Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Can we hang on to Ashton?

What do people think about us retaining Deano for next season? (assuming we are in the championship, which we will be) 

After his eyecatching performances for the U21s, and his quietly efficient performances in a City shirt, can we prevent a dull, pointless, midtable Premiership team (Birmingham, Man City etc) from getting their grubby hands on him?

I would really like to think so.  He has proven already this season that he is unstoppable at Championship level, but I think that it might be optimistic to think that we can keep hold of him.

Thoughts?

I think we can keep him. Worthy seems to want to keep hold of him and i think after Greeno and Damo going he wont want to let anyone else go. It is possible that he could be sold but i think i will stay with us

Im sure he will be with us next season. I cant see Worthy and the Board would have pinned Citys hopes of avoiding the drop purley on Ashton,but i think if we dont get promoted next season (if we are relegated) then he will be off. 

Not sure if it is really up to Worthy.  Obviously he would want to keep him, but if Big Dean wants out, and a club put a decent bid in, then there''s not a lot they can do (eg his exit from Crewe).

Additionally, there may be a clause in his contract regarding relegation.  I''m not saying it is a release clause, it could be a minimum fee clause, in which, after relegation, if a club comes in with a certain bid, City have to accept it.  This type of clause would have protected both City''s and Deano''s interests at contract signing time, ensuring that Dean can get out if he wants, but City are guarenteed a decent pay day.

It might be hard.  However, several factors will work in our favour:

1. If a club wants Deano they are going to have to stump up the cash.  I should think we will want at least what we paid for him.  Some clubs might not want to take that gamble.
  2. It would have to be an attractive enough a option for him to go.  I.e. I doubt he''d go to Wigan, Sunderland or Ippo
  3. He''s only just settled into Norfolk.  It must have been quite a wrench to leave Crewe and move here.  Will he want to do that all over again?

I think we would be very foolish to let Deano go easily, and sure we won''t.  For me, he''s looking the best striker we''ve had since Chris Sutton and that is saying something

What would it take to prise Ashton away, bids would have to exceed £3m otherwise we will take a loss on the deal with payment owed to Crewe.  Will anyone pay more for a promising player who has sparkled in patches for a handful of games.  This seems unlikely and I expect Deano to lead our charge next season, if it doesn''t succeed it will be goodbye Deano.  I am also sure the rewards are detailed in his contract for staying loyal.

if the price is right (a very high price indeed) i wouldnt bet on norwich turning the offer down...... could clear the debt and make some cash for new players.

But same for francis, if they stay.... they are the loyalist players i know!

Unless someone offers 5 million or more I don''t think he''ll be going anywhere, if we fail to go straight back up then I think he''ll go. 

From Official site (first time i''ve been on it properly in a while because of those stupid Barclays adverts on every page!!)

"You don''t want to think about what will happen next season because we are still playing this one," he said.

"But I signed for three-and-a-half years and am looking to the future. If the worst did come to the worst I would look to stay and help get us back again."

Not this old chestnut again. Deano moved here knowing full well he could be in Div 1 next season, it was his decision and he''s already said he''s here for the long term. It would take a very big offer for the club to sell, something they don''t have to do - case closed

I can''t see the club selling him in the summer if we are relegated. I think that the board and Worhthy see Ashton as an integral part of their plans to do a Charlton and bounce straight back up. To sell Ashton in the summer would be like chucking all those carefully laid plans in the bin. If we don''t go straight back up then yes i feel he will definitely leave then.

[quote]I can''t see the club selling him in the summer if we are relegated. I think that the board and Worhthy see Ashton as an integral part of their plans to do a Charlton and bounce straight back up. To se...[/quote]

Agree jimbo this is part of the charlton blueprint that the club keep telling us they are working towards .