Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Who was in Cardiff 10 years ago today?

To be fair until we lost it was a great day out.

But what a contrast to now. I still can''t believe it was 10 years time flys

We blew it big time that day, Burmynam weren''t brilliant  but i thought that the occasion( Big stadium, 75,000 fans etc) got to some of the players and they froze a bit , especially in the first 10 mins of the game, until Holt''s (Gary) brilliant run through the middle where it ended up on a plate for Easton.After that the game sort of ebbed and flowed.Rivers was doing all right until Grainger growled at him then he went into his shell.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/350juyg.jpg[/IMG]Fantastic day out - and a fantastic run in to get there.  Haven''t been as drunk since as I was the night we played Wolves away in the Semis!!!

The reason we lost it was because we started kicking the bloody thing towards the corner flag as soon as Iwan put us in front.

That, and I don''t think we''d scored from the spot all season.

Can''t believe it was 10 years ago. Was a damn long drive home afterwards.

Went down with a mate, great day out barring the result. Iwan''s goal is still one of my favourite footballing moments. Had green and yellow hair as well!

I''m still paying for that couple of days! I didn''t book a hotel and the only room left was the honeymoon suite in the st davids lodge (were Chelsea stayed the week before)...and the next night I ended up at the wake (promotion party) back at the celtic manors and those rooms weren''t cheap either. Still at least I got to meet most of the team...Zema abbey''s suit was a "classic"? Clint Easton was as daft as he played, Bellers (who was with the team) was the nicest one out of the lot, and Drewe Broughton, was an absolute bell he was!

My pal still claims that was the night he convinced Phil Mulryne to stay with us...granted he did corner him and bend his ear for ages!

It can''t be 10 years ago? Man I feel old. I remember a few things rom that day. Iwan''s goal was an incredible moment. Until the Derby game I never thought I would get close to replicating that 1 isolated moment of pure ectastsy following Norwich. My old man always saying to me during the 3 season prior to that "we will never win a promotion with Daryl Sutch in the team" and I remembered that phrase with absolute horror when he came on. To be fair it wasn''t Sutch''s fault, it was a very negative decision by Worthy to try and shut up shop for most of extra time. We were always going to invite a shedload of pressure and I just remember Horsfield, Green and the ball all ending up in the back of the net and it counting. Looking back that game probably explained in microcosm why Nigel was just a very good Norwich manager rather than a great one. I stayed at the end because obviously you wanted to acknowledge the amazing effort the team put in. But I think we all assumed that the players had to pick up some kind of runners up award (which they didnt) so as a result everyone sort of hung around watching Birmingham celebrate including the players. Which was bloody painful.

Remember queuing half way round Carrow Road for tickets at 5 in the morning, didn''t get them until 11.

Was on one of the trains that looked for a time, that we wouldn''t get out of Liverpool Street! An amazing atmosphere with the roof closed, and what a sight to see the Norwich ''end'', brilliant. Didn''t hang around to see the Birmingham presentation, too sick, and although taped the game, have never watched it, too depressing. 10 years? Jees......

10 years! Can''t believe that. Great day that was. The Play off Final was on normal TV then and recorded it on VHS, might have to watch it again soon. The atmosphere on there was incredible with the roof shut and the noise when we scored first was incredible?

How does everyone think that squad would have got on in the prem had we won that game?

Wow, ten years ago. Do the pictures above look hazy just because of the photo quality? I''m sure I can remember sun bathing around the castle before kick off! A shame about the final result, but great atmosphere and a great day out, especially as I was only 11 at the time - it was the first ''big game'' I''d ever seen us in.

Was a great occasion, just wish it was golden goal! I was a student in Guildford but my grandad queued for hours for me to get myself and a mate a ticket. I had an old Toyota Corolla with a sticking back brake, but made it down the M4 with a few stops to let the glowing blocks cool down!

Cant believe that was 10 years ago either, what really sticks in my mind was the atmosphere, it was amazing. I had been to see Wales play a few times at the millenium but the atmosphere for the play off was far better than for the rugby. An amazing stadium, not been to new Wembly but would be interested to know how it compares. 

Stayed in Port Talbot for a couple of days with wife and kids. Very hot day - never forget the feeling when Iwans header went in, absolute pandemonium. Couldn''t watch the penalties, never forget that sickening feeling leaving the stadium afterwards. In spite of that one of them days I''m glad to say I was there.

Its the bigmanIts the Welsh manIn CardiffFor Delia and the BossNorwich stare at the PremiershipGreat day out, most awful feeling, couldnt get out of the ground in time and had to endure watching them pick up their trophy!I always remember making a very negitive subsitution after we took the lead, Sutch came on we invited pressure, the equaliser was invitable.Still hate Darren Carter

Great day other than the result, Scary to think of all the changes that has happened at the club in those years since! 3 promotions, 2 relegations, managerial and boardroom overhauls, so many ups and downs!

I was at university in Bournemouth at the time

I remember I kept calling the box office and it kept saying there were too many people on the line and hung up.

Eventually I got through must have cost me a fortune but my then flat mate also a city fan who was also trying was able to buy on the same call.

On the day of the game I drove thru sailsbury, bath etc and picked up the M4 not far from the Severn bridge where it was a sea of green and yellow.

The atmosphere in Cardiff was fantastic just a shame about the result. Also a shame it virtually finished Daryl Sutch''s career who was a genuine nice guy

WOW you''ll never guess what just happened, it''s one of those spooky coincidences.  Carry on Cruising is on TV and to the absolute split second, just as I read, ''Who was in Cardiff... Kenneth Williams said, ''10 years ago today''. It''s a sign! but what?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The reason we lost it was because we started kicking the bloody thing towards the corner flag as soon as Iwan put us in front. That, and I don''t think we''d scored from the spot all season. Can''t believe it was 10 years ago. Was a damn long drive home afterwards.[/quote]

You said it.  Still, was a great day out.

Just remember the drive from where I was living at the time, pulling on to the M4 and seeeing the travelling fans. Cars, coaches - green and yellow everywhere.    Called in at a relative at Newport, got the train from there and then got on a coach to the ground - a 53 seater - with 52 Birmingham fans.  Actually they were great, but the overall atomosphere at the ground was just fantastic.   A cup final atomosphere and a climax to match.  

But we didn''t have the bottle to finish it once ahead.   A step too far.   I think we all sensed what was going to happen as soon as it went to penalties. 

Still, a great day out - and maybe spurred us on for the following season.   And that goal........................

About 12 of us went up in a mini bus, stayed in hotel, went out that night and got pi**ed as a rat, The next day carried on drinking, great atmosphere, when walked into Millenium Stadium it was great seeing all those fans, sat not to far behind the goal, remember some racsit City fans behind us, and also when the final whistle went, a guy ran on the pitch and planted a Norwich Flag in the ground, Also Brum fans giving it plenty on the way home!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

About 12 of us went up in a mini bus, stayed in hotel, went out that night and got pi**ed as a rat, The next day carried on drinking, great atmosphere, when walked into Millenium Stadium it was great seeing all those fans, sat not to far behind the goal, remember some racsit City fans behind us, and also when the final whistle went, a guy ran on the pitch and planted a Norwich Flag in the ground, Also Brum fans giving it plenty on the way home!!

[/quote]What I remember was a young woman ran on the pitch and gave Malky a flippin'' big hug.

The atmosphere with the roof closed was fantastic and apart from the awful girly group (?) the pre match stuff was brilliant.

We deserved to be ahead but then Worthy had one of his moments on came Sutch not exactly my favourite player, they scored within seconds of the substitution and we never looked the same.

Finally dear old Sutchinio attempted a penalty kick and I slumped back in my seat.

Overall a great day but tempered by sutch (!) disappointment.

I remember a Radio Norfolk presenter trying to get a half asleep line of fans queing for Club Cabbage to sing OTBC at 5am. Didnt get far.It was a bit of a bizzare afternoon as I was in one seat and my dad and brother were in a totally different area. The big guy next to me nearly crushed me when we scored and then could not look at the penalties.

Didn''t enjoy it at all.Nearly had heart attack when we went in front.Knew we''d lost it when it went to pensBloody train broke down on way back