Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Next Aston Villa manager - Paul Lambert 3/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/aston-villa-specials/next-permanent-manager

Getting shorter and shorted odds, let''s hope he''s not thinking of his good friend Petrov too much.

He won''t go to Villa. When he eventually does go, it will be to bigger and better things than them.

Certainly didn''t sound like he was going anywhere in his interview last night with McVeigh and Butler.

Sadly it is entirely possible that Petrov has played his last game of professional football.

Obviously time will tell but he turns 33 in two months. It could take a long time to beat his illness and then to get back the strength to get back into the game. It may just not happen. At the very least he won''t play next season I shouldn''t imagine

So I doubt very much that Lambert joining Villa to manage him will come into it greatly.

What I will say about bookies odds are that they are often a reaction to what a lot of punters are doing. For instance back in January clearly someone put decent money on us signing Jordan Rhodes and his odds to join us before the deadline plummeted to below evens. Were we interested? Was there a bid? Who knows, but the key thing is it didnt happen despite the odds suggesting it was a virtual certainty. The other issue depends on how big the "next Villa manager market" is. If there hasnt been that much money staked on it then it wouldnt take much money to be placed on a certain candidate for their odds to shift pretty dramatically.

I cannot see a top 6 side taking him on on the strength of 3 or 4 good seasons with Norwich and its the Villa''s and Everton''s that we really need to be fearful of . If we do lose him this summer i think it will be down to the budget , his hands do seem to be tied when it comes to the players he can afford , i thought we would look abroad this summer but Lambert has come out and said that that market is too pricy for us , as are proven Premiership players , that really does not leave him with many options and its like asking him to bring off a miracle season after season.Time to find that wealthy owner if we really want to become an established Premiership club , otherwise its only a matter of time before we lose our manager and our top flight status .

I think Lambert''s ''move'' to Villa is too close to call. I don''t think any Canary fan can honestly say that it definitely won''t happen, we just hope that it won''t.

I''d be very surprised if there hasn''t been some form of discussions between Lambert & Villa and maybe NCFC and let''s face it, Lambert''s best way of getting any doubters onside at Villa Park is giving them a right good humping!

The next week or two will prove very interesting...

I think Chris Hughton is far more likey to end up at Villa than Lambert. If Lambert does go then we should go for Poyet or Hughton as his replacement.

[quote user="basil brush"]I think Lambert''s ''move'' to Villa is too close to call. I don''t think any Canary fan can honestly say that it definitely won''t happen, we just hope that it won''t. I''d be very surprised if there hasn''t been some form of discussions between Lambert & Villa and maybe NCFC and let''s face it, Lambert''s best way of getting any doubters onside at Villa Park is giving them a right good humping! The next week or two will prove very interesting...[/quote]

Why?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="basil brush"]I think Lambert''s ''move'' to Villa is too close to call. I don''t think any Canary fan can honestly say that it definitely won''t happen, we just hope that it won''t. I''d be very surprised if there hasn''t been some form of discussions between Lambert & Villa and maybe NCFC and let''s face it, Lambert''s best way of getting any doubters onside at Villa Park is giving them a right good humping! The next week or two will prove very interesting...[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]

That''s what happens. For example, somebody ''representing'' AVFC would sound out Lambert, though not necessarily offering the job there and then.

Managers and players get tapped up all the time and Villa are no different to any other club. I''m sure McNally would expect Lambert to let him know if any discussions had taken place, official or otherwise. My money is on some form of contact has happened, with a more formal approach from next week - if the vacancy does arise.

Norwich could be sounding out somebody themselves as we speak, because any decent chief executive - and we have a decent one - would be looking for the next manager even before the current one has gone. Just incase...

[quote user="Ncfc"]I cannot see a top 6 side taking him on on the strength of 3 or 4 good seasons with Norwich and its the Villa''s and Everton''s that we really need to be fearful of . If we do lose him this summer i think it will be down to the budget , his hands do seem to be tied when it comes to the players he can afford , i thought we would look abroad this summer but Lambert has come out and said that that market is too pricy for us , as are proven Premiership players , that really does not leave him with many options and its like asking him to bring off a miracle season after season.Time to find that wealthy owner if we really want to become an established Premiership club , otherwise its only a matter of time before we lose our manager and our top flight status .[/quote]Like he''d go to Everton who are poorer than church mouse.

If anyone follows McNally on Twitter they''ll no doubt have noticed his retweeting session with answers from his question "Saturdays without football are like..."

He retweeted several people who answered "NCFC without Lambert", he even retweeted one that finished with "PLEASE DON''T LET HIM GO TO VILLA".

I hardly think he''d have retweeted those if Lambert''s bags were already packed.

I would imagine that Villa would be one of the last places he would go after the way the man he most respects in football was treated there. As O''Neill left them I can''t see Lambert joining them.

Had we struggled this season I think Villa might have been ideal career move for PL. But we haven’t – and he and his team seem happy here. Mind you, today provides an ideal chance for representatives of the Midlands club to make rather comfortable contact with PL doesn’t it? The place will be swarming with execs with a claret and blue bias.

PL came to Carrow Road with Colchester, did well and 3 weeks later got the main job here, so I can’t deny that a time-frame of ‘win the game, tap-up, interview, appoint’ comes into my reckoning!...

Providing PL is given at least a sporting chance with his 2012/13 £ transfer budget I still don’t think he’ll go anywhere in a hurry though.

Well, let''s hope we don''t beat Villa 7-1 today or the writings on the wall [:D]

I agree Villa normally would be a logical move but if you dont have 30£ million to sort out the team its a no go.

If the owner of Villa agrees to spend this or more then I can see lambert going.

However there is no point going to Villa and not having money to spend as you will just have problems with the existing squad and then get sacked

Villa are a bigger club than us but in reality without massive investment the chances of them breaking in to the top 6 aren''t that much better than us. I would have thought Lambert would be far better off hanging around for another 2 or 3 years until a proper big club with the resources to match come calling.

If Lambert goes to manage that lot, he must either be offered silly money or have lost any common sense. They have relegation written all over them for next season. You would need £30million+ to turn them round.

Lambert is an very tactical minded guy, he wont come out and say im here for next season for obvious reasons as he hasn''t the last 2. He wants more money to spend during the summer.

If he wants or needs more money to spend then he wont say he''s here for next season as no doubt the conversation with the board will be along the lines of this:

LAMBERT: I want more money to spend to improve our team

BOARD:You know we have very limited funds and can''t offer you millions we don''t have.

LAMBERT: we''ll i want money if you want me to remain here then give me money to spend

BOARD: We want you to be here so we can offer you 4 million extra

LAMBERT: thanks thats a start but i was looking more 10-12 million extra

BOARD: ok we''ll see what we can do for you over the comming week

LAMBERT: ok thanks

Is there a money tree in Delia''s garden?

McNally will not gamble the future of the club for a bumper transfer budget, and rightly so. I don''t think St. Paul would ask him to either.