Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Saturdays for next few months

What a great season it has been. I have followed the canaries home and away. Am dreading having a free Saturday with no footie action.

But what do to with the free time must get my fix of sport. Any suggestions?

[quote user="ting tong"]

What a great season it has been. I have followed the canaries home and away. Am dreading having a free Saturday with no footie action.

But what do to with the free time must get my fix of sport. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

Euro2012; Olympic football; pre-season friendlies.....new season......simples

Southwold and Aldeburgh are both delightful if the weather is nice. I''d also recommend the Greene King brewery tour in Bury St Edmunds, education and stimulation.

Next weekend is play-off final. CL must be around then as well.

You''ve then got international friendlies shortly after that, followed by Euro 2012 starting in June. The Oylmpics as well. Friendlies will start in July. Its not exactly a long break between sporting action.

Also, if you actually want other suggestions, and not just making the point of a so called long summer, then what sport do you actually like? I''m sure there is plenty of Snooker, Tennis, racing and the like on. And there is always cricket, if you like being bored.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Next weekend is play-off final. CL must be around then as well. You''ve then got international friendlies shortly after that, followed by Euro 2012 starting in June. The Oylmpics as well. Friendlies will start in July. Its not exactly a long break between sporting action. Also, if you actually want other suggestions, and not just making the point of a so called long summer, then what sport do you actually like? I''m sure there is plenty of Snooker, Tennis, racing and the like on. And there is always cricket, if you like being bored.[/quote]

Hmmmm.....is cricket a sport?   Lost its credibilty years ago for me.     Watching paint dry would be more exciting........seeing how the wet sheen of the paint gradually changes to more of a  matt finish as it dries, with a slight change in the colour too as it dries out.   See how the brush marks miraculously disappear as the paint settles.   Watching to see if there are any runs in the paint where it has gone on too thickly, whether there are any bare patches where the paint hasn''t gone on thickly enough.   Oh yes, much more interesting - and its real - unlike........

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Next weekend is play-off final. CL must be around then as well. You''ve then got international friendlies shortly after that, followed by Euro 2012 starting in June. The Oylmpics as well. Friendlies will start in July. Its not exactly a long break between sporting action. Also, if you actually want other suggestions, and not just making the point of a so called long summer, then what sport do you actually like? I''m sure there is plenty of Snooker, Tennis, racing and the like on. And there is always cricket, if you like being bored.[/quote]

Actually what GP meant to type was:

"And there is always cricket, which is the greatest game invented by mankind, compared to which football is a bagatelle of merely transient interest."

"Southwold and Aldeburgh are both delightful if the weather is nice. I''d also recommend the Greene King brewery tour in Bury St Edmunds, education and stimulation."

We stayed in Woodbridge last April. Delightful place. Locals I encountered on the train in to Ipswich were really confident they would put the November thrashing behind them. Oh ...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

"And there is always cricket, which is the greatest game invented by mankind, compared to which football is a bagatelle of merely transient interest."

[/quote]

With perhaps a caviat to the effect - " but which has been thoroughly undermined over the years by its playboy image and match fixing to the extent it is now devalued beyond redemption in the eyes of many.  "    [:(]  

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Edmund Slothus, so you like Greene King?[/quote]

Not particularly, however when I toured the brewery it was fascinating.

Do you like it?

[B]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

With perhaps a caviat to the effect - " but which has been thoroughly undermined over the years by its playboy image and match fixing to the extent it is now devalued beyond redemption in the eyes of many.  "    [:(]  

[/quote]

With perhaps a caviat to the effect - " but which has been thoroughly undermined over the years by its playboy image and match fixing to the extent it is now devalued beyond redemption in the eyes of many.

"
Unlike football, which has never lost touch with its working class roots and has never fallen prey to the cult of celebrity, and in which there has never been the slightest hint of match-fixing, bribing of officials, cheating, sharp pratice, thuggery...[;)]

To be honest LDC, there has been match fixing in football, as far as i''m aware just as many incidents in Italy as there have been in International cricket. Also think there was some match fixing problems in somewhere like Turkey, plus allegations/investigations elsewhere from time to time. Football is full of cheating, diving, play acting, bullying the officials. Players thinking they are more important than the club. Footballers are becoming the biggest celebrities in the UK.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To be honest LDC, there has been match fixing in football, as far as i''m aware just as many incidents in Italy as there have been in International cricket. Also think there was some match fixing problems in somewhere like Turkey, plus allegations/investigations elsewhere from time to time. Football is full of cheating, diving, play acting, bullying the officials. Players thinking they are more important than the club. Footballers are becoming the biggest celebrities in the UK.[/quote]

You''re right, GP.   Its endemic everywhere  these days in all sports - no doubt we''ll spend the summer hearing about olympic scandals. 

Cricket has always been a funny one with me.   Probably since the day when I took bat in a school games session only to find a ball coming straight towards my head  from an over enthusiastic bowler.    Decided then that cricket wasn''t for me.   Also too much time standing/sitting around not doing anything.  Even with golf, at least you are walking around thinking about your next shot.      No - its tennis for me this summer.     Clay season, grass season, US open.    Murray to win three grand slams in a row! Lots to look forward to......

3 Grand Slams in a row? One would be nice...

I reckon he''ll win a couple before he''s done, but Djorkie and Nadal are too good and too similar in age to him to allow him any more success than that, unless he really ups his game.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]3 Grand Slams in a row? One would be nice... I reckon he''ll win a couple before he''s done, but Djorkie and Nadal are too good and too similar in age to him to allow him any more success than that, unless he really ups his game.[/quote]

As ever, I''m the optomist.   Actually, its not impossible.  If he wins the French, it could give him the confidence to do the same at Wimbledon and if he does that why not the US as well?  I know its unlikely as if nothing else it would take too much out of him.  Not many win the French and Wimbledon in the same year.   I hope he does win one somewhere along the line - but theres alot of good young players coming through too..........

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]3 Grand Slams in a row? One would be nice... I reckon he''ll win a couple before he''s done, but Djorkie and Nadal are too good and too similar in age to him to allow him any more success than that, unless he really ups his game.[/quote]

As ever, I''m the optomist.   Actually, its not impossible.  If he wins the French, it could give him the confidence to do the same at Wimbledon and if he does that why not the US as well?  I know its unlikely as if nothing else it would take too much out of him.  Not many win the French and Wimbledon in the same year.   I hope he does win one somewhere along the line - but theres alot of good young players coming through too..........

[/quote]

Actually I''m hoping the Euros and the Olympics means at least we''ll be spared the annual "Could it be Murray''s year at Wimbledon ? - oh, he''s gone out tamely to one of the top 3" rigmarole.

Murray can probably beat Federer now. But I think the way the rankings go, means he''ll face either Nadal or Djorkie in the semi finals. And he won''t be able to beat both of them, unless Fed manages to beat the other in his semi final. Murray could probably beat Djorkie or Nadal and then Federer, but not Nadal then Djorkovic (or the other way around).

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To be honest LDC, there has been match fixing in football, as far as i''m aware just as many incidents in Italy as there have been in International cricket. Also think there was some match fixing problems in somewhere like Turkey, plus allegations/investigations elsewhere from time to time. Football is full of cheating, diving, play acting, bullying the officials. Players thinking they are more important than the club. Footballers are becoming the biggest celebrities in the UK.[/quote]....players from england have been imprisoned in the past for matchfixing. swann of shef.w.,can''t remmber the second ones name.

I''ll mostly be playing cricket on Saturdays (attempting to anyway and weather permitting)

Will also be watching ipl, euros, Olympics.. Plenty of things to do

Hoping that York win playoffs and rejoin the league too. Blackpool to beat West Ham too please..

Sorry to say there is so much sport on that I won''t miss Saturdays at 3.I am a tense supporter, very rarely enjoy games, until afterwards and then if we win, I am looking at our next game and how quickly we can get to our goal at the end of the season. Now I can enjoy Saturday''s reading rumours in the papers and message boards.

Personally I am very suspicious of people who think cricket is boring. Makes me question your judgment on everything else.

Well personally I am suspicious of people who question peoples judgement on everything based on them thinking a sport is boring....

Cricket isn''t exactly a thrilling sport is it? Fair enough if you like it, I do keep up with the England international scores, if only so I know what my Grandads talking about when he mentions the cricket. I''d probably watch 20/20 but not anything else, it takes too long. Even my Grandad, a life long cricket fan can only watch highlights.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] I''d probably watch 20/20 but not anything else, it takes too long. Even my Grandad, a life long cricket fan can only watch highlights.[/quote]

20/20 is cricket for people who don''t like cricket. It needs to be stopped right now.

I''m with Robert on this one. Anyone who finds a day in the sun (OK, a day in the drizzle) watching cricket with the occasional pint boring should have their passport revoked. It''s terribly un-British you know.

It takes too long? Your attention span is too short. That''s your problem, not cricket''s.

I''m joking. Just. But I really think it''s your loss, because you always come across as a very thoughtful poster. Cricket is one of the greatest achievements of human civilisation and I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who wasn''t immersed in it as a kid for the time it takes to really get it. Purple''s summary of it above (I''ve no idea how tongue in cheek that was) about sums it up for me.

Well maybe i''ll give it a chance then, I haven''t actually watched much cricket. But am (have always) put off slightly by the fact my Grandad constantly says how wonderful Cricket is, but all he will watch is the highlights these days.