Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Give Holt his 3 years

I am quite cross about the Holt situation if it really is contractual. As regards the lambert situation McNasty has played it perfectly and deserves praise. Well done. But why on earth refuse Holt his three year contract?

The fact is the man just had a magic season and likes it here. If he has just one more in a similar vein then he will keep us up again and the extra money raised will more than cover his extra years even if he is past it by then - which he may not be anyway. Look at Sheringham. To my mind he is a late developer and has plenty left in the tank.

Secondly we are not going to replace him as regards goals and all else he does for less than £15million - so again why not give him the contract?

If feels to me that egos are clashing and if the club could just eat a little humble pie then we retain our main striker and it will make this week feel just a little better. To lose Lambert was bad enough but at least out of our control- to offer Holt a massively good thank you contract is within our power. Just do it!

Would be foolish to offer a player of Holt''s age a 3 year contract given the clubs current league position....

Yes he''s done well but he isn''t getting any younger...

Whilst I feel Holt couldn''t have gone about this in a worse manner if he''d tried (from not thinking he should wait his turn to the timing of his requests), I still want to see him wearing that number 9 shirt come August. I understand that the club can''t just cave to every players demands but I hope this situation is recoverable, although that''s sounding less and less likely.

His withdrawal of his transfer request would give the whole club a massive boost.

Holt is only going to be 34-35 in 3 seasons, Kevin Davies still did OK for Bolton this season at 35, not fantastic sure, but he still got 6 goals and a few assists. I don''t see why Grant couldn''t do the same. His game isn''t about pace and to be honest he''s in better shape now than he was in either of the 2 previous seasons.

I know McNally like to play hard, and we love him for it. But there comes a point where playing hardball become being a bit of a dick

Did I see somewhere that he was actually offered his 3 years, but then his agent decided to try and push things a bit further, so McNally, quite rightly , told them do do one.

I think it was said that McNally came back to Holt and Payne with the contract they wanted a week after the testimonial, but they rejected it as they felt too much damage had been done.

I think we need to ban the internet until we get everything sorted, only way to stop all the rumours. Someone give China a call.

In his interview on Radio Norfolk Holts agent said we had agreed to 3 years but by then it was to late.

My opinion is Holt is being badly advised by his agent who should be known as piles, like him they are a "payne" in the @rse.

Perhaps McNally would have spoken to Lambert about the 3 year deal, and this was a his decision as Manager.

Holts future will be decided when the new man comes in. If he doesn''t fancy him it will be interesting if Paul Lambert comes in for him.

Holt does not have a leg to stand on. He signed a new contract last year, and still has two years on his current one. Players do not have their contract renewed every year, it just does not work like that. You cannot sign a contract with no intention to fulfil it. No doubt he''d also want a pay rise with it also, probably to the tune of 5 or 10 grand a week, a lot of money. McNally has every right to tell him to F-off. It''s just ridiculous of him, as club captain, to hand in a request because he wants a new improved contract when he''s still got 2 years on his current one, especially when we don''t usually handle contract renewals ''till late anyway.

If the rumours are true of West Ham offering 4.5 million for him I''d snap their hands off and get a replacement like Jordan Rhodes in.

This whole situation is starting to really piss me off now...

How about holty being told do your talking on the pitch again next season and every goal

you score buys you an additional 1 month extension to your current contract.

So 12 goals you get your year extra, city stay in premier league and everyone happy.

Come on holty go for it big man and prove to us how much you love this club

and the fans. we backed you from the day you arrived from obscurity and a little bit

of humble pie would ensure your LEGEND status.

We can forgive, cos we are Norwich City

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Players should not be able to treat the club as their hostage.  Stick him in the reserves and let him rot.

[/quote]

Or sell him to anyone but Villa?

Completely agree with the OP. Frankly, it''s embarrassing if it''s true that we''ve quibbled with him over his contract after everything he''s contributed over the last 3 years.

Something like this may well have been the catalyst in Lambo leaving. We better make damn sure it doesn''t go on to completely destablise the squad.

Give the man his contract.

I''d be happy to let him rot for two years after the ridiculous way him and his agent have gone about things.

If he feels he''s deserving of a three year contract, if he had another good season I''m sure he''d get one. It''s just stupid to say he should be getting a new contract with 2 years left, unless he was worth £20 million +, which he just isn''t

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Whilst I feel Holt couldn''t have gone about this in a worse manner if he''d tried (from not thinking he should wait his turn to the timing of his request) [/quote]

No offence mate but you''ve no idea what you''re talking about. You simply don''t know what''s gone on or what''s provoked Holt to hand in a transfer request.

It''s not contractual - it''s about money. Another year would give him, and cost us, somewhere in the region of a million quid.Then once he''s assured of getting it the Club has to wait 2 seasons to find out if he''s still worth it.  Far better to see how next season goes & revisit the situation then.

I think holts agent is to blame for this fiasco.

He cant be very asute or he would have got holty a longer contract in the

1st place

I know exactly what provoked him to hand in his request. His agent blubbed it all out live in the radio yesterday, and my opinion is that it''s been handled badly.

So you can blow me. No offence.

Well what if his numpty agent happens to be telling the truth in that he was told last March his situation would be reviewed this March depending on Holt''s year and then Mcnally does keep stalling for two months - then surely if you were him you would be pissed ! Then he tells your agent that he ''would not lose any sleep over it'' if a transfer request were handed in this would pretty much force you into a corner to do it. I fear without his goals we may struggle next year, though it might be too late. Who is next for Mcnally''s ''Hardball'' ? Howson , Pilks when lambert comes sniffing ? In this division gotta pay the money or you will lose the player''s and if you can''t then you will lose them i''m afraid.

[quote user="Making Plans"]It''s not contractual - it''s about money.
Another year would give him, and cost us, somewhere in the region of a million quid.
Then once he''s assured of getting it the Club has to wait 2 seasons to find out if he''s still worth it. 
Far better to see how next season goes & revisit the situation then.[/quote]

Bloomin'' ''eck MP, this sin''t football manager! We don''t have to make decisions on who can earn how much at what age! The players are all individuals and each has individual qualities and needs. It''s up to McNally to sort this out. It''s his job, not ours. Our job is to support the team. I''m still behind Holty because McNally''s not going to score any goals next season...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Making Plans"]It''s not contractual - it''s about money. Another year would give him, and cost us, somewhere in the region of a million quid.Then once he''s assured of getting it the Club has to wait 2 seasons to find out if he''s still worth it.  Far better to see how next season goes & revisit the situation then.[/quote]

Bloomin'' ''eck MP, this sin''t football manager! We don''t have to make decisions on who can earn how much at what age! The players are all individuals and each has individual qualities and needs. It''s up to McNally to sort this out. It''s his job, not ours. Our job is to support the team. I''m still behind Holty because McNally''s not going to score any goals next season...

[/quote]But since Grant tweeted it, and his agent gobbed off to anyone who would listen this has become our business. Frankly most of us would rather not know what goes on.But Grant and his idiot agent put this in the public domain, and very cynically exploited the timing of Lambert''s departure too.Tacky and classless.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]So why don''t you tell us what you know that Payne didn''t tell us on the radio last night?[/quote]

My point is, no one knows exactly what''s gone on - whether it''s promises reneged upon, noses put out of joint thru new signings more money, agents interferring, or Lambert having already given the heads-up that he was planning to leave.

The fact is, if we lose Holt (a guy who cost £400k and who''s scored 70 goals in 3 seasons) over a contract extension, we''re going to look very stupid indeed. There will be clubs queuing up to sign him and I''m personally tired of people with short memories slagging him off and thinking they know the facts of life.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]The fact is, if we lose Holt (a guy who cost £400k and who''s scored 70 goals in 3 seasons) over a contract extension, we''re going to look very stupid indeed. [/quote]Look, the whole contract extension story is a smoke screen. What it''s really about is money. Holt isn''t that bothered if he''s stil playing effectively in 3 years time. All he''s thinking about is getting another guranteed million quid for still being on the books.

But we do know what went on, at least from Holt''s perspective. I''ve not once slagged him off. Not once. In fact I''ve been one of the few saying I want the situation to be resolved, not for him to be auctioned off to the highest bidder, or left to rot in the reserves. Doesn''t mean I don''t think he''s handled the whole situation badly though, or that his agent has let him down as much as he''s let us down.