Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

Steve Bruce safe option or younger model?

Hi All.

Haven`t been on here for a while, but would like to just mention this.

A lot of you are already moaning that Steve Bruce may or may not get the job.

Firstly lets give him a look. Ok so he has done well at some clubs such as Wigan, Birmingham and ok at Sunderland, and his record is average but he does have a lot of respect from players and other prem clubs. He has a Prem History and a stated from himself that he always holds a great admiration for Norwich as it was the club that gave him his big break.

I know you all want a Chris houghton or Lee Clark or Malky but lets look at this. So these are up and coming managers, yes? They could do well at the prem league (chris houghton was doing ok with Newcastle until his surprise sacking). But if they do ok with Norwich and keep us up, surely they will be snatched away by the larger club again looking for the next david moyes etc?

My question is, are we better with having Steve Bruce, who is a proven Manager in the Prem and hope that he stays for 3-5 years or take a gamble with a youger model and see him snatched from us again much the same way as Lambert was?

Its a tough call, we are a medium sized club that CAN get a top 8 finish in the prem(one year maybe), but success can also destroy us if we over do it. I would be happy with a 12th place finish next year with Steve Bruce at the helm. Some others out there wont.

As always with Norwich Mangers, such as Gunn, Roeder, Peter Grant, Brian Hamilton, Bruce Rioch its not always an easy job.

Time will tell, I''m sure the board have their choice already.

Cheers All

Steve Bruce coaches a style of dinosaur football that I would actively avoid.  He also seems quite fond of spending money on mediocre players.  Put the two together and I would certainly hope our next manager is more of a look to the future.

He didn''t do OK at Sunderland, he was terrible. Spent loads of money and would have got them relegated if he hadn''t sacked first. His win % was under 30. Look how much better the same group of players were under O''Neill.

The same group of players weren''t that much better under O''Neil. There was a bit of an improvement when he first took over but that soon wore off.

Bottom line was they weren''t very good buys in the first place by Bruce.

If a Norwich connection is important, Lee Clark was with us briefly and was highly thought of.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Nothing to do with it I know, but he simply looks wrong, bit like a fat old woman,if you were a player would you respect him ?[/quote]Agree, to gain respect you have to earn respect, you don''t do that by being rolled on to the training ground each morning. The bloke has lost self pride in appearance for sure! Bruce, i certainly hope not!

Ive had a tenner on Bruce for nearly a week. Heard strong rumours

Sadly, he''s gash

Can see him being a definite failure?Need Hughton,who was at Spurs with culverhouse, or Mackay!

[quote user="AJ"]Ive had a tenner on Bruce for nearly a week. Heard strong rumours

Sadly, he''s gash[/quote]A tenner, not overally confident on your source then AJ?

[quote user="simo"]Can see him being a definite failure?Need Hughton,who was at Spurs with culverhouse, or Mackay![/quote]No offence (well maybe a little) simo, but there is clearly a thread on Bruce already!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="AJ"]Ive had a tenner on Bruce for nearly a week. Heard strong rumours Sadly, he''s gash[/quote]A tenner, not overally confident on your source then AJ?
[/quote]

Maybe thats all the cash he can afford to put on and not have a problem if it loses. Times are hard at the moment for most people!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="AJ"]Ive had a tenner on Bruce for nearly a week. Heard strong rumours Sadly, he''s gash[/quote]A tenner, not overally confident on your source then AJ?[/quote]

Maybe thats all the cash he can afford to put on and not have a problem if it loses. Times are hard at the moment for most people!

[/quote]I think you are fortunate if you can afford to gamble at all!!!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="AJ"]Ive had a tenner on Bruce for nearly a week. Heard strong rumours Sadly, he''s gash[/quote]A tenner, not overally confident on your source then AJ?
[/quote]

[/quote]I think you are fortunate if you can afford to gamble at all!!!
[/quote]

LUMP ON FOLKS!

Not savings obv. But a little tickle if you can afford it

Awful prospect granted

If McNally scours Europe for a new manager and the best he can do is Steve Bruce he should think about following Lambert out of the door.

[quote user="Ncfc"]If McNally scours Europe for a new manager and the best he can do is Steve Bruce he should think about following Lambert out of the door.
[/quote]

A bit harsh but i know what you are getting at.It would look to me to be an unambitious move,where we would be happy to plug around the arse end of the league.Aim higher Mr McNally,pay whatever compo is neccessary.

Steve Bruce is far from a safe option. Firstly, he is a c**p manager. He has admitted to not understanding tactics, and refuses to take part in any coaching (Sunderland fans still don''t know what he did, apart from spend money). Secondly, he is not a safe option in that he won''t leave the club, Bruce has a reputation for leaving as soon as what he perceives as a ''bigger'' job comes along.

Appointing Bruce would be a backward step.

He doesn''t fit with any of the criteria specified so freely by the club-young? No. Hungry? No-unless they mean literally. Ambitious? No-what are his aims and objectives in management, just to get a job and hold onto it for as long as possible it would seem. No coaching nous or tactical know how-which he admits to-and a preference for playing it "tight at the back and try to sneak one."

Hughton is a safe option. He''s not an exciting one-but a good one and a safe one. We can''t afford exciting options.

Bruce is one of those managers who drifts from job to job and always gets a mention if there is a vacancy-Wolves, us, Hull-thus ever was.

I can''t for one moment think DMcN and co would think of him as viable or acceptable-and if they all did, would love to hear their reasoning.

In anycase, when his managerial stock was fairly high he wanted nothing to do with us. So now his is waning and ours as a club is waxing-the feeling should be mutual.

Hi all, thanks for the posts ...

How do I feel about this, well I am worried, I know that this time its Mcnally choosing the manager which is far better than the prevoius choices.

How many times did I want a manger only to end up with a loser or a city legend out of his depth but up for the job. Remember Peter Grant? Bruce Rioch, Brian Hamilton, Gary Megson, and Glen Roeder!

I wouldn''t be disapointed with Bruce as the manager as I feel he has a lot of experince and every club is different to the last. Just look at Pardue now at Newcastle and then Churbishly at Charlton vs west ham.

Would I prefer a younger "houghton" style manager, well I don''t mind either, feel it could be a great appointment or a out of your depth disaster.

As the Europe option, I think its a divert for us to think that this wont be a quick choice then suddenly they will annouce the new Gaffer.

In the end what will be will be.

Cheers All

People keep talking about Chris Hughton as an up and coming young Manager but he is actually 53 years old, which I believe is a couple of years older than Steve Bruce - does that make Bruce an up and coming young Manager too?

[quote user="koimatsuba"]Hi all, thanks for the posts ... How do I feel about this, well I am worried, I know that this time its Mcnally choosing the manager which is far better than the prevoius choices. How many times did I want a manger only to end up with a loser or a city legend out of his depth but up for the job. Remember Peter Grant? Bruce Rioch, Brian Hamilton, Gary Megson, and Glen Roeder! I wouldn''t be disapointed with Bruce as the manager as I feel he has a lot of experince and every club is different to the last. Just look at Pardue now at Newcastle and then Churbishly at Charlton vs west ham. Would I prefer a younger "houghton" style manager, well I don''t mind either, feel it could be a great appointment or a out of your depth disaster. As the Europe option, I think its a divert for us to think that this wont be a quick choice then suddenly they will annouce the new Gaffer. In the end what will be will be. Cheers All[/quote]

Be fair, when we took Bruce Rioch on, it hadn''t been many months since he had been the manager of a tiny North London club called Arsenal. I believe one of his last signings had been someone called Dennis Bergkamp. It was only his refusal to sign a contract with Arsenal that prompted the parting of the ways. Had it been possible to back Rioch to the same degree as Lambert was, who knows what would have happened