Sign in to follow this  
whitebeard

would you let Grant Holt go...

Would you be happy to let Grant Holt go for the £6.5 million that has been whispered about?

every dog has his day and he isnt getting any younger! Great return on £400,000 paid for him!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]No.[/quote]

Your reasons being?

You would rather keep someone who no longer wants to play for the club than cash in on him for £6.5m?

for god sake there are loads of grant holt threads couldn''t you have put it on the bottom of one of those ? who cares if  no one reads it cos they get pi55ed off trawling there way through 65 posts of persoal arguments between a couple of  old bores who think there opinion is more important than everyone elses ? next time don''t be so bloody selfish  [:@]

[quote user="whitebeard"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]No.[/quote]

Your reasons being?

You would rather keep someone who no longer wants to play for the club than cash in on him for £6.5m?

[/quote]hit the nail on the head...he doesnt want to be her... it will be far more damamging keeping him here.. he could just go on strike and b*gger off to play Golf in Argentina for 6 months...in all seriousness.. he doesnt want to be here.. so sell him, he will bench warm at best elsewhere.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]No.[/quote] brownstone I love your stance on holt. Similar to me.70 goals in 130 games, talisman , captain. Heart beat of our team. Money can''t buy. An argument got out of hand over one years salary . People throwing abuse at him . Holt clearly ill advised by his agent. Twitter bloody technology! My answer is obviously no! The guy deserves another year however being controversial I''m 100% in Mcnally we trust ...

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]No.[/quote] brownstone I love your stance on holt. Similar to me.70 goals in 130 games, talisman , captain. Heart beat of our team. Money can''t buy. An argument got out of hand over one years salary . People throwing abuse at him . Holt clearly ill advised by his agent. Twitter bloody technology! My answer is obviously no! The guy deserves another year however being controversial I''m 100% in Mcnally we trust ...[/quote]

I agree with you that the guy is a born goal scorer a favorite of the fans ( mine to ) but he wants out!

I think you have to look at the bigger picture the guy isnt getting any younger and £6.5m is alot of money for a bloke

who is old by footballing standards.

6.5 mil is a very substantial figure for a player of that age - especially a striker with only a single season in the prem to his name. That''s not a dig at Holt either, simply that if players like Zamora are going for 4 mil, then half that again sounds like a very strong deal tbh.I genuinely can''t see the board turning that offer down if it comes in.

My reasons whitebeard are as noted above. Granted (excuse the pun) he''s not handled this very well (neither has McNally) but lets not forget this all came about because he wanted to stay here an extra year, he''s handed in a transfer request because he doesn''t feel he can stay here after the way he''s been treated, not because Marcus Evans has offered to double his wages for gods sake. I think what he''s done for us on and off the pitch these past 3 years affords him a bit of a cock up don''t you?

If you think we can find a player who will score us 15 goals a season, create goals for others, be our captain, our talisman, the dressing room leader for £6m then you need your head looking at. No offence.

I fucking love Grant Holt.

[quote user="im spartacus"]for god sake there are loads of grant holt threads couldn''t you have put it on the bottom of one of those ? who cares if  no one reads it cos they get pi55ed off trawling there way through 65 posts of persoal arguments between a couple of  old bores who think there opinion is more important than everyone elses ? next time don''t be so bloody selfish  [:@][/quote][IMG]http://oels.byu.edu/student/idioms/idioms/images/hit_nail_on_head.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]If you think we can find a player who will score us 15 goals a season, create goals for others, be our captain, our talisman, the dressing room leader for £6m then you need your head looking at. No offence.[/quote]All fair points MB, but breaking it down slightly, there''s no guarantee he''ll perform that well again next year or the year after for that matter, so potentially we''re not talking about replacing a 15 goal striker, we could be replacing a 10 goal striker, or a 5 goal striker etc.The dressing room may not be as strongly behind him as before, although chances are they have a much better idea what''s going on than we do, so could be a non-issue.I think we have a few players who could step up to the captain''s role, so that''s not a worry for me, and we also have a number of players with the ability to create goals.I genuinely rate the guy and felt he''s been cheated with the England snub, but taking all emotion out of it and looking at it purely in a hard-nosed business manner, can we afford to turn down a very strong big on a gamble that he''ll have the same performance level for the next year or two?This is where I think the board will struggle to rationalise the decision to keep him, and I believe that the money would talk stronger to our board than the other factors.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]My reasons whitebeard are as noted above. Granted (excuse the pun) he''s not handled this very well (neither has McNally) but lets not forget this all came about because he wanted to stay here an extra year, he''s handed in a transfer request because he doesn''t feel he can stay here after the way he''s been treated, not because Marcus Evans has offered to double his wages for gods sake. I think what he''s done for us on and off the pitch these past 3 years affords him a bit of a cock up don''t you? If you think we can find a player who will score us 15 goals a season, create goals for others, be our captain, our talisman, the dressing room leader for £6m then you need your head looking at. No offence. I fucking love Grant Holt.[/quote]

Without a doubt Grant Holt has been Fantastic the past 3 seasons. I am not saying that he hasn''t, im saying if £6.5m was offered i would

take it. In our side Lambert has invested in a number of players that can be captains and have been captains at previous clubs. finding another goalscorer.. well pop that £6.5m in with the rest of the transfer kitty and Bobs your Uncle Fannys your Aunt!

It''s not as simple as that though. You can''t just say we''ll stick that £6.5m with the rest of the kitty and spunk £10m on a new striker. Any idea what the wages of a footballer commanding a £10m+ fee are? A lot more than £16k a week.

I sincerely hope I''m wrong but I believe that if we allow Grant Holt to leave the club this summer we''ll end up regretting it at the end of next season.

Does anybody know what sort of fees 29 year old footballers are transferred for? Is 6.5m likely? Or even 4.5m? I''ve got my doubts about this. 6.5m and a 3 year contract on Premiership money? I would have thought there''d be no chance of anything like that sort of fee.

In 20 years of following city I''ve seen 3 decent captains. Butterworth, malky and holty. We might have captains of previous clubs but does not make them good captains. Holy is a captain plus so much more. For a smaller top flight club like us he is irreplaceable

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Does anybody know what sort of fees 29 year old footballers are transferred for? Is 6.5m likely? Or even 4.5m? I''ve got my doubts about this. 6.5m and a 3 year contract on Premiership money? I would have thought there''d be no chance of anything like that sort of fee.

[/quote]

Ooops I meant 31 year old footballers. The point I was going to add was that Ted MacDougall left for just £50,000 when he was 29.

Anyway, I reckon we wouldn''t even get 1m for him if he was getting a 3 year contract elsewhere. In fact half that figure would be my guess.

nutty nigel "Does anybody know what sort of fees 29 year old footballers are transferred for? Is 6.5m likely? Or even 4.5m? I''ve got my doubts about this. 6.5m and a 3 year contract on Premiership money? I would have thought there''d be no chance of anything like that sort of fee."

Stoke paid a reported 10 Million (Some estimates rising to 12 Million) for Crouch last summer when Crouch was roughly 6 Months younger than Holt is now. In his two full seasons at Tottenham according to a couple of stats sites he played 73 premier league games (31 as sub) and scored 12 goals. That''s a striker averaging a goal every 6 games at roughly the same age. Now I know people will say about his England Caps and he is therefore an international striker etc. but that is still a pretty poor recent Premiership record and they paid 10 million for him! 6.5 million for Holt when he wants out is possibly a good deal. If WH are the only bidders the figure I imagine will be lower than we would want, if he is more sought after in a bidding war that figure should go up. But if we don''t have to or want to sell him, the Crouch sale says to me we should be looking for a bit more. 8-10 when he wants out, I would say whoever wants him can definitely have him, 6.5 for me is good but not great, especially if more than one club is interested and as we have made it clear we don''t want or have to sell.

Indy_Bones, unless something drastic happens to Holt''s form, I believe he''ll score just as many goals next season. His goals this season were too varied & intelligently crafted; he is a many-trick pony, something that you rarely see in football. Plus he makes goals for others & can take pressure off the team - as well as winding up the opposition a treat.

He doesn''t rely on pace either, so his career could last a few years yet, a la Sheringham.

However, it has to be said he may not ''fit'' another team so well, especially ones containing (other?) over inflated egos. I suspect he likes being the biggest fish in his particular pond.

It''s all a big shame, & we can only hope the situation can be resolved. If he goes I think we will both come to regret it.

I''d take 3M.I think that would be a great bit of business- 3 seasons like he put in here and then turn a profit on a player in his 30s.

[quote user="Monty13"]nutty nigel "Does anybody know what sort of fees 29 year old footballers are transferred for? Is 6.5m likely? Or even 4.5m? I''ve got my doubts about this. 6.5m and a 3 year contract on Premiership money? I would have thought there''d be no chance of anything like that sort of fee." Stoke paid a reported 10 Million (Some estimates rising to 12 Million) for Crouch last summer when Crouch was roughly 6 Months younger than Holt is now. In his two full seasons at Tottenham according to a couple of stats sites he played 73 premier league games (31 as sub) and scored 12 goals. That''s a striker averaging a goal every 6 games at roughly the same age. Now I know people will say about his England Caps and he is therefore an international striker etc. but that is still a pretty poor recent Premiership record and they paid 10 million for him! 6.5 million for Holt when he wants out is possibly a good deal. If WH are the only bidders the figure I imagine will be lower than we would want, if he is more sought after in a bidding war that figure should go up. But if we don''t have to or want to sell him, the Crouch sale says to me we should be looking for a bit more. 8-10 when he wants out, I would say whoever wants him can definitely have him, 6.5 for me is good but not great, especially if more than one club is interested and as we have made it clear we don''t want or have to sell.[/quote]

Thanks Monty. Now that IS an interesting one because it appears Stoke paid 10m AND gave Crouch a 4 year contract.

Of course we won''t get 10m for Holt but maybe I''ll up  my estimate. However, bearing that in mind the best option for Norwich is surely to give Holt that extra year.

I wouldn''t let him go until the new manager is installed and can have a good talk to him.    Hopefully, the situation with a new, well thought of  manager, will encourage  Holty to sort out his agent and get the contract situation sorted.    

All it would then need is a few words from Holty to the effect that he''s happy to still be at Carrow Rd, wants to stay - and most of us will forgive him!     Then - he scores a couple of goals - and all this will have been forgotten.  

To be clear, I would prefer Grant Holt to stay, I do not buy into all what his agent is saying and it depresses me that football has to put up with such self serving leeches, equally if Grant Holt is adamant that he wants to leave then NCFc have to get as much as they can for him. My personal opinion is that NCFC will do everything possible to ensure he stays, and if I ever meet his agent I will quite happily give him a swift knee to the nads (assuming he has a pair).....

LDC I totally agree, once a new manager is in place hopefully it can all get sorted and he will stay. It will certainly be the opportunity for Holt to make a change of heart and save face with the fans, assuming he is prepared to do that, suppose it will also depend on what McNally is prepared to do.

If Holt can earn £45k a wk at Villa or West Ham on a 3 year deal, he isn''t going to stay at City on £15k on a 2 year deal. I hate to say it but I fear we''ve blown it for the sake of a 1 year extension. Major c*ck up if so.