Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

the devaluation of the fa cup

A lot had been said about our approach towards our game v leicester this season however yes that might have some impact in the fact the likes of Lambert wants to secure our safety first and understandably so. But why oh why is the the cup kicked off at 5.15 now on a sat when other games are being played ???? When I was a kid it was a MASSIVE event. Now its peanuts. It used to start at 9 am with ex player / legends ect and followed onto the game. As a fan I still feel its a great competition. But the young of today will feel different because of the coverage. Surely with sky being so massive they can do something with it? The biggest cup competition is now as good as the old milk cup. Please correct me if I''m.wrong...

Okay, it isn''t the event it once was. But that is mainly due to the fact that there was very little live football on tv in the past and so a live game was a huge event. Squads were smaller too, so squad rotation didn''t happen as much. I think it is still valued, it''s just the press and the public at large (no offence to you Gunny''s Hairline) that keep banging on about it being devalued that makes everyone believe it is. I think those at Wembley didn''t think that on Saturday, even if it was at 5.15!!

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]A lot had been said about our approach towards our game v leicester this season however yes that might have some impact in the fact the likes of Lambert wants to secure our safety first and understandably so. But why oh why is the the cup kicked off at 5.15 now on a sat when other games are being played ???? When I was a kid it was a MASSIVE event. Now its peanuts. It used to start at 9 am with ex player / legends ect and followed onto the game. As a fan I still feel its a great competition. But the young of today will feel different because of the coverage. Surely with sky being so massive they can do something with it? The biggest cup competition is now as good as the old milk cup. Please correct me if I''m.wrong...[/quote]
It kicked off at 17:15 at ITV''s/ESPN''s behest. They believed that a later kick off would mean more viewers, ITV now believed this is justified as their ratings received a significant boost at the later kick off. The championship had finished and the Premier League was delayed for a day (apart from the Norwich/Arsenal match which had to be played due to transport issues). It was also the only televised game on national TV, so it''s not as bad as you are suggesting.
Also, coverage starting at 9:00 for a 15:00 kick off? Christ, that''s six hours build up. I don''t think any match is worth that.   

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Sorry gareth but how.old are you? The build up is nothing like it used to be like . So sad[/quote]
That''s what I''m saying! The build up may be poor now but six hours of listening to people talk about a 90 minute match? No match is worth that.

"That''s what I''m saying! The build up may be poor now but six hours of listening to people talk about a 90 minute match? No match is worth that." So , so sad. Forget the premiership. This is the day when football died. When the fans started to think like this!

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]"That''s what I''m saying! The build up may be poor now but six hours of listening to people talk about a 90 minute match? No match is worth that." So , so sad. Forget the premiership. This is the day when football died. When the fans started to think like this![/quote]
You think the fact that I feel six hours is too long to watch some old ex-pros who think they know football is talk is the death of football? 
I actually like the FA cup,  but two hours build up is about as much as I can handle. I actually prefer watching the match, strangely enough!

The build up to the game was not just 6 hours of talking about the match , if my memory serves didnt they used to have special programs like Its a Knockout with the supporters of the teams competing against each other and Question of Sport with ex players of the two teams . Really used to be an all day occasion and it has gone downhill quite a bit since those days ,as somebody said above a live game in those days on tv was a very rare event .

[quote user="Ncfc"]The build up to the game was not just 6 hours of talking about the match , if my memory serves didnt they used to have special programs like Its a Knockout with the supporters of the teams competing against each other and Question of Sport with ex players of the two teams . Really used to be an all day occasion and it has gone downhill quite a bit since those days ,as somebody said above a live game in those days on tv was a very rare event .[/quote]
Well, in my opinion, stuff like this is irrelevant to what I want to see: a football match. I rarely watch any build up or analysis anyway as it all just seems pointless when I just want to see a game.
The real problem with the FA cup is that there is no significant reward apart from glory. Many teams would rather focus on winning the league or qualifying for Europe which earns them the most money. To really make the FA cup interesting they would have to remove the fourth place Champions League spot and make the qualifiers the FA cup winners, then a lot more clubs would take the competition seriously.

I think it is a mix of the two opinions on here. I suspect I am of the same era as BGH, as I used to treasure Cup Final day,with the long build up, different events as mentioned, leading up to what was considered by the football fan as the biggest day of the football calendar, bar non, the culmination of the football season. Now it is tucked away, whilst the Prem hasn''t finished, that tells it''s own story , with even the semis being staged there, another devaluing step, taking away the ''magic''.

Now, we have live football on a lot of the days of the week, and we are saturated with pundits, who 90% of the time are regurgatating the same old cliches and drivel, and I also do not listen to pre-match ramblings, unless a certain 1 or 2 people are in the studio (Gary Neville for one, who talks with a freshness, that the likes of Jamie Redknapp, never have).

I know, I sound like my parents, that ''things ain''t what they used to be'' ,and this particular change (FA Cup Final) has diluted the football experience, and the modern day football fan, hasn''t a clue about the ''old days'', but for me, this is one change, that should never have been diluted to what it is today. I guess for all you youngsters, it is a case of '' what you don''t see, you don''t miss''. Very sad all round. :( 

Simple really, it''s because of the amount of money in the Premier League.  Teams at the bottom are focussing on survival, relegation can be disastrous.  Teams at the top are focussing on the title, teams in the lower middle are focussing on finishing as highly as possible and those nearer the top are focussing on European qualification.

How much money do you get for winning the FA Cup?  What European places come with it?  The good old days of the Cup Winners Cup are long gone...................

[quote user="Gareth"]
The real problem with the FA cup is that there is no significant reward apart from glory.
[/quote]The trouble with the modern game summed up in a sentence.[*-)]For the fan what else is there but the glory???

I am 49, I remember the FA Cup being the climax of the season. Maybe it was because it came after the league issues had been decided and as said before it was one of the handful of games that we could see live on TV. The winners of the FA Cup qualified for the Cup-winners cup to play the winners of the cup competitions in Europe. I can also remember all of the build up on TV, on both channels.Tv rental companies always had a campaign to encourage people to rent a Colour set and seemed to be hard pressed to meet the demand. The papers would be full of it, in the week leading up to it and on the Sunday after it.It seemed that the streets emptied by 3pm as everyone seemed to watch the game.The following weekend brought us the Home Internationals and the following Saturday gave us England v Scotland live on TV.

This year we had the final being staged before the league issues being decided and at 5.15 to boot. Apart from the TV companies having their say in the timing, I believe that the Police had an input and possibly there were issues of public transport to consider. There is also the fact that the Champiuons league final will be staged next weekend and then  Euro 2012 in four weeks time, followed by the Olympics. The FA cup almost seems to be an unwelcome problem to fit in.

I wonder if it would be better to hold the FA Cup final as a curtain raiser to the new Football season and combine it with the Community Shield. ?. The players would be fresh and the fans would probably be desperate to watch any football live on TV. 

You talk about lack of coverage/build-up but didn''t ESPN do a 12 hour show or something, from like 8am-8pm for the final? If that isn''t build-up then I don''t know what is!

ESPN aka Liverpool tv. We have been on that. Channel twice this season home and away against yes you guessed it Liverpool. I''m talking about BBC . Why can''t we have the fa cup back to 3 pm and a long build up on the BBC all day? It''s so sad this greatest cup competition in the world has died

I''m 20 and I can remember the big build up. I always used to look forward to the FA Cup final no matter who was playing. I used to watch the whole program where they started at the team hotel and followed the team buses on route to Wembley (sounds boring but all part of the occasion). BBC used to do it so much better than ITV do now.

It would be good if a bigger build up was available, even if it was something like an interactive feature that links into the main program closer to kick off. I think the option BBC give for alternate commentaries is also a good idea.

A supporters match with highlights before the main event would be a bit of light hearted fun in the build up as would visiting both cities/towns of the finalists. I do think it has taken a bit of a backseat to the Premier League now as they used to change the whole footballing weekend for this game and now they even have games on the same day.

Yes it has been devalued. How many great FA Cup Final games do you remember in recent years? With the rare exception to the rule they just don''t happen anymore.

[quote user="Lammy"]Yes it has been devalued. How many great FA Cup Final games do you remember in recent years? With the rare exception to the rule they just don''t happen anymore.[/quote]It''s not the same anymore and it''s pretty much passed unnoticed again this year. The fact that it isn''t played after the end of the league season now says it all.It''s a real shame.... and well done again the Football Association.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]ESPN aka Liverpool tv. We have been on that. Channel twice this season home and away against yes you guessed it Liverpool. I''m talking about BBC . Why can''t we have the fa cup back to 3 pm and a long build up on the BBC all day? It''s so sad this greatest cup competition in the world has died[/quote]
The BBC didn''t put in a bid for the right to host FA cup matches, ITV/ESPN did. The complaints you''re raising are more to do with the modern game which means a very old competition, like the FA cup, is always going to struggle. The FA Cup was established in the 1890''s and since then the only real change to the format has been the removal of replays. A significant reward needs to be offered for most teams to take it seriously. If the second placed team got Europa League football and the winners got Champions League, then so many more clubs would take the competition seriously.