Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

Russell Martin on Lambert's departure......

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/120603/exclusive-%E2%80%93-martin-new-manager-will-give-norwich-fresh-impetus-173564

Sorry can''t do a proper linky thingy.

"Russell Martin believes that having a new manager next season could stop the dreaded ‘second season syndrome’ from hitting Norwich City.

The Canaries have enjoyed an incredible three years with Paul Lambert guiding them up from League One to 12th in the Premier League.

But now their boss has left to join Aston Villa and the defender thinks the next incumbent of the Carrow Road hotseat will give them momentum going into the new season.

“[Paul Lambert leaving] might work in our favour,” said Martin. “A lot of teams struggle in their second season but with a new manager coming in everyone has to prove themselves again and everyone is on a clean slate so it might give us a bit of fresh impetus going into the new season.

“I’m sure the club will be trying to get [the managerial situation] resolved quickly and I think, whatever manager comes in, they’re inheriting a squad where the strength lies in our team spirit. The togetherness and the closeness of the lads has played a major part in getting us through the last two or three years.

“Whoever comes in will have their own ideas and make a few changes and hopefully he thinks he’s inheriting a good squad because we’ve got a really strong squad there at the minute.

“The boys haven’t got any preference. You put your trust in the board and the chief executives to make the right decision for the club as they did with Paul Lambert.”

Good on you Russ - what a trooper. Fantastic attitude, need more of him. Deserves to be captain if it weren''t for the fact he prob won''t have a nailed on place in the first 11.

Elliot Bennett has also been on twitter saying that hes looking forward to a new chapter so sounds like some of the players are pulling together to dispel the myth that the club is in turmoil as suggested by the Sun.

It also sounds like some of the squad aren''t too happy with the actions of PL IF they were led to believe that he was staying.  PL may be burning too many bridges as a young manager which may come back to haunt him down the road if it''s widely held that his word means nothing.

At last, something I have been needing to hear and from Russell Martin, which is no surprise to anyone who has heard his interviews before. Russ is one of the most intelligent and level headed players.

This is a team player who loses his place and fights to develop a new position to regain it. Perhaps one of the most underrated influences in our team ethic.

This is what a meant by my comment s about McNally needing soft skills as well as hard skills.

Totally agree with that. To be honest, if you look at the way we played for the last third of the season, barring the Spurs and Arsenal games, you''d have to conclude that we were likely to struggle badly to stay up next season. Far too many points dropped against weaker opposition, big questions over formations and personnel selection. Without knocking what had been achieved, I think the players and Lambert may actually have started to get a little too comfortable and begun to fall into the trap of believing their own hype a little too much. Squad unity and team spirit has got us a long, long way, but there does come a point at which it can no longer be a substitute for performance and skill. A new manager will shake things up a bit, will inherit a very solid young squad, and will probably be less conservative in the transfer market than PL would have been. I''m actually much more positive about our chances for next season now than I was a week ago.

Well done Russell Martin. Is it just me or did Martin sound not to bothered that Lambert has just left. and He actually sounded very upbeat and positive considering whats been going on. Am I right in thinking that possibly all was not well with Lambert and the players and maybe just maybe some of them are glad that he has gone.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Well done Russell Martin. Is it just me or did Martin sound not to bothered that Lambert has just left. and He actually sounded very upbeat and positive considering whats been going on. Am I right in thinking that possibly all was not well with Lambert and the players and maybe just maybe some of them are glad that he has gone.[/quote]I think similar actually.Or maybe they are just being professional, he''s gone, theres nothing they can do about it.

Completely sensible comments by RM.

I''m guessing the players are going through a similar thought process to a lot of us.  Now that the PL thing has happened and we''re over the shock, getting someone new in, particularly a quality manager like Hughton, could mean we end up better off.  Especially as (IMO) the main reason PL has decided to jump ship is because he thought he couldn''t repeat last season''s performance.

I know for a fact that one or two players were certainly a little frustrated with Lambert and his reluctance to explain to certain players why he was leaving them out of the side despite them performing well. This definitely put some of their backs up a bit and as said already, perhaps they''re now glad to have a clean slate and show their worth to whoever takes the job on.

Sensible comments from our most PR friendly player.  I seriously thought that if Lambert came back for any of our players it would be Martin who had been at Wycombe with Lambert and had effectively become Mr Reliable for Lambert last season.  However that interview seems to suggest he is going nowhere, which is great news.

Russell, if you are reading this thread, nice one, great timing to come out with comments like that, Afterall Lambert hasn''t kicked a ball for us over the last 3 yrs it''s been the players and the majority of them we still have, that''s what''s important.