Sign in to follow this  
blacko

One clear benefit of the Championship over the Premier League

Personally I hate the fact that we play on odd days at odd times and then not at all for a while. At least last year we tended to play every Saturday and the odd mid week as well. If some teams got their way and the Premier League was reduced in size it would be even worse. I think the Premier league should be increased in size. More gate revenue for the clubs. If they want to the larger teams can use the extra revenue for larger squads, then at least we would get a game each weekend.

Just waiting for the first sarky reply saying I will get my wish next year.

No sarcastic responses here blacko, I totally agree with you.

Whilst I always want to see Norwich playing football at the very highest level - the Premiership is a godawful league to be playing in.

It''s not just the stop-start nature or the 5pm kick-offs either, the three tier nature of the league is irritating and it took us ten years to be good enough to win Division One but it was possible. Norwich, sadly will never ever be able to win the Premiership or even be in contention for the title, so really, what is the point?

There''ll be nothing "odd" about next year if we cant pull off a miracle win this week and carry on... in fact, next year will be quite the opposite of "odd", it will be back to the "norm" of the last decade!!!

I''m hopin we do the miracle thing... I''ll eat 20 meat pies if we can stay up (I''m vego) so I puttin it all on the line, and I''ll follow it up with a 750g steak!!! Now there''s somethin odd for ya!!!

p-s... sarky

I agree - I am bored with sitting at home on a Saturday with nothing to look forward to.  I live and work in London but am a Season ticket holder.

I made a conscious decision not to go to away games this season for cost reasons but have sneaked in a couple of the London games.

In 2004 could not go to the Bolton game for personal reasons but have attended all other home games and despite not being a subscriber to Sky managed to see the Manure, Newcastle, and Man City games on TV all in all I saw 13 games "live" out of 20.

With Sky moving the Man City game to a weeknight where its a bugger to get back to London after the game, a long standing committment which prevents me from attending the Manure game and the Newcastle game having been moved to a night where I am unavailable to attend my potential for  2005 is an amazing 7 games in 4 and a half months!

I am becoming a part time fan...

At least next season there will be games on Saturdays - thats what they are there for!

OTBC

Totally agree sxcanaree - I''m sure 90% of exiled supporters have the same problem. Monday night games and late afternoon kick-offs are an absolute nightmare.

I''m in total agreement. Looking at the fixtures list for the last month, we have played 2 games in March!? that''s TWO games!

How can the Premiership and the FA justify the fixture chaos that always occurs at the end of a season when we, a non-European Cup chasing team with no interest in the domestic Cups have to sit about twiddling our thumbs awaiting our next game.

Granted the build up to the European Championships does take priority this season, but every season there seems to be lulls between games in the Premiership, with acres of space between competitive games.

Whilst we might not like the Championship (still a daft name/rebranding exercise) at least the games come thick and fast and there''s a prolonged excitement in competing in the Championship. That for me has been the biggest disappointment of being in the Premiership.

Pros:

1. A match every week
2. dont have stupid kick off times like 8.00pm on a monday?!? which is just stupid
3. Less glory and fair weather fans
4. Cow sheds like Rotheram are quite fun to go to

Cons:

1. Play is not as good
2. Less coverage

[quote]Pros: 1. A match every week 2. dont have stupid kick off times like 8.00pm on a monday?!? which is just stupid 3. Less glory and fair weather fans 4. Cow sheds like Rotheram are quite fun to go to C...[/quote]

I disagree with you''re cons.

Watching Arsenal vs. Chelsea might be an entertaining game of football - but watching Norwich being totally outplayed by a different class of team is just boring. At least the championship offers competitive football - not embarrassing drubbings.

Less coverage is better too. The media just laugh at us

It is amazing that around this time last year the Premiership was a "must" with all supporters and was looked upon as the best thing since sliced bread. It appears that the new "in" place to be has reverted to the Championship even though it will mean much less income from TV rights etc. which was so important a year ago.

The premiership is designed for teams that play in Europe. Teams that play in champions league and the UEFA get plenty more games.

Unfortunatley we couldnt muster a cup run (AGAIN)  so part of the reason we hardly ever play is because of these facts.

We must have played the fewest games out of all 92 clubs this year because we are in the smallest league, were not in Europe and we failed badly in both cups.

Sidewinder, don''t get me wrong I would rather be in the Premier League any day. I just miss being able to go to a game every Saturday.

I don''t think anyone wishes that we hadn''t got to the premiership but it is true that as well as the game timings being hassle for those living 3 hours away from (the previously) F CR, once the novelty had worn off of being in the Prem it has been equally draining to see the team almost inevitably implode in games they could have won and then drive 3 hours home in the dark. We all know the games, but particular lows for me were Blackburn, Fulham and Tottenham for various reasons, when the initial grit had disappeared and we started to become less effective

Last season I was on a high every time I drove there and back. This season, like the team, I''ve slowly been ground down. Like a lot of things in life, sometimes the journey is better than being there.