Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Culverhouse or Hughton for me so far.

I haven''t fully thought it through, but of the obvious candidates for our next manager my instincts lie with them. And who;''s to say they couldn''t work together?

Gary Neville is an interesting thought - especially after Roy Hodgson plumped for him as England coach - but I fear that he might turn out to be an ultimately ineffective hard man like Roy Keane, Gary Megson or Glenn Roeder.

I think that the Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Mike Walker approach incorporating the better parts of Paul Lambert is our best bet at this time for consolidation and progress over the next few years. Backed by the BowkettMcNally duo of course.

But there again McNally might surprise us all.

OTBC

do you think this could be the right time to try something a bit different like a foreign manager ? i understand the 2 you mentioned do know the league and maybe safe option which we might need in the 2nd year  of premiership  but will they push us on ??

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I haven''t fully thought it through, but of the obvious candidates for our next manager my instincts lie with them. And who;''s to say they couldn''t work together?

Gary Neville is an interesting thought - especially after Roy Hodgson plumped for him as England coach - but I fear that he might turn out to be an ultimately ineffective hard man like Roy Keane, Gary Megson or Glenn Roeder.

I think that the Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Mike Walker approach incorporating the better parts of Paul Lambert is our best bet at this time for consolidation and progress over the next few years. Backed by the BowkettMcNally duo of course.

But there again McNally might surprise us all.

OTBC

[/quote]I was going to post something abusive because of you insisting on posting yet ANOTHER  manager thread.Good post though. [;)][Y]

Re: Ian Culverhouse as our next manager.

This seems to have divided this Board fairly equally. The pros are acclaiming IC''s contribution to Lambert''s success as the reason that he should step-up, whilst some even consider Culverhouse to be the reason for Lambert''s success. 

The antis cite the man''s zil managerial experience, also also stating (inaccurately) that number twos rarely succeed.

Personally, I haven''t got a clue, with regards to the pros and cons of the situation, and neither can any poster on this or any other NCFC forum.

The extent, or otherwise, of IC''s real value can only be known to various persona within the Club. McNally will know, the player''s will know and others (including the Board) have  also been in a position to formulate an opininion on the mattrer.

If Culverhouse is selected it will be for good reasons and will be a decision made by people in the know and for all the right reasons. It will not be a cheap or easy option, as has happened before IMO.  If he is not promoted, then ditto.

Therefore, if Culverhouse gets the job, I, for one will be happy. If he doesn''t the there are no bones broken.

One thing that I and the rest of us do know is that it will be, give or take the obvious, a fairly seamless repair job with business as usual in as speedy a possible way. This cannot be a bad thing IMHO. Everything will likely be maintained from training ground routines to targets in the transfer market to harmony (moreso?) within the Club. McNally can then get his Lego set out again and carry on with his plans for expanding the stadium and Delia can continue work on her new cookbook.

I think McNally''s quote about getting a manager with relevant "top league" experience essentially rules IC out of the running anyway.

Mark .Y.

I love Cully. One of my favourite all-time City players. But I don''t think he''s the man.

This situation seems to me like the aftermath of Mike Walker''s departure for Everton. At the time, I think most people saw the appointment of John Deehan as a great move to establish continuity, etc. But actually it just compounded the feeling that the great journey was over and that we were winding down. Deehan was basically a poor man''s Walker, and I think Cully would be a poor man''s Lambert.

What we need is the sense of a fresh, exciting start. I want to read the news of our new manager and think ''Bloody hell, how did we manage to persuade him to come to Carrow Road?'' We badly need to lift the gloom.

I don''t know who that man is, but Hughton is certainly a possibility. I suspect that Birmingham fans will be thinking "We''re a bigger club than Norwich - they just happen to be in the Premier League." It would be good to establish that, on the contrary, we see ourselves as bigger than them, and expect to be established in the PL for many years to come.

I totally agree with Robert N. LiM with this:

''I want to read the news of our new manager and think ''Bloody hell, how did we manage to persuade him to come to Carrow Road?'' We badly need to lift the gloom.''

But can''t see how it reconciles with this:

''Hughton is certainly a possibility.''

Did a solid job with Newcastle but hasn''t got the Blues up, when surely that was the basic requirement for this season. Oh and besides being an apparently nice bloke what is there to think that a man who didn''t become a manager until his 50s is all of a sudden a would-be saviour.

This is far from ambitious thinking.

Also, noone could argue Birmingham are bigger than Norwich (ok the city itself is bigger!). They struggle to shift season tickets and have won barely anything in their history. Don''t be deceived by the fact they''ve spent more time in the top flight than us lately, they are no Villa and never have been.

Terry Butcher anyone?He seems to be doing a decent job up there in Jockland and may even have picked up a Scottish accent to help things along.

Fair enough, Mr Devine. To be honest I haven''t got a clue who our new manager should be.

And you need to remember that at Birmingham he was picking up the pieces after the awful McLeish. No one in their right mind would want a job like that.

Gary Neville is an intelligent bloke and was a damn fine player who lives and breathes football.. would certainly command respect and he has almost become universally liked ... i would get behind him if  it was him... it won''t be but it wouldn''t be the end of the world

I think we have have to trust McNallys judgement on this, whoever comes in.

He acted promptly by dismissing Gunn and surprised the vast majority of us in appointing Lambert who was not in most peoples top 2/3 lists of candidates.    McNally seems to know the market & while the fact that he is not limiting himself to the UK is a sound approach, it  does not mean that he will appoint from there. As a PL club we can now fish in a wider pond to find the best manager with PL like attributes to continue our success.

I dont see the likes Hughton, Malky, Culverhouse etc having better credentials than Hareide, Laudrup or Garcia.   What I do have is confidence that we will get a manager that McNally will get a good candidate in - how well that works is another thing

I''m starting to go off the idea of Hughton because I''ve recently found out he''s a Trotskyist >>> [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton]Schroll down to the Person Life section.[/url] That puts on a par with Hoddle for nuttiness.

[quote user="Shyster"]I''m starting to go off the idea of Hughton because I''ve recently found out he''s a Trotskyist >>> [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton]Schroll down to the Person Life section.[/url] That puts him on a par with Hoddle for nuttiness. [/quote]

Thanks for that piece of info, Shyster. My opinion of Hughton has risen dramatically as a result. Not too many left-wing footballers.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Thanks for that piece of info, Shyster. My opinion of Hughton has risen dramatically as a result. Not too many left-wing footballers.[/quote]

Absolutely, Robert. And if we got Paul Breitner in as well we would have a Trotskyist and a Maoist to counterbalance Grant Holt''s Conservatism.

Hughton for me. for a number of reasons. he seems a very calm and thoughtful man, very respected by everyone and for quite a few years was held in very high regard as a fantastic coach at some big clubs. he now has experience of managing a couple of clubs, both with success in varying situations, and i think the players will respect him......There has been alot of names mentioned, mostly very scary names, but i did read somewhere that Tim Sherwood was being considered, no idea what the truth is in that, but it was a new name sothought i would put it out there. But going by what mcnally has said we wont be appointing a new manager beginning his career with us

The only concern I have about Hughton being appointed is his backroom team. It includes Colin Calderwood. Wasn''t he the one who decided to put Holt on the wing for Forest after a successful season up front?

Ahhhh Holt''s transfer request becoming clearer ;)

How about both ? Hughton as manager with a very able Culverhouse as no.2

Are you looking for a safe pair of hands who will keep us up next year, but perhaps is never going to set the world alight? If so, choose Hughton, although there will be a little matter of compensation.

Or are you looking for a someone who would be a risk, with the possibility that we take off or that we may struggle to avoid relegation? If so, choose Culverhouse, who knows the players and the club well and who had signicant input into Lambert''s decisions, although he has had absolutely no managerial experience of any relevant sort. Or else choose Lee Clark,who has had contact with the club and had useful managerial experience, including losing only 3 in 55 games played, so he must know something about defending, which Lambert and Co seemed to loack.

Either of Culverhouse or Clark would come free of compensation cost, and would be able to start immediately. This, and Bruce''s somewhat mixed success, would suggest that they rather than Bruce or Hughton should be given a chance.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Are you looking for a safe pair of hands who will keep us up next year, but perhaps is never going to set the world alight? If so, choose Hughton, although there will be a little matter of compensation.

Or are you looking for a someone who would be a risk, with the possibility that we take off or that we may struggle to avoid relegation? If so, choose Culverhouse, who knows the players and the club well and who had signicant input into Lambert''s decisions, although he has had absolutely no managerial experience of any relevant sort. Or else choose Lee Clark,who has had contact with the club and had useful managerial experience, including losing only 3 in 55 games played, so he must know something about defending, which Lambert and Co seemed to loack.

Either of Culverhouse or Clark would come free of compensation cost, and would be able to start immediately. This, and Bruce''s somewhat mixed success, would suggest that they rather than Bruce or Hughton should be given a chance.

[/quote]

But if (as I suspect) the McNally top-flight test means managing in a top-flight league, as opposed to coaching, neither Clark nor Culverhouse passes it.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Fair enough, Mr Devine. To be honest I haven''t got a clue who our new manager should be.

And you need to remember that at Birmingham he was picking up the pieces after the awful McLeish. No one in their right mind would want a job like that.[/quote]

ha ha ha quality! You''re not David McNally, by chance?

see Bly! sometimes if you wish for something enough your dreams do come true!

...that, and if you have enough stabs in the dark, you may get a hit.

...only joshing fella... I''m delighted that we have CH and IC is still with us as a number 2-ish. (OR! is this just a ploy for McNasty to get some compo out of Villa?)