Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Thank You Darren Huckerby

I''ve been feeling really sore for the past day or two, like most I suspect.

In fact, I''ve lost a tiny sliver of faith in humanity, I feel like I''ve been cheated on by a bird and then had the humiliation broadcast to the world.

But then I remember..... I remember Darren Huckerby.... I remember how he said he would never play against Norwich again, and stuck by his word.

I remember how he said that if Norwich were struggling in League One he would have considered pulling on his boots and playing despite it potentially having jeopardized his health and well being.

I just remember, and I always will, and I hope that you all do too.

He isn''t the only one who bled yellow and green from the time period.... big Iwan did too, and so did Malky, I knew that by talking to them over a drink one night in Delaney''s.... you could just tell, they became Norwich fans, there was no other club for them from the point that they joined us.

Somewhere in our squad, somewhere in that dressing room, will be three or four players who will be sitting there thinking to themselves "I never want to leave Norwich".

We don''t know who they are, and they may be forced out at some stage irrespective, we may never work out who they are.

You either fall in love with the club, the city, and the fans, or you fall in love with your gaffer, or you don''t give a sh*t about either.

I thought that Grant Holt was our new Huckerby, I don''t know what else we could have done to make him love us. I know that we loved him like we loved Hucks, I''m sure of it.

Some people just don''t want to be loved, they don''t allow themselves to be brought into the family, or they have a lack of understanding of what true love is.

I thought that Holt was our Huckerby. He isn''t. Somebody in that dressing room will be, that''s why I am just looking forward to getting behind all of the boys next year, I can''t wait for the season to start.

Just when you think you couldn''t love Hucks any more he spends the morning taking the piss out of scum fans on Twitter whilst on the train to London.

He is one of us.

The word legend is over used these days, but it''s wholly appropriate for Hucks.

Yes, excellent post. I know that many outside this region who have never been here often make fun of us and our club being a ''backwater'' and so on but although I''ve worked & lived all over the UK, I''ve never really left Norfolk and probably never will.Nice one Darren and all the other players/ex-players who see this place and this club in the same way that we do.

Good Post.

Adam Drury surely? Although I suppose he is in a slightly different category.

Hucks is a legend, and of course he is not alone. So many former players stay in the area, continue to support Norwich. Even in recent years I can think of a few names, and even more going back further.

We probably do have a few loyal players amongst our squad, R.Martin is probably one, Ruddy could easily be, hopefully Howson and/or Pilks will be like Hucks too.

Your never going to get too many players who are publicly willing to take a pay cut to stay at the club (at least I think Hucks was), who have no problem with staying on after relegation, who chose. Norwich over potentially higher paying clubs (Think WBA offered him a better deal?). Holt could have been, and until a couple of weeks ago, was. But a bit of a contract disagreement has upset him, he''s not been forced out like Hucks was, he''s not been told he''s leaving, and from the knowledge we''ve been given he''s just got upset because he can''t get an extra year. If he really wants that extra year, and he wants it here, surely he just needs to start next season with a bang, score a few goals early on and then knock on McNally''s door and say ''now, how about that extra year?''.

But instead of that, he''s taking the easy option. Is going to try and get the contract he wants at a different club. You know you''ve got a dedicated, loyal player when they will take what ever contract they are offered to stay at the club.

Unfortunately these players are few and far between now.

God ive come over all emotional reading that bit like my wife when she watches secret millionaire!!!

the guys a true legend Love ya Hucks!!

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]Did anyone else get emotional when he came on in Drury''s testimonial btw?![/quote]
Yes...
Although i was worse when Drury walked off, not knowing wether that would be the last time we see him in a Norwich shirt. He''s been playing for Norwich for almost as long as i''ve been supporting the club...

I was born and brought up in Norfolk but have lived in the West Country for a long time. I too have never really left Norfolk. 22 years of attending every home match now translates as any away game I can find. I love my club and cannot persuade my Bristol born child to support anyone but Norwich! Hucks is one of his heroes.

Great post, very true. What about Wes? I think he sees Norwich as his club and is happy here - there always used to be rumours about him leaving but he''s stuck with us for a good few years now despite relegation and not always being in the starting XI. It''s true, as the OP says it makes us feel a whole lot better to think of the loyal servants, like Drury too, who like the area and the club and are happy to stay.

Forgot about Wes.

He is looking like one of those players. Not sure how many, if any serious bids/enquires we''ve had for him over the years, there must have been one or two when we went down to League One?

But he stuck with us then, has never made a fuss when left out of the starting line up, puts in 100% until he can''t carry on any longer (did happen this season, remember one game when he pretty much had to stop running as he couldn''t cope any longer).

When Hoolahan signed, I think many people thought he''d be the new Hucks. The creative, exiting player. And he has been that, not so much in the premiership, perhaps because he maybe lacks a bit of pace and strength he needs to really shine in the Premiership, but he''s still been decent and he''s been loyal.

Juan - Thats the best post I''ve read on here this season and brought a tear to my eye [:)]

The best op this year. I have read so much dribble on here over the past season but the last week has been a joke! This post is refreshing. The only thing I disagree with is there may well not be that player in our dressing room. The likes of hucks, malky, iwan and gunn are a rare breed. I truly believed holty was as in love with us and we are with him. I feel like my best mate has slept with my wife and punched me in the face on the way out. If I was 10 years old I would probably be crying right now but I''m a grown man. Being a city fan I''ve learnt there are some massive lows and some highs. It''s never strait forward. But what I do believe is this last weeks events will bring US the fans closer together. Ball kickers and player pickers come and go but the yellow army march on stronger. City till I die. Otbc. See you next season brothers and sisters x

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Forgot about Wes.

He is looking like one of those players. Not sure how many, if any serious bids/enquires we''ve had for him over the years, there must have been one or two when we went down to League One?

But he stuck with us then, has never made a fuss when left out of the starting line up, puts in 100% until he can''t carry on any longer (did happen this season, remember one game when he pretty much had to stop running as he couldn''t cope any longer).

When Hoolahan signed, I think many people thought he''d be the new Hucks. The creative, exiting player. And he has been that, not so much in the premiership, perhaps because he maybe lacks a bit of pace and strength he needs to really shine in the Premiership, but he''s still been decent and he''s been loyal.[/quote]
Apparently when we were relegated Simon Grayson tried to tempt him to Leeds with a £3 million bid...
Also think you''re being a little harsh on Wes in regards to not being able to ''shine'' in the Premier League. Great player, technically gifted, works for the team love the guy to bits. 4 goals last season (only 3 less than Hucks during his Premier season at Norwich) and our top assist-er (7 in total). Huckerby was all about pace, strength and beating his man. Wes is about passing around them.

Wes has been very good, but hasn''t shone as much as he did in the Championship or League One. Not trying to be negative, or in anyway say he''s not up to it, he''s clearly a very good player for us, even at this level. Just my use of the word ''shine'' was kind of referring to the outstanding goal scoring and setting up play from Hoolahan in the previous two seasons, something that he was never going to do in the Premiership. But still an invaluable asset.

And if Leeds were offering £3 million, Hoolahan, regardless of wether he had any contact with them or not, must have known they were going to offer him a decent wage, maybe/probably better than Norwich were paying him. If thats true, then my opinion of him is even greater now.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Wes has been very good, but hasn''t shone as much as he did in the Championship or League One. Not trying to be negative, or in anyway say he''s not up to it, he''s clearly a very good player for us, even at this level. Just my use of the word ''shine'' was kind of referring to the outstanding goal scoring and setting up play from Hoolahan in the previous two seasons, something that he was never going to do in the Premiership. But still an invaluable asset.

And if Leeds were offering £3 million, Hoolahan, regardless of wether he had any contact with them or not, must have known they were going to offer him a decent wage, maybe/probably better than Norwich were paying him. If thats true, then my opinion of him is even greater now.[/quote]
I See where your coming from GP [:)], your right Wes might not ''shine'' as such, but he''s still quality even at this level. The Leeds bid was just a rumour, but even rumours can reach a players ear yet he still decided to not push it.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]I''ve been feeling really sore for the past day or two, like most I suspect. In fact, I''ve lost a tiny sliver of faith in humanity, I feel like I''ve been cheated on by a bird and then had the humiliation broadcast to the world. But then I remember..... I remember Darren Huckerby.... I remember how he said he would never play against Norwich again, and stuck by his word. I remember how he said that if Norwich were struggling in League One he would have considered pulling on his boots and playing despite it potentially having jeopardized his health and well being. I just remember, and I always will, and I hope that you all do too. He isn''t the only one who bled yellow and green from the time period.... big Iwan did too, and so did Malky, I knew that by talking to them over a drink one night in Delaney''s.... you could just tell, they became Norwich fans, there was no other club for them from the point that they joined us. Somewhere in our squad, somewhere in that dressing room, will be three or four players who will be sitting there thinking to themselves "I never want to leave Norwich". We don''t know who they are, and they may be forced out at some stage irrespective, we may never work out who they are. You either fall in love with the club, the city, and the fans, or you fall in love with your gaffer, or you don''t give a sh*t about either. I thought that Grant Holt was our new Huckerby, I don''t know what else we could have done to make him love us. I know that we loved him like we loved Hucks, I''m sure of it. Some people just don''t want to be loved, they don''t allow themselves to be brought into the family, or they have a lack of understanding of what true love is. I thought that Holt was our Huckerby. He isn''t. Somebody in that dressing room will be, that''s why I am just looking forward to getting behind all of the boys next year, I can''t wait for the season to start.[/quote]

Give Holt a copy of Hucks'' book and ask him to read the last page. It is from the heart and brought tears to my eyes. I am humbled, proud and honoured that he feels the way he does and that he is one of us. I honestly believed that Holt had it in him to tread the same path. Alas, it seems certain that it is not to be. Hucks you are and always will be an almighty City legend, admired and loved by all. 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]all very nice but unfortunately Hucks doesnt play for us anymore.........................or can he ?[/quote]

That''s not the point. Over a period of time he developed a feeling for and relationship with the people of Norfolk which were deeply felt and everlasting. If only someone else was capable of something similar and viewed things in the same way. 

Who''s to say Holt doesn''t feel that way towards us?

He''s clearly been upset by the clubs rejection of another year, i think it''s really hurt him personally.

Dont want to drag the tone down ... but, Hucks in a nutshell

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too:

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same:

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss:

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much:

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

This is the best post ive ever read on here and what a time to pull it out the bag. Just when everyones down in the dumps and are expecting the worst. This little gem pops up, Onwards and upwards Norwich city. Drurys probably that man or even lappin or for all we know it could be the least expected person in there. p.s that post should be turned into a sticky so we can read it for the next few weeks at least while everythings so up in the air. Top man Juan velasco

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Who''s to say Holt doesn''t feel that way towards us? He''s clearly been upset by the clubs rejection of another year, i think it''s really hurt him personally.[/quote] Holt said it by kicking us in the teeth when everyone was gutted about Lambert and with his Holt to villa crap on his tweet or whatever. I cant believe people still think the world of him, over the last three years there couldnt of been a worse time for his antics. I feel very disapointed in him 3x POTS, 70 goals, now nothing but unadulterated shame for him  in my eyes.

I remember seeing Hux play against Chelsea at CR. He waltzed his way through the their defence as though it weren''t there, on more than one occasion.

Fantastic OP. Needed that!

Huckerby understood what this club was all about straight away. So did Iwan and Dion. Others may come and go, and even bring us a bit of success on the way, but we can see through naked ambition and reserve our fondest appreciation for those who will always put NCFC first.