teams around us ? I know we have to reduce the debt and in a weird way we might have been able to keep Lambert and reduce a bit more if we got relegated. Not that I am advocating it just that with Lambert and probably Holt gone and then I can foresee Lambert sniffing around our younger players I think it will be incredibly hard to stay up this season. I think Mcnally can play the ''hardball'' bit too extreme sometimes. Time will tell I guess, but please not Bruce.