Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Anyone watching England?

this mob will be lucky to get past the group stages, awful football, better teams will put them to the sword,

I do hope you aren''t thinking of Holt as a potential replacement? I

know, i know he deserves his chance... i just have a bitter in my mouth,

and it isn''t down to the packet of cheese and onion i have just

consumed! I think the only chance Holt has of going is if the long

haired fella from Liverpool gets injured, what''s his name?

Boring, boring England. Won''t do anything interesting in the Euro''s as expected. At least we''re not conceding silly goals at the moment though

It''s a bit better than some of the tripe we''ve been served up recently.Wellbeck looks sharp, aggressive and keen to make a good impression.  Young on the other hand looks like exactly what he is - an average premiership player.  Put Wellbeck and Caroll up front for the second half to see how that fit together.  Two very different players that could make a dangerous partnership with Rooney missing.

Think its OK, better than a lot of these games seem to be. Struggle to see why Rooney is on.

Would it not be better to try all the forward permutations that can actually start in the finals?

Seems to me that the game plan is to bore the opposition into submission. Winning though so can''t be to bad.

We are a cowardly uninventive team. Hope I''m wrong but cant see us getting out of the group stage. Maybe we''ll go down the Greece route when they won, but i cant see myself being awake let alone on the edge of my seat.

Work hard, stay well organised, keep your shape, frustrate the opposition, try to take one of the three chances you''ll get all game.  Well, it''s how Greece won it about 8 years ago.

Those saying Welbeck will be an international legend may have been playing too much Football Manager! He is looking promising though.

Despite the incredibly boring style, we do seem to be winning games and who knows... we could maybe grind out a tournament win! (Despite saying that, we are just as likely to just get stuffed by France and draw the next two games 0-0)

do a Greece?

I see us going as far as it takes to meet a genuinely good side and then its curtains.

Welbeck....love the Arsenio Hall 1980''s hairdo

Solid if not spectacular...its how Chelsea won the Champions League and its how England could win the Euros...

Football is as much about keeping the opposition from scoring as it is from scoring yourself...

Come on England

Another dire football match.Frankly I thought Belgium were the better side for large parts of the game, at least they bothered trying to attack instead of playing a horrendously defensive counter-attack style game, that involved very little attacking.Whilst Belgium didn''t look great in front of goal, neither did we, and aside from Welbecks'' good finish (the only thing he actually did) and Defoe being fairly lively, we looked bereft of attacking threat.Group stages are looking worrying if we continue to play like this, as well as Roy''s bizarre subs and team selections.

Indy....don''t read to much into the team selections given that Roy has only been the job 2 games and needed to ''test'' out formations etc in this space of time...

I don''t really know what people expect. There seems almost an eagerness to criticise England where possible but a reluctance to praise them for what they do well.

If you look back at the last World Cup, Spain scored 4 goals in total from 3 group games and then won every single game after that by a scoreline of 1-0. They didn''t really play particularly exciting football, infact they generally ground out results in their own way.

Now, I''m not saying England are as good as Spain but they are working on a formula to make us hard to beat. People would have whinged about some of the soft and sloppy goals we concede and now they''re unhappy that we''ve tightened up.

Roy Hodgson hasn''t had long at all with the players but we can already see that him and his team have got them pretty well drilled already. If you''re hard to beat then you''ve got a base to build from.

It''s been a solid start for the Hodgson era, we''re hopefully laying the foundations for some better stuff in the future and perhaps a few people should rein themselves in a bit and give England a chance - maybe if everyone pulls in the same direction we can make some progress.

My main areas of concern/criticism:1) Squad selectionSome of the call-ups have been ridiculous, we all pretty much agree that Downing shouldn''t be there, and Carroll is somewhat questionable considering his season. We then lose Barry to injury (Can''t say as I''m disappointed) to be replaced by Phil Jagielka - WTF? So replacing a defensive midfielder with a centre half...then Lampard gets injured to be replaced by Jordan Henderson - A right sided midfielder replacing a central/attacking midfielder - another WTF moment. Add in things like the non-inclusion of players like Ferdinand, Lennon, Holt and Carrick and it''s a poorly chosen squad in many ways.2) Tactical changesAlthough both recent games were just friendlies, there were some worrying changes made, particularly Walcott coming on for the Ox on the left - since when has Walcott been a left winger? It took Woy 5 mins to switch him with Milner (again who shouldn''t be in the squad), then we saw Gerrard replaced by Henderson...what''s next? Carroll on at centre half? Rooney playing the holding role instead of Parker???Also, why the hell was Ashley young being played alongside Welbeck? I know that he was meant to be a bit further back than he was, but it''s another strange decision that must make players like Defoe wonder what they have to do to get decent consideration. Welbeck could easily have played where Young was, with Defoe upfront.3) EntertainmentI know this is a results game, but I don''t want to watch teams grinding out 1-0 wins, it''s not entertaining and it''s also somewhat unfair on the decent players who are having to play football this way instead of using more of the talents in their locker. I''ll never buy into the ''anti-football'' style tactics or ''parking the bus'', regardless of how effective it may be because it''s simply f**king horrible to watch. If this is all we can expect from England whilst Hodgson is in charge, I''ll not bother watching, as I''d be better spent enjoying an evening seeing how long paint takes to dry on a variety of surfaces...

I can''t help but think you''re trying too hard to find fault with England because you were not keen on Hodgson''s appointment - I seem to remember that you wanted Zico??

Jordan Henderson has played a lot of football in the centre of midfield, he''s just mainly been used wide right at Liverpool. He can play both positions and some would say that his future lies in the centre of the park - given his engine and turn of pace.

It''s also not unheard of for Theo Walcott to play wide left. At Arsenal his position tends to be on the right but he has played from the left in his career and has been particularly dangerous in that position for England U21''s.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Spain won the WC by grinding out 1-0 wins in games that were generally quite dull. Were you critical of the style in which they acheived their success?

At the end of the day, Hodgson has had 2 games in charge and he''s won them both without letting in a goal. That''s a pretty decent start and perhaps it deserves a bit more credit and perhaps it should earn Hodgson a bit more leeway - especially as he has said he is building something for the future.