Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Yakubu?

Wants to leave Blackburn; probably would be willing to take a wage cut to return to the premiership; Only 29 although he seems to have been around forever; a realistic target and the kind of player who might fit into our squad, and would be a ''figurehead'' up front if Holt leaves... Would do well with the service from Pilkington as well I suspect. (Plus wouldn''t you just love to hear the entire Barclay chanting ''Feed The Yak And He Will Score!'' :-P )

Anyone else reckon he''d be a good buy, or am I on my own with this one...?

Would rather go all out and keep Holt than Yakubu and others that people keep mentioning.    Holt is still on our books.  There are no other aging players that can match him.    If he goes get a young up and coming player in.   

Agree LDC - no way Yakubu, we are NOT (yet at least) going down that route. We got 15 goals out of 15k a week from Holt, and we need to keep it that way, for the good of the club. 20 or even 25 if we have to do that to keep him. If we want to keep him we can, simple as that. Holt won''t have it in him to strike in the reserves playing no part if we tell him he has to stay another year at least.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Wants to leave Blackburn; probably would be willing to take a wage cut to return to the premiership; Only 29 although he seems to have been around forever; a realistic target and the kind of player who might fit into our squad, and would be a ''figurehead'' up front if Holt leaves... Would do well with the service from Pilkington as well I suspect. (Plus wouldn''t you just love to hear the entire Barclay chanting ''Feed The Yak And He Will Score!'' :-P ) Anyone else reckon he''d be a good buy, or am I on my own with this one...?[/quote]

If Yakubu is 29 then Delia Smith is 45.......

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Wants to leave Blackburn; probably would be willing to take a wage cut to return to the premiership; Only 29 although he seems to have been around forever; a realistic target and the kind of player who might fit into our squad, and would be a ''figurehead'' up front if Holt leaves... Would do well with the service from Pilkington as well I suspect. (Plus wouldn''t you just love to hear the entire Barclay chanting ''Feed The Yak And He Will Score!'' :-P ) Anyone else reckon he''d be a good buy, or am I on my own with this one...?[/quote]

If Yakubu is 29 then Delia Smith is 45.......

[/quote]

[:D]

Officially Yakubu is 29, but there have been several issues with African countries falsifying documents in order to make their players ''younger''
(We use over-age players for junior championships, I know that. Why not say it? It''s the truth. We always cheat- Anthony Kojo Williams, NFF Chairman, 1999-2000)
So Yakubu could be older. Anyway it''s all irrelevant his wages are HUGE. Everton sold him at a cut price to get him off their wage book and even Leicester (who have significant financial backing) refused to equal his current wage at Everton/Blackburn.  

Talking about Holt''s wages in this thread, there is a link on talksport saying that he wants to double his wages from £9k to £18k a week. He can''t still be on that surely?

"TalkSPORT understands the ex-Shrewsbury man wants to double his £9,000 per week wages, with West Ham and Aston Villa both interested."

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]What we need is a time machine.... go back 10 years and get a 22 year old Grant Holt :D
[/quote]

But he was crap then

[quote user="clarkey1972"]

[quote user="thenorthstand"]I''d rather pay £5 million and take Steven Fletcher from Wolves...[/quote]

Erm no thanks

[/quote]

Erm whyever not?

[quote user="Gareth"]Officially Yakubu is 29, but there have been several issues with African countries falsifying documents in order to make their players ''younger''

(We use over-age players for junior championships, I know that. Why not say it? It''s the truth. We always cheat- Anthony Kojo Williams, NFF Chairman, 1999-2000)

So Yakubu could be older. Anyway it''s all irrelevant his wages are HUGE. Everton sold him at a cut price to get him off their wage book and even Leicester (who have significant financial backing) refused to equal his current wage at Everton/Blackburn.  

[/quote]

Who can ever forget the never to be forgotten Finidi George (or was it George Finidi?). A match truly made in heaven!

No, that would be a panic buy. Not only that but his wages would be immense, something we just cant pay, the fact that he is ageing and we need to keep building a young team.

I say stick with, uh...the other guy who brought this idea into the club, and stick with looking for gems in the lower leagues who are young and hungry.