Sign in to follow this  
ZEMAS TENDON

CROUCH OR ASHTON

Now i would rather have ASHTON in the team than CROUCH, we paid 3-odd Million for ASHTON and CROUCH went for 2.5 Million so should we have brought CROUCH for 2.5 Million and spent the other .5 Million on someone else... any thoughts

100%Crouch.13 goals in 15 games?Puhlllease.Ashton not ready yet and needs another season.rouch in his prime and scoring for fun will probabky sadly keep Saints up.

[quote]My god without a shadow of a doubt Ashton![/quote]

have to agree but if Crouch came at beginning of this season (which I would have liked) I feel that he could have served us for a good 5 or 6 seasons whereas I truly and rightly believe that Ashton is using Norwich as a springboard for bigger and better things.

Ashton will outgrow us. Crouch never would.  

2 seasons max with us so enjoy him while he is here . 

No puns intended!!!!  Honest.

Age????

Ashton is obviously younger and would last longer....

With the current midfielders that we''ve got at present, neither of them were ever going to score a hatful. Give either striker good service and they''ll score. However, I think that Deano will just about turn out to be the better of the two in the years to come.

I''ll say one thing - I would certainly prefer Crouch in the England set-up instead of the likes of Heskey....the England front pair lacked height yesterday.

Back to club level, I''m undecided on who is better. Crouchy has certainly used his height to good advantage on at least half his goals, whereas Deano is good on the floor and powering in shots.
Once everybody has got used to his play, and he has developed, Ashton will be banging them in pretty much every single game.

How about them both together? If I had to choose, I''d go for Ashton.

Only Crouch was available at the beginning of the season, and I think we should have bought him then. When the window arrived even if both players were available I would have gone for Ashton.

I think this is a tough one to call. Mainly because it is easy to say now, I would have Crouch with his goals. But then just because he is in our team doesnt mean he is going to score.

Rednap knows Crouch, he was the original guy behind getting him a good goal to game ratio and it basically centres around playing long balls up to him to knock down for Philips (ala Quin style) to finish. Or to use the wings alot to create arial chances that no one else can reach.

However, when you look at where he was at the beggining of the season before signing for the saints you''ll see that his most successful patch was back when he was with Portsmouth and then the little run he had with us. I think he is a player that needs a lot of work put into, you have to fit the team around him.

Its all right pumping the ball from defence up to him all of the time, but you are accepting that you midfield in the middle isnt capable of good football.

Personally I like the attacking options to be more open and less predictable. That way if someone does a good job of quietening your star player then you have other tricks to employ which may later in the game loosen the shackles on the said star player.

That has been the problem this season. Its not that we arent good enough all over the park its that we lack, especially without Bently, someone who is prepared to explore and probe the oppositions formation with tricks and passes. Hux is pure class to the point where he is marled out of most games. This should be taken advantage of.

As soon as that happens someone else should take on the taskt and exploit the area where the double marking is making it weak. Thats why I think Francis is a little over-rated. He is at best of the same sort of ilk as Matt Holland apart from he is no where near as good defencively, no as good with distribution.

What we need is someone like Shackell who isnt scared and is prepared to have a go at defenders, take a shot from distance or just try and pull some strings on the pitch to test the opposition more.

For me getting poor results against teams like Bolton and Tottenham is dissapointing simply because of the amount of pace we have in the team and the lack of it, bar King that either of them have. King should have been so knackered by the time he came of the pitch that he was throwing up. We should be making our superior fitness show by using the pace we have!

It''s all a bit academic really as we have Deano and not Crouchy. In an ideal world I''d like both. Chicken has made a good point that Crouch is harder to fit into a team. Saints have a better midfield that ours with Prutton and Redknapp keen on getting forward to play off Crouch''s knock downs and flicks. Our midfield is more likely to be having a  cup of tea.