Sign in to follow this  
henrik

no news on Cully and Karsa

Personally I think people make too much of ex players connection to their old clubs.

I would imagine that having coached alongside Paul Lambert at Wycombe, Colchester and City Culverhouse (very much like Mark Bowen and Mark Hughes) will stick with his man.

Lambert also spoke very passionately about him recently and hoiw crucial his role was tactically and on the training pitch. Lambert will do everything to keep him.

It''s a non starter for me.

It''s not nailed on that Culverhouse and Karsa will follow Lambert, they were together at Wycombe before Lambert''s arrival and with Culverhouse''s ties to the area he may not want to leave. I sincerely hope they stay, in whatever capacity they will get my full support.

That being said I think they''ll all be at Villa by the end of the day.

Money talks, Manager of Norwich will pay a lot more than Assistant at Villa. It''s all down to if Mcnally wants him for the job.

I can''t see McNally gambling our Premier League status on a

newbie. Culverhouse has no experience and would constitute a huge risk.We did the sentimentality bit before gambling on Gunn, Butterworth and Crook. Looks where that got us.In any case, I can''t see Culverhouse wanting to break up his successful working relationship with Lambert and Karsa.

Because of how highly Lambert rates him I would be shocked if Lambert had walked without cully agreeing to join him. I expect the 3 of them to leave. A fresh start is needed for me.one candidate sticks out for me ... Step forward Chris hughton

[quote user="JF"]Money talks, Manager of Norwich will pay a lot more than Assistant at Villa. It''s all down to if Mcnally wants him for the job.[/quote]

Only time will tell, but Culverhouse must be on the list and he do know all the players and Lamberts summer targets, I say go for him and support him, we could be in for a suprise.  

I fully understand and warm to the logic of culverhouse. What we do not know on the outside is can he make the stap up, mc nalley will have a view. If he has confidence in him fine offer it to him and he would be a fool to turn it down, most have to start in the lower leagues

Give them time! As far as I know, Lambert hasn''t actually signed for Villa, so it would be premature for C & K to do anything else. I''ll wager, however, that he is keeping them informed of what is happening at Villa Park. If Lambert takes over at Villa, then I would expect the duo to go, and sweep away what is already there in management. It seems that Lambert relies heavily on his assistants, especially Culverhouse.

[quote user="JF"]Money talks, Manager of Norwich will pay a lot more than Assistant at Villa. It''s all down to if Mcnally wants him for the job.[/quote]It''s not all about the money though, is it? Things are never so clear cut.Have you considered if Culverhouse actually WANTS to be a manager?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]surely if we were to offer him the job tho he would take it?[/quote]Why would he if he doesn''t want to be manager?As I''ve posted several times already, Culverhouse is an excellent number 2. Others have said what he prefers too.

I''d like it to be him, he obviously does a lot more than coach, you can tell that by watching him during the matches. That along with Lambert saying how he has recommended players etc makes me believe he has a greater role than a lot of assistants.

If we want him I''d imagine we''d already have had to offer it to him, otherwise he''ll be off. I get he feeling from what McNally''s said and general rumours that this hasn''t happened.

Next season is going to be shit, of the top 20 on odd checker there are 3 that I can imagine doing an OK job (one of those being Culverhouse)..

Just because Culverhouse has been Asst for a while, it doesn''t necessarily follow that he doesn''t want to try his hand at management: it could be that he is waiting for an opportunity to come up, and managing a PL side that he has an affinity to would certainly represent that. IMO the chances are that he and Karsa are fully aware of what is going on and will follow Lambert to Villa, but the alternate scenario can''t be excluded.

Re people saying that ex players don''t work, this would be far more than that, as the guy has done his ''apprenticeship'' in the ranks - promoting from within can work well, as we saw in the 80s and 90s.

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"]Totally the wrong reason to give someone a job - to spite someone else. Pathetic IMO.

Culverhouse will go with Lambert. As will Karsa. I keep saying it. Lambert won''t survive Villa without them.
[/quote]

Is it really pathetic??......and if youre suggesting that Lambert wouldn''t survive without them then surely they must have some qualities that we should try and keep here?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"]Totally the wrong reason to give someone a job - to spite someone else. Pathetic IMO.

Culverhouse will go with Lambert. As will Karsa. I keep saying it. Lambert won''t survive Villa without them.
[/quote]

Is it really pathetic??......and if youre suggesting that Lambert wouldn''t survive without them then surely they must have some qualities that we should try and keep here?

[/quote]

Yes it is absolutely 100% pathetic to want to offer somebody the job just to spite somebody.

You should want to the offer them the job because you believe they are the right person for the job.

It''s like getting with your ex''s best friend just to spite them for leaving you. When does that ever actually work?

I for one think Culverhouse could be the right person but I also have no feelings of hatred or pettiness towards Lambert that makes me want to spite him.

He built this club back up, now let someone else come in and continue the work and hopefully do better.

Offer it to him, but I expect him to decline and go with Lambert. Has he ever been manager anywhere, and does he want the ultimate responsibility?

If he is willing, I think that we could do a lot worse. He feels a loyalty to the club that Lambert clearly never had, he has the respect of the players and does much of the day work with them. I suspect that the candidate-player watching and judgement is mainly by him.

The only doubt I have is whether he is the type of person who prefers to be" behind the scenes", but he would answer this if he accepted. I certainly think that he should be asked.

All managerial appointments are a gamble.

The fact that the players know, like and respect Culverhouse and that he is more likely to keep the squad together in these difficult times is a major odds-reducing factor for me.

None of us can be sure of the true extent of his influence over the past three seasons, except PL, and his praise was magnamanimous. Ian C. hardly trumpets himself after all..

If he is promoted from within it will be for good reasons and I will be happy to go along with Culverhouse as manager.

Neither do I believe this precedent thing about assistants or other appointments within a club hardly ever making the step-up. For every failure in this respect there has probably been a success story (as at NCFC in the past) and it is likely on a par with normal managerial success rates or otherwise.

I wouldn''t give it to Culverhouse on the basis of spiting Lambert, although that would be an added bonus. I''d give it to him on the basis of being the right man for us, and from what I understand of his importance in what''s happened here in the past 3 years and being able to continue that vision, I think he is that man.

In these uncertain times job security will be upper most in Culverhouse''s thinking.If he follows Lambert to Villa and they make it a success he''s a winner. If however he follows Lambert and they flop he can expect a hefty compensation pay out. It''s a no brainer, especially as he won''t be blamed for any failure. Once out of a job he can then look to strike out on his own in the lower leagues and try to make a name for himself..... if indeed that''s what he wants to do.

Are we looking to promote the wrong person?

Head of football operations at Carrow Road id Gary Karsa, with whom Ian Culverhouse has worked with more often than Paul Lambert.

A good old Norfolk saying "If it ain''t broke don''t mend it". Ian Culverhouse has done a marvelous job as a coach, let that continue but could Karsa be elevated to a managerial role, keeping the continuity at the club. Has Karsa''s importance been overlooked? Both would merit a better financial deal to make it attractive. But would it work?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"]Totally the wrong reason to give someone a job - to spite someone else. Pathetic IMO.Culverhouse will go with Lambert. As will Karsa. I keep saying it. Lambert won''t survive Villa without them.[/quote]

[/quote]Lambert knows Norwich probably wont survive without Holts goals bet it does not stop him trying to sign him , time to get real Lambert is scum and should be treated as such

Culverhouse has been doing the vast majority of Lamberts job awayway.Losing him would be a bigger blow than losing Lambert or Holt.NCFC should do whatever it takes to keep him. Sit down with him and make him an offer that he can''t refuse.If he doesn''t want to do the media interviews side of things then get Mark Robins or Adam Drury, or even Hucks to do it for him.If Culverhouse still doesn''t want to be manager then get Chris Hughton. Culverhouse might be able to work with him as they were at Spurs together.Also, Villa are rivals and Lambert would struggle without Culverhouse.We must do EVERYTHING to keep Culverhouse!

[quote user="bringbackandyhughes"]Culverhouse will be off with Lambert. No chance of him staying I''m afraid. He is the reason for Lamberts success as he does most of the work.[/quote]

Stop presenting what you surmise as fact Andy. You may well be right, but at this moment in time, it is not a geven.

Neither do I accept the view of those who reduce the appointment of Culverhose as the next manager of NCFC to a spoiling tactic for PL at Villa. A lot of very valid reasons for appointing IC have been put forward in this thread, spite being just one of them and that''s a human nature thing.