Sign in to follow this  
cotswold canary

Are Villa really a better prospect than Norwich right now?

With the side PL was building are Villa really a better prospect that Norwich. Neither sides have had much league or european success over the passed few years and I feel PL was on the brink of something very big here at Norwich. PL had already released some players (which a new manager may feel have a place in his team) and he must have been 90% sure then that he would be off. I just feel PL has jumped ship 2 seasons too soon for Norwich and himself. I thought PL would not be with us after seeing him shake everyones hand in the Norwich dug out on tthe final whistle on the last game of the season, it really looked like a thank you and good bye.

I''m really not sure who I''d like to see in his place, as 3 years ago who would have had PL at the top of their list.

Anyway heres to next season win or lose hit the booze COYY

You can tell from the rolling contract that Lambert does not have a medium/long time horizon in his planning.

Think of it as Football manager 2012 in career mode no loyalty or preference.

We see 35,000 stadium, debt free etc etc but to a manager....

Us

Salary 800k/1 mil

Transfer fees 10-20 million

wages 15/20k week

Villa

Salary 1/2 million

transfer fees 20-30 million

and max player wage 50-80K

Big Club/top 3-6

Salary 4/7 million a season

Transfer Fees 30-50 million

max player wages 80-200,000 per week+

And as you can see as soon as he gets an offer from a larger fish if he is lucky he will be off again.

Lambert got us playing to the top of our potential. If he gets Villa playing to the top of their potential, they could finish top 7. So yes, they''re a better prospect than us.

[quote user="Largey24"]Lambert got us playing to the top of our potential. If he gets Villa playing to the top of their potential, they could finish top 7. So yes, they''re a better prospect than us.[/quote]

You  obviously were not at the last game of the season !! They  are barely a top half team playing to  their potential.. I  think we will finish above them again next year .

[quote user="cotswold canary"]

With the side PL was building are Villa really a better prospect that Norwich.[/quote]

Well, Lambert obviously thought so, in which case I''m not sure our opinion matters.

["Fromage Frais"]You can tell from the rolling contract that Lambert does not have a medium/long time horizon in his planning.

Think of it as Football manager 2012 in career mode no loyalty or preference.

We see 35,000 stadium, debt free etc etc but to a manager....

Us

Salary 800k/1 mil

Transfer fees 10-20 million

wages 15/20k week

Villa

Salary 1/2 million

transfer fees 20-30 million

and max player wage 50-80K

Big Club/top 3-6

Salary 4/7 million a season

Transfer Fees 30-50 million

max player wages 80-200,000 per week+

And as you can see as soon as he gets an offer from a larger fish if he is lucky he will be off again.

This is the bottom line I''d say!

I think Randy Lerner talks a good game, whether he can back Lambert with the cash that''s being talked about I think is questionable.

Norwich were open and honest about the budget they could afford, I think there might be a big gap between what Lerner says will be available and the reality.

It''s really difficult to tell where Villa really sit in terms of their natural premier league position, last year the venomous atmosphere created by the Villa fans who wanted McNish out produced a consistent under performance at home and little support away. Lambert will benefit from the fans being behind him and them actually getting the benefit of the size of their home crowd.

Look at the Villa side and there are a few big names, I just wonder if one or two will need to be sold to fund any buys.