Sign in to follow this  
barclayboys

Hughton in Norfolk for talks

Odds are down to 1/10 on 32 Red - surely something is happening with odds that short.

[quote user="kdncfc"]Odds are down to 1/10 on 32 Red - surely something is happening with odds that short.[/quote]Yes irresponsible people on the radio are telling dozens of listeners that Hughton is in talks with Norwich.

Muddy Gunter wrote:

Anyone else worried why (if this is all legit) Birmingham are happy for us and WBA to talk to him if we agree to pay £2m?  They can''t be THAT strapped for cash!

Read today''s Birminghan Post - brum are up s**t creek without a paddle - owner Yeung just evicted from his hong kong mansion, facing 50+ million fraud charges, lost his legal battle to unfreeze assets of 51 million, failed to comply with legal requirements to file accounts for Birmingham International who own Birmingham City, and two directors including Steve McMannaman resign from this company in last 48 hours - and FA slap transfer embargo on them because of all the problems - I would suggest Hughton can''t wait to get out of there otherwise he won''t be getting a pay packet soon!

[quote user="kdncfc"]Odds are down to 1/10 on 32 Red - surely something is happening with odds that short.[/quote]Its nothing more than bookies cacking themselves and limiting how much money they could lose.They read the same websites we do, and make uneducated guesses, they don''t have the gift of second sight, or access to privileged information.

[quote user="porkyp"]Muddy Gunter wrote:

Anyone else worried why (if this is all legit) Birmingham are happy for us and WBA to talk to him if we agree to pay £2m?  They can''t be THAT strapped for cash!

Read today''s Birminghan Post - brum are up s**t creek without a paddle - owner Yeung just evicted from his hong kong mansion, facing 50+ million fraud charges, lost his legal battle to unfreeze assets of 51 million, failed to comply with legal requirements to file accounts for Birmingham International who own Birmingham City, and two directors including Steve McMannaman resign from this company in last 48 hours - and FA slap transfer embargo on them because of all the problems - I would suggest Hughton can''t wait to get out of there otherwise he won''t be getting a pay packet soon![/quote]Interesting.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="barclayboys"]Alan '' got a f4cking massive head'' Brazil just said on talksport Chrissy Houghton in Norfolk for talks. Would be good if true[/quote]

For it to be true (unless we have been very stupid) we would have had to have made an official approach to Birmingham and received permission to speak to Hughton. I''m not saying that hasn''t happened, but I suspect news of such an approach would have leaked out, from one source or another.

[/quote]

According to a fan (who may or may not be right) on a Birmingham site Brazil didn''t say Hughton was in Norfolk; he said Hughton was rumoured to be in Norfolk.

[quote user="porkyp"]Muddy Gunter wrote: Anyone else worried why (if this is all legit) Birmingham are happy for us and WBA to talk to him if we agree to pay £2m?  They can''t be THAT strapped for cash! Read today''s Birminghan Post - brum are up s**t creek without a paddle - owner Yeung just evicted from his hong kong mansion, facing 50+ million fraud charges, lost his legal battle to unfreeze assets of 51 million, failed to comply with legal requirements to file accounts for Birmingham International who own Birmingham City, and two directors including Steve McMannaman resign from this company in last 48 hours - and FA slap transfer embargo on them because of all the problems - I would suggest Hughton can''t wait to get out of there otherwise he won''t be getting a pay packet soon![/quote]

Who are you calling Gunter fu**o?  Wind your neck in

With the managers that seem to be on the bookies lists we need to make the Hughton deal happen.I really dont fancy anyone else to carry on where paul has left off.

I would be happy with this signing as manager and certainly I think he is a well-mannered and appropriate leader for our team.I would like us to open our search further a field, I am sure we are... we have been innundated with applications hence I see that we will compile a list of those that hit certain requirements and work from there. We have had a long weekend to mull over these applications and I expect interviews this week and an appointment at the latest the early part of next week.If we get somebody already employed we will pay compensation and again I have no problem with that.This is our most important signing this summer and then he has to work quickly to acquire some key personnel on the football pitch. Grant Holt however wants to go so I hope we are adding to the transfer budget the manager has with his selling fee and to be honest I would think there may be a few others we can move on.I would hope, that although we need an appointment in haste, we are going through this correctly. This is the most important appointment and to be honest McNally has worked very well over the last three years, I expect him to do this in the right measured manner. Maybe cheap odds now, but I still think we will see some others come in on different odds as the week goes on.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]

[quote user="porkyp"]Muddy Gunter wrote: Anyone else worried why (if this is all legit) Birmingham are happy for us and WBA to talk to him if we agree to pay £2m?  They can''t be THAT strapped for cash! Read today''s Birminghan Post - brum are up s**t creek without a paddle - owner Yeung just evicted from his hong kong mansion, facing 50+ million fraud charges, lost his legal battle to unfreeze assets of 51 million, failed to comply with legal requirements to file accounts for Birmingham International who own Birmingham City, and two directors including Steve McMannaman resign from this company in last 48 hours - and FA slap transfer embargo on them because of all the problems - I would suggest Hughton can''t wait to get out of there otherwise he won''t be getting a pay packet soon![/quote]

[/quote] Porkyp is a right little ray of sunshine NOT

[quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]Odds are down to 1/10 on 32 Red - surely something is happening with odds that short.[/quote]Its nothing more than bookies cacking themselves and limiting how much money they could lose.They read the same websites we do, and make uneducated guesses, they don''t have the gift of second sight, or access to privileged information.[/quote]These markets are probably the most manipulated by bookies and so the profitable. Imagine if they ran a book on the Grand National installed a favourite and then took bets on another 40 horses non of which turned out to even be entered for the race?Any name will do some mugs bound to put a few quid on it.Apart from that if there is a market nobody knows anything concrete and if the odds rapidly shorten just before a manager is announced you may have the old bill looking very closely at your betting slip and/or it is likely to be voided.Win, win and win again for the bookies as a rule even if they do have to pay a few out like they will have done with PL who was fav for the Villa job long before he was even cough cough turned down for a meet by Norwich.

[quote user="At least Im still here"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]Odds are down to 1/10 on 32 Red - surely something is happening with odds that short.[/quote]Its nothing more than bookies cacking themselves and limiting how much money they could lose.They read the same websites we do, and make uneducated guesses, they don''t have the gift of second sight, or access to privileged information.[/quote]These markets are probably the most manipulated by bookies and so the profitable. Imagine if they ran a book on the Grand National installed a favourite and then took bets on another 40 horses non of which turned out to even be entered for the race?Any name will do some mugs bound to put a few quid on it.Apart from that if there is a market nobody knows anything concrete and if the odds rapidly shorten just before a manager is announced you may have the old bill looking very closely at your betting slip and/or it is likely to be voided.Win, win and win again for the bookies as a rule even if they do have to pay a few out like they will have done with PL who was fav for the Villa job long before he was even cough cough turned down for a meet by Norwich.[/quote]Eggzackly[Y]

[quote user="Grantham Canary"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote] Porkyp is a right little ray of sunshine NOT[/quote]

I suppose that the board know that whoever they appoint , there will be someone who puts a downer on it.  If we were to get Guardiola or Mourinho in, there''d doubtless be some who''d say they want an Englishman as they don''t rate these nasty dago types.

Who''s to say whether , firstly, Hughton will be appointed, or secondly, whether he''ll be a success, but I''m not sure whether dragging up the financial woes at St Andrews is either relevant or helpful.

I seriously doubt there is any truth in this at all as I am sure the press would have been alerted to this by now due to the fact that Brum would have had to give permission for this to happen.

My sense is that we''ll take a bit of time assessing more than one candidate - and by that I mean assessing through meeting and discussing things with each candidate. Attitude is so important and that will only come through meeting and assessing candidates based on their personalities and outlooks, not just on their track records. Hughton clearly would be a great candidate, but there will be others who should perhaps be met with and assessed in person. Having said that, it appears as though Lambert was the one and only candidate who the club met when we were looking for Gunn''s replacement, but having just lost 1-7 to Colchester and languishing at the foot of League One meant something urgent needed to happen. We need some urgency with this appointment, but I sense that we might be waiting a couple more weeks before we hear something concrete. My only concern with Hughton is he''s still relatively young and he probably still has ambitions to manage at the top and therefore might see us as a step-up from Brum, but maybe a stepping stone elsewhere...

[quote user="The Mist"]My sense is that we''ll take a bit of time assessing more than one candidate - and by that I mean assessing through meeting and discussing things with each candidate. Attitude is so important and that will only come through meeting and assessing candidates based on their personalities and outlooks, not just on their track records. Hughton clearly would be a great candidate, but there will be others who should perhaps be met with and assessed in person. Having said that, it appears as though Lambert was the one and only candidate who the club met when we were looking for Gunn''s replacement, but having just lost 1-7 to Colchester and languishing at the foot of League One meant something urgent needed to happen. We need some urgency with this appointment, but I sense that we might be waiting a couple more weeks before we hear something concrete. My only concern with Hughton is he''s still relatively young and he probably still has ambitions to manage at the top and therefore might see us as a step-up from Brum, but maybe a stepping stone elsewhere...[/quote]I don''t think theres anything wrong with your last point, as long as we, as a club, continue to grow too.

Relatively young? He''s 53...so against what? He is older than Bruce, and 11 older than Lambert.

Perhaps he is relatively inexperienced as a manager (in reality he has been top man for only c2-3 seasons), but was coach/assistant at Spuds for 10.

Hughton is still relatively young (53??) but what sort of manager do people really expect. I would say there are 4 types, 1)young man looking for first job, 2)youngish man with some good experience but who is looking for the next step up, 3) established experienced and succesful manager or 4) past it dinosaur. as far as i can see, we certainly dont want a new man starting out on his first job, and we dont want a dnosaur thats past it. An experienced estabilished manager would be great but its likely to be a step down to us as he is probably at a club of similar size if not bigger, so a relatively young man looking to progress is our best hope. If its Hughton, or whoever, lets hope another big side want to take him from us in  3 years time

The more I think about Hughton the more I think he''s the perfect choice. One nagging worry though, he worked very well with Joey Barton at Newcastle, would he want to bring him here?

[quote user="GiveItToVarco"]The more I think about Hughton the more I think he''s the perfect choice. One nagging worry though, he worked very well with Joey Barton at Newcastle, would he want to bring him here?[/quote]

Joey Barton when his attitude is right is a very very good player. But 95% of the time he''s a complete idiot and his wages would be out of our league. Cant see him ever playing for us, he was also already at Newcastle, Hughton didnt try and sign him.

I''m guessing those that said he was young did so without knowing his real age. I''d have said he was a young manager (not too young) but that''s because I think he looks like he''s in his late 30''s!

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I''m guessing those that said he was young did so without knowing his real age. I''d have said he was a young manager (not too young) but that''s because I think he looks like he''s in his late 30''s!

[/quote]

Admittedly he is 53. But he is relevatively new to the management game and has in my opinion done really well in his first 2 management positions. I would rather have someone like that who looks relatively fresh and exciting than someone who has been doing the rounds for ages such as Bruce.  

[quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]Odds are down to 1/10 on 32 Red - surely something is happening with odds that short.
[/quote]

Its nothing more than bookies cacking themselves and limiting how much money they could lose.

They read the same websites we do, and make uneducated guesses, they don''t have the gift of second sight, or access to privileged information.
[/quote]

I remember your wisdom Morty that lambert to Villa was all just paper talk.....you clearly know your club better than all of us

[quote user="Jacko"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I''m guessing those that said he was young did so without knowing his real age. I''d have said he was a young manager (not too young) but that''s because I think he looks like he''s in his late 30''s!

[/quote]

Admittedly he is 53. But he is relevatively new to the management game and has in my opinion done really well in his first 2 management positions. I would rather have someone like that who looks relatively fresh and exciting than someone who has been doing the rounds for ages such as Bruce.  

[/quote]Agreed. Ability outweighs experiences hands down.Mouriniho when he won his first Champions league hadn''t managed for as long as Glenn Roeder.. Who''s experience would you rather though!

Lambert ot villa was paper talk, just as OGS to villa, Martinez to Villa/liverpool, was just papertalk, god even some of the rumours on here come true. most of it is just speculation, they report 99 stories which are bollox, then the 1 that comes true they will print a huge icon saying ''we told you first''. And the bookies odds are just what people like us think, not the bookies, they just react to it. The fact that Glenn roeder appears on some bookies at 20/1 should show that the odds mean little in reality.

[/quote]

Yeah Andy. The same thing happens to me all the time[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Yeah Andy. The same thing happens to me all the time[;)]

[/quote]Yeah, I''ve got a mirror like that Nigel.