Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

McNally Speaks About Manager Search

As McNally has said we will look at European managers, are there any that stand out and could be available?

I''ve mentioned Gasperini before, I really think he could do a great job for us. He took Genoa into Serie A, stabilised in the first season and got them into Europe in the 2nd. He plays a very attractive style of football and considering our lack of full backs his 3-4-3 could easily be implemented with a few good signings.

As a bonus he is currently unemployed after a short (disastrous) stint at Inter so we can add a million or 2 to the transfer budget rather than spending it on compensation.

Good shout, but will he want to move again, he only went to PSG in January didn''t he? Also even though he''s assistant I''d imagine he''s on some pretty crazy wages

I''d actually go for a German.

Hopefully he''d bring with him a class German centre back and a ball winning German centre midfielder.

The players are used to the German style fitness regimes and discipline, and it would be a nice big fat middle finger up at Lambert.

Germans are all really competitive winners, they build teams, and don''t put up with egos.

I actually think our team embodies the German mentality, the never giving up particularly, the 92nd minute goals, the closing down every ball.

I don''t know any German managers, I''m just talking a load of BS really.

I''m wary about an Italian though.... Ancelotti was rubbish at Chelsea, Di Canio is a nutcase, Trappatoni isn''t picking Irelands best midfielder (Hoolahan), that crazy bloke that they had at Watford started signing 40 year olds out of retirement. Vialli was rubbish at Watford too.

I''d make an exception for Di Matteo, I can''t think of a single other success story in English football though?!

Didn''t Ancelotti win the league and FA cup with Chelsea? As for Trappatoni it is bizarre that he doesn''t pick Wes but he did manage to get a very average group of players to qualify for the Euros. As for Di Canio, he is a scumbag, but then you can hardly blame the whole of Italy for that (and he is doing pretty well with Swindon). Also what about Mancini? Sure he had all the money in the world, but with a very disfunctional group of players he won the Premiership.

Just a thought, but has anyone actually seen Lambert since he resigned?I reckon McNally is the sort to have a disrespectful employee "rubbed out"

Is it just me or is he clearly saying Paul Lambert was only ever lower league before he hired him? E.g. we took you from the lower leagues Paul, and don''t you forget it. Now we want someone better.

Perhaps I''m reading too much into it, but I''m delighted McNally is running the club. However, I never want to get on the wrong side of him!

Michael Laudrup, done a great job with similar resources at Getafe and Mallorca in La Liga playing good style of football. Watch this space......

Laudrup would be a very good option and not beyonf the realms of possibility!

It''s interesting because I have often seen it suggested on here that McNally would have a plan B ready for this day. It''s been suggested that he''s not the type of CE to take applications or do interviews. That was said to be sooooo Doomcasteresque. I wonder if he really was taken by surprise by this and hadn''t got a plan B ready. Or if the plan B has already failed?

...put some money on him and those odds will fall!

Thinking a bit outside the box, Solskjaer is managing in Norway, where McNally has just been, as is Aage Hareide, is he not? I recall he was linked last time...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s interesting because I have often seen it suggested on here that McNally would have a plan B ready for this day. It''s been suggested that he''s not the type of CE to take applications or do interviews. That was said to be sooooo Doomcasteresque. I wonder if he really was taken by surprise by this and hadn''t got a plan B ready. Or if the plan B has already failed?

[/quote]Well its hardly likely he has a new manager in a drawer in his filing cabinet lol.If he had a target in mind, it would take time to cross the t''s and dot the i''s.Specially if his plan B was currently in another job.

Just like Villa, the Club are probably being smart smoke screening as they''ve probably been tapping someone up for the past few months.

All this grand media "We''re searching" quotes help keep their backs clean.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Well its hardly likely he has a new manager in a drawer in his filing cabinet lol.

If he had a target in mind, it would take time to cross the t''s and dot the i''s.

Specially if his plan B was currently in another job.
[/quote]

I agree Morty. But this article doesn''t suggest he has that target.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Well its hardly likely he has a new manager in a drawer in his filing cabinet lol.If he had a target in mind, it would take time to cross the t''s and dot the i''s.Specially if his plan B was currently in another job.[/quote]

I agree Morty. But this article doesn''t suggest he has that target.

[/quote]Or that his target is one from abroad, that we''re not expecting, and he''s softening the blow?

...I just put on the other thread about Euro manager - McN was just in Norway where Hareide is (as is Solskjaer) -adding 2+2 you could make something of that.

Still think it''s going to be Lennon.

Top league, not necessarily the prem - that matches.

Now wondering if it''s with Cully as assistant, for me that''d be amazing.

[/quote]Nutty the thing is we may have a plan in place, but i still think it''s right for the club to listen to applicants and interview several candidates, the difference with Lambert is that he had worked with McNally before, there was no need to interview other people, McNally knew who he wanted. I have heard from a few places that a plan B has been in place for a long time, but we are now a premiership club, there will be a lot of interest in the job and the club aren''t able to forward plan for every event, a manger who we could have lined up to replace Lambert 6 months ago may not be the same man who is right for the job now, if the club was going to just go out and talk to one manager i for one would be disappointed, we''re a prem club, interest will be huge, i expect some big names, i.e the Rafas and the Svens and perhaps even the Capellos, will be applying.For me i hope we go British again, or a foreign manger for his overseas player knowledge, with Culverhouse kept on to continue dealing with the players on a day to day business, however i do think we may all be a bit surprised by who comes in

Hareide was said to have been considered after Worthy and then Grant left but since he coached his national side he seems to have dropped off the radar.

Bowkett''s big buddy Steve Morgan has just appointed a Norwegian, Solbakken, so maybe he''s got some ideas from him?

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty the thing is we may have a plan in place, but i still think it''s right for the club to listen to applicants and interview several candidates, the difference with Lambert is that he had worked with McNally before, there was no need to interview other people, McNally knew who he wanted. I have heard from a few places that a plan B has been in place for a long time, but we are now a premiership club, there will be a lot of interest in the job and the club aren''t able to forward plan for every event, a manger who we could have lined up to replace Lambert 6 months ago may not be the same man who is right for the job now, if the club was going to just go out and talk to one manager i for one would be disappointed, we''re a prem club, interest will be huge, i expect some big names, i.e the Rafas and the Svens and perhaps even the Capellos, will be applying.

For me i hope we go British again, or a foreign manger for his overseas player knowledge, with Culverhouse kept on to continue dealing with the players on a day to day business, however i do think we may all be a bit surprised by who comes in
[/quote]

Good post as usual Pricey[Y]

If Culverhouse stays he will hopefully also have some input into who comes in.

[/quote]

There may have been previous references but certainly a few weeks ago Bowkett, asked about what would happen if Lambert left, said:

‘Have we a Plan B in place? Absolutely."

At the time it was an answer to a theoretical question. But it was not clear if all Plan B meant was that they would move to get a replacement, quite possibly from several candidates or whether they had the very man lined up, at least in their minds, and there wouldn''t be any nonsense about interviews and the like. As nutty indicates, this taken by many here rather as the latter, because that was the antithesis of the old and supposedly discredited Doncaster way of doing things.

But given our situation, with the job being so attractive to all sorts of candidates, it may be that even if the Plan B included just one name, that name now has credible rivals.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

There may have been previous references but certainly a few weeks ago Bowkett, asked about what would happen if Lambert left, said:

‘Have we a Plan B in place? Absolutely."

At the time it was an answer to a theoretical question. But it was not clear if all Plan B meant was that they would move to get a replacement, quite possibly from several candidates or whether they had the very man lined up, at least in their minds, and there wouldn''t be any nonsense about interviews and the like. As nutty indicates, this taken by many here rather as the latter, because that was the antithesis of the old and supposedly discredited Doncaster way of doing things.

But given our situation, with the job being so attractive to all sorts of candidates, it may be that even if the Plan B included just one name, that name now has credible rivals.

[/quote]

PS. Posted this before seeing priceyrice''s post, which makes very similar points.

I really hope Culverhouse stays on, it seems a lot of the players Lambert has bought in that he hasn''t worked with before were Culverhouse suggestions, and Karsa for that matter too, they both seemed to be liked around the place, but i don''t think the club would have the balls to tell potential managers they must take on these two, new managers tend to bring in their own backroom staff, so unless Culverhouse is given the mangerial role (which seems very doubtful now) or a young upcoming manger comes in, then i don''t expect either of those two to stay, although it is very interesting Lambert doesn''t appear to be taking them with him.Personally, feel that agents are the main reason behind Lambert and Holt wanting out.From a couple of posts of your Nutty that i have seen this weekend you appear to be slightly more critical with McNally during this current situation than most posters, what exactly is your opinion on it, or do you think it is still or guess work and speculation?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

There may have been previous references but certainly a few weeks ago Bowkett, asked about what would happen if Lambert left, said:‘Have we a Plan B in place? Absolutely."At the time it was an answer to a theoretical question. But it was not clear if all Plan B meant was that they would move to get a replacement, quite possibly from several candidates or whether they had the very man lined up, at least in their minds, and there wouldn''t be any nonsense about interviews and the like. As nutty indicates, this taken by many here rather as the latter, because that was the antithesis of the old and supposedly discredited Doncaster way of doing things.But given our situation, with the job being so attractive to all sorts of candidates, it may be that even if the Plan B included just one name, that name now has credible rivals.

[/quote]

PS. Posted this before seeing priceyrice''s post, which makes very similar points.

[/quote]Yeah, pretty much the same thing i was saying PC, who would be your choice for manager?

P.S, Purple do you have any indication from the most recent accounts what Lambert''s contract was worth a year, as i expect compensation will pretty much be the value of the contract. I am sure i read somewhere when he signed his improved contract terms that he was on 1.5M a year, do you know if this is anywhere near the truth?

" the qualities that the new manager must have – they include hunger, commitment, desire, and then the usual things that we look for when we appointed Paul – knowledge, skill, relevant experience and then the glue which holds it all together, which is attitude. "
God I am loving McNally''s constant digs at Lambo.