Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Quite frankly, Lambert ran from a challenge

He didn''t know how to take us to the next level.

He was very well paid for his three years here.

Let''s move on, and hope that the club can find a man with the capacity to dream of establishing a dynasty.

OTBC 

True, he was concerned about finishing mid table again with us, i think he needs to learn that as a manager you cant be successful every single year and for what its worth i believe he will regret taking the Villa job and will struggle to finish above us.

Thanks for the memories Paul, you will always be a legend for your magic 3 seasons but the way you have gone about leaving has tarnished your reputation among most City fans.

Looking forward to seeing who the new boss will be that will take us to the next level.

In McNally we trust :)

Otbc

As someone has already pointed out, he took us from an all time low to heights.  He''s taking Villa from a huge low.He doesn''t seem to have the staying power or courage to show that he can take something good and make it truly great.Mick Dennis said that he is driven to win silverware - maybe, maybe not.  I rather think he is driven to keep his name in the headlines.  It''s unlikely another season with us would have done that (short of a top 5 finish).

Disagree with that scot, lambert was never a ''press hungry'' manager instead wanting his players to get all the credit

Can''t help thinking we''re letting our bitterness get the better of us here

As for the op, I don''t know how the author has managed to write 3 completely different points in three paragraphs, I guess that''s the measure of the man

[quote user="Scot-e-dog"]As someone has already pointed out, he took us from an all time low to heights.  He''s taking Villa from a huge low.

He doesn''t seem to have the staying power or courage to show that he can take something good and make it truly great.

Mick Dennis said that he is driven to win silverware - maybe, maybe not.  I rather think he is driven to keep his name in the headlines.  It''s unlikely another season with us would have done that (short of a top 5 finish).
[/quote]

His predecessor McLeish was in the headlines for all of 11 months after Villa seduced him from  Birmingham.

By the time he''s done battle with Villa''s big time charlies he may not beat that record by much.

OTBC

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Disagree with that scot, lambert was never a ''press hungry'' manager instead wanting his players to get all the credit

Can''t help thinking we''re letting our bitterness get the better of us here[/quote]Maybe you''re right Peas mate.I just feel that going to Villa is a very odd decision for purely football reasons.  I can''t remember exactly what he said, but when MON left Villa he said something in the region of "if Villa have a good season, we''ll finish 4th, if we have a bad one we''ll finish 8th and that won''t change without significant investment".  I don''t see Villa ever being a place where he can get regular silverware.It is clear now that Lambert is very focused on his own career (and why not) and used us as a stepping stone and didn''t mind who he stepped on in

the process.  With that in mind, I didn''t really mean that he wanted to get his name in the headlines for fame, but rather for career enhancement publicity. Taking Villa from the slump they are in back to 6-8th in the prem will not be a magic trick (it''s where they should be), but it will put his name in lights and in the frame for bigger jobs in the future (which is what he wants).  Villa will be a whole new type of challenge for him.  To be honest, I wish him all the best - it would be nice to say one day that NCFC was the making of one of the world''s great managers.  I think he could have handled the situation better - his remarks of a few weeks ago seem very hollow to the point of downright untrue, but hey-ho!I am now looking ahead and not back - next season awaits and I hope we do get the right man in place. McNally''s already making the right noises and I really do trust that bloke to take our club forwards.  He''s a tough bu**er and has split opinion on the Holt affair, but everything he''s done has worked to date.As it turns out Lambert was a false messiah, McNally is the true lord!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Scot-e-dog"]As someone has already pointed out, he took us from an all time low to heights.  He''s taking Villa from a huge low.

He doesn''t seem to have the staying power or courage to show that he can take something good and make it truly great.

Mick Dennis said that he is driven to win silverware - maybe, maybe not.  I rather think he is driven to keep his name in the headlines.  It''s unlikely another season with us would have done that (short of a top 5 finish).
[/quote]

His predecessor McLeish was in the headlines for all of 11 months after Villa seduced him from  Birmingham.

By the time he''s done battle with Villa''s big time charlies he may not beat that record by much.

OTBC

[/quote] Its also Celtic v Rangers aswell isnt it mcleish and lambert. I wish mcleish was better at his job now it could of stopped us losing him, then again he would of gone anyway just to a different club

I think he probably took as far as anyone could or will. The next few seasons if we are lucky will be about consolidation, expanding the stadium and preparing us for the next big push. Once we have 35,000 attendances we can then start to look at taking on the top 10, Europe, and being one of the bigger boys in the Premier league.Lambert jumped as I suspect he had little scope for improvement but the potential for relegation in future seasons.Also, I suspect the Holt issue maybe didn''t help matters.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Yeah maybe he did run from a challenge with us but hes going to an even bigger challenge at fallen giants Aston Villa![/quote]Fallen Giants?If winning the league title once in the last 100 years makes you a giant then how would you describe Blackburn, Huddersfield, Wolves, forest, Portsmoutth Derby and the like who''ve all won it more than once in the last 100 years?They last won the FA cup more than 50 years ago, their recent honours exist of a league cup back in 1996 and that''s it.Bigger club than us? historically yes but Giants my erse.......

Defensively Lambert didn''t have the nous defensively (for a team without the best defenders), as was shown by some of our displays and it could have been worse had some of those record number of shots that hit out post/bar gone in.   

He knew the above and he also knew that the crest of the wave we were riding on, would probably not be as strong.

Lambert probably viewed Villa as not the massive challenge that people are saying it is.  He would have looked at Villa, their players, their promising young players who showed glimpses under McLeish and what he was being promised in terms of budget, not just in terms of signing fees, but also wages and concluded that it would be easier to get Villa to finish between 9th and 13th, than it would be to get Norwich to finish between 12th and 16th.

Furthermore, not only would the challenge as set out above be easier under Villa, in terms of improvement from where each club was, the perceived achievement would be higher and Lambert''s stock a a manager would thus increase further.

I think the biggest hurdle for Lambert, assuming of course he can finish mid-table at Villa, which I''m not sure personally that he can for various reasons, but assuming that he does will be his second season at Villa.  Where does Lambert go from a mid table finish with Villa in season 1 to improvement in season 2?  A much more difficult task imho.  It is more difficult now, for Villa to get in the top 4 than it was when O''Neill was manager.  Unless of course Villa will be happy to see Lambert plodding along a la Moyes and finishing anywhere between about 8th and 14th/15th.

Lambert undoubtedly sees Villa as a stepping stone, but this one might just crumble and his foot may slip into the water before he has time to step off.

Don''t forget they were the best team in Europe (European cup winners) as recently as 1982!

If they had been run better in the years after winning the League in 1981 and European cup in 1982 they''d of been up there with the ManU''s and Liverpools, getting regular 40,000+ crowds and Villa Park would of been extended to 50,000+ by now!

Of the the truly huge clubs in the Country, only Newcastle surpass Aston Villa for underachievement!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Don''t forget they were the best team in Europe (European cup winners) as recently as 1982!

If they had been run better in the years after winning the League in 1981 and European cup in 1982 they''d of been up there with the ManU''s and Liverpools, getting regular 40,000+ crowds and Villa Park would of been extended to 50,000+ by now!

Of the the truly huge clubs in the Country, only Newcastle surpass Aston Villa for underachievement!

[/quote]

What''s your point?  It''s all history.

Villa aren''t huge in my opinion and talking of underachievement, look at Forest!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]And England won the World Cup as recently as 1966 which is why the English still see themselves as a footballing giant despite all the evidence proving the contrary to be true. The European cup in the 1980''s was far removed from the glamorous and prestigious champions league we have now. Villa had two rank outsiders then Dynamo Berlin who qualified due to match fixing being rife in the DDR at the time before they had to play anyone most people will have heard of.

The thing that has started to annoy me is just how long has Lambert known he was leaving? Thinking back on his comments, and for some time it''s obvious now that he had no intention of staying. After the Arsenal game he said something along the lines of "I said spurs was the best performance I have seen from this group but that was better, and I didn''t think I would get that again in my time here". Then talking about the season he said " We have done well to survive and THEY have to do it again next year". Looks to me he has know he was off for several months.

I don''t know why all of this keep getting regurgitated.

Pure and simple he has gone to a club that are going to pay him more than we could.

Which HE may also see as a different kind of a challenge.

He was never going to be here forever as we all knew.

[quote user="JF"]The thing that has started to annoy me is just how long has Lambert known he was leaving? Thinking back on his comments, and for some time it''s obvious now that he had no intention of staying. After the Arsenal game he said something along the lines of "I said spurs was the best performance I have seen from this group but that was better, and I didn''t think I would get that again in my time here". Then talking about the season he said " We have done well to survive and THEY have to do it again next year". Looks to me he has know he was off for several months.[/quote]

Quite right. And there are many other examples.

OTBC

I think he could see that he was going nowhere at City when the monetary barriers to progress went up.I don''t like the way he went about it.... but the limitations of NCFC under the present ownership means we''ll never find a long term manager worth his salt, nor hang on to any genuine quality players.That''s the difficulty of being a ''small club''.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]I think he could see that he was going nowhere at City when the monetary barriers to progress went up.I don''t like the way he went about it.... but the limitations of NCFC under the present ownership means we''ll never find a long term manager worth his salt, nor hang on to any genuine quality players.That''s the difficulty of being a ''small club''.[/quote]Yes being a smaller sized club does have its limitations in the Premier League but Lambert was well aware of that when he came here.A bit like your hero "Big Bob", who couldn''t find the 700k when MON wanted to sign Dean Windass. A history changing decision in my estimation.Let me know when a Billionaire turns up to fund us. Until then we have the choice of living within our means or going bust.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]I think he could see that he was going nowhere at City when the monetary barriers to progress went up.I don''t like the way he went about it.... but the limitations of NCFC under the present ownership means we''ll never find a long term manager worth his salt, nor hang on to any genuine quality players.That''s the difficulty of being a ''small club''.[/quote]Yes being a smaller sized club does have its limitations in the Premier League but Lambert was well aware of that when he came here.A bit like your hero "Big Bob", who couldn''t find the 700k when MON wanted to sign Dean Windass. A history changing decision in my estimation.Let me know when a Billionaire turns up to fund us. Until then we have the choice of living within our means or going bust.[/quote]Sensible posts are under-rated on here.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]I think he could see that he was going nowhere at City when the monetary barriers to progress went up.I don''t like the way he went about it.... but the limitations of NCFC under the present ownership means we''ll never find a long term manager worth his salt, nor hang on to any genuine quality players.That''s the difficulty of being a ''small club''.[/quote]Yes being a smaller sized club does have its limitations in the Premier League but Lambert was well aware of that when he came here.A bit like your hero "Big Bob", who couldn''t find the 700k when MON wanted to sign Dean Windass. A history changing decision in my estimation.Let me know when a Billionaire turns up to fund us. Until then we have the choice of living within our means or going bust.[/quote]This Windass is a red herring and a convenient excuse to hang Robert Chase out to dry. O''Neill was moody and petulant and would have walked out at the drop of any other hat anyway.There is no proof that Windass would have made his mark at CR.... but then when you''re inventing a good story you have to create a villain don''t you?

O''Neil is Lambert''s hero. Celtic Wycombe, Norwich........he follows his pathway closely; even dresses like him. And now Villa are the equivalent of O''Neils Leicester.........etc

On a somewhat related point, I felt at the time - and still do - that Lambert was completely psyched out by O''Neils presence on the touchline at our away match against Sunderland last season. Remember that dreadful performance? Anybody else notice - or was I imagining things?

OTBC