Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Would you be pissed with Lambert if he went to Villa

Sorry, i''m not one for starting another Lambert is leaving thread, but the quote pete has put up from the post match press conference is worrying and got me wondering how i would feel about him if he left. He has achieved great success with city and for that every fan will be grateful, but i still think i would be annoyed with Lambert if he left to go to Villa, a team struggling in the last few seasons, seem to be problems with the relationship between managers and owners and lack of money being spent on players recently. While also leaving behind a club which is on the rise, great plans for the near future and a young hungry squad which the board are willing to do what they can to strengthen. I have to say it would be one hell of a kick in the teeth if he left and i think it would leave a sore spot for Lambert despite what he has done for us, it just doesn''t seem like the time is right, but i guess Colchester fans felt the same!I have to say though, from the comments on here it seems like most fans would thanks him for what he has done and wish him well, so perhaps i am in a minority with my opinion if he was to leave.What say you?

[quote user="priceyrice"]i would be annoyed with Lambert if he left to go to Villa, a team struggling in the last few seasons,[/quote]As you alluded to later in the post, I am sure Colchester fans thought the same...I would wish him well. Would be very disappointed, but I dont see how you can be pissed at a manager who has rebuilt our club. And lets be honest, fans turn on manager so quickly he cant be blamed for looking to go out at the best possible time, when his stock is at its highest?

I would go crazy, I wouldn''t wish him any success ever again. He still has a job to do next year, which is keeping us up again an can be done under him, but with someone else I''n not so sure. After that I wouldn''t be as angry. As long as we have him here then we are an established team, people from the outside wont think that, but I know what he has done and can do.

I would hold no grudges against Lambert for anything. He has earnt the right to do whatever he wants.

If he does go I would be worried as LOTS of players will go with him (or want to and eventually be let go). Tierney, Fox, Martin. Others like Howson and R Bennet he will have to pay City a premium for but still go out to buy them.

Either way he has done a colossal job for Norwich in every aspect. If players do end up going with him then Norwich will still cash in on them and won''t let them go for a low price.

I don''t think he will go. Definitely not to Villa, remember O''Neil left there because of the way it was being run. I''m sure Lambert will want to speak to him about that before he goes there.

I would thank him for saving my club and wish him well, I think it would be selling himself short but nether the less his achievements in the last three years are unquestionable! 

I will wish him the best wherever he goes after us. I think he''d be stupid to go to Villa, but if he thinks they can give him more success than us, then good luck to him. I don''t think he will go there though.

The most recent interview just sounds like his usual keeping quiet over his future to get more money from Delia and co to spend over the summer.

I''d be very disappointed if he did go to Villa, I know he wants to win things but he''s still a relatively young guy so there''s plenty of time for him. I''m sure if he''s patient there''ll be a far bigger job than Villa come up that he will be in the frame for.  Imo he could give us another couple of years without it hampering his career one bit.

[quote user="Aggy"]I will wish him the best wherever he goes after us. I think he''d be stupid to go to Villa, but if he thinks they can give him more success than us, then good luck to him. I don''t think he will go there though.

The most recent interview just sounds like his usual keeping quiet over his future to get more money from Delia and co to spend over the summer.[/quote]

Agree with your second paragraph Aggy, but I''m worried he might see Villa as the perfect move. A big club, currently underperforming, but with good fan base and real potentiak to move forward with the right management. In fact exactly the situation we were in when he joined us...

after what I saw of Villa today yes I would!!!! It would be a backward step IMO, but as my Mrs has just said, maybe he would see it as a similar challenge to what he took on here!!

Would feel the same if he went to villa as how I was feeling during all the rumours around him and burnley.

Not a big enough step up (in terms of overall current situation) imo to leave.

OK, they didn''t do very well at all this season, but it wasn''t that long ago that Villa were finishing in the top third of the table on a regular basis. They''d offer him more money and the opportunity for bigger-name signings. I think it would be a good step-up for him - he''s unlikely to be offered a bigger club in this country at this stage of his career.

Having said all that, I would much rather he stayed with us!

Since this has to be up for debate - Yes I''d be pissed off. Villa wouldn''t deserve Lambert, they''re not a "Bigger" club, the fans and the directors - chairman and all treat their managers like sh!t.

I''d feel ever so slightly better if he had to go then he went to a decent club in Europe and eventually ended up at Man U.

Better to have loved and lost...........I wish him well wherever he is next season as he would have left this club in a place none of us could have imagined just three years ago.

I''d be gutted. But, like Mr Cluckson says, it''s been a privilege to watch his team for three years. I''m just pleased that I''ve been there as I''m sure Mr Cluckson and countless others on here are.

To have missed the last three seasons, well, as a City fan it would have been heartbreaking. We never had it so good.

[quote user="Ruddygore"]Since this has to be up for debate - Yes I''d be pissed off. Villa wouldn''t deserve Lambert, they''re not a "Bigger" club, the fans and the directors - chairman and all treat their managers like sh!t.

I''d feel ever so slightly better if he had to go then he went to a decent club in Europe and eventually ended up at Man U.[/quote]

I think people aren''t being realistic. If you''re saying Villa aren''t a "bigger" club then I don''t know what on earth they are. They''ve been awful this season, granted, but that is partly because they are shifting out higher wage earners whilst bedding in their youngsters. They finished ninth the season before this and were top six three years on the bounce before that...and even then their fans weren''t happy. Why weren''t they happy? They''ve a histroy that is very, very long and full of loads of major honours. Getting them into the top four and winning trophies again is a huge challenge that any manager would surely be tempted by it?

Check their history out on Wiki and you''ll find it''s one of England''s major jobs - Villa were a huge club long before Man Utd started buying trophies. If Lerner is back in the mood to sanction spending any manager would want the job....if he is still in cutting back mode it would still be hugely temping to the likes of Lambert. Lambert has been visiting his good friend Stan Petrov over the past week...I''m pretty sure Stan will have been telling him all about Villa, its history and potential. We will have to wait and see, I suppose....

[quote user="Ruddygore"]Since this has to be up for debate - Yes I''d be pissed off. Villa wouldn''t deserve Lambert, they''re not a "Bigger" club, the fans and the directors - chairman and all treat their managers like sh!t.

I''d feel ever so slightly better if he had to go then he went to a decent club in Europe and eventually ended up at Man U.[/quote]

I think people aren''t being realistic. If you''re saying Villa aren''t a "bigger" club then I don''t know what on earth they are. They''ve been awful this season, granted, but that is partly because they are shifting out higher wage earners whilst bedding in their youngsters. They finished ninth the season before this and were top six three years on the bounce before that...and even then their fans weren''t happy. Why weren''t they happy? They''ve a histroy that is very, very long and full of loads of major honours. Getting them into the top four and winning trophies again is a huge challenge that any manager would surely be tempted by it?

Check their history out on Wiki and you''ll find it''s one of England''s major jobs - Villa were a huge club long before Man Utd started buying trophies. If Lerner is back in the mood to sanction spending any manager would want the job....if he is still in cutting back mode it would still be hugely temping to the likes of Lambert. Lambert has been visiting his good friend Stan Petrov over the past week...I''m pretty sure Stan will have been telling him all about Villa, its history and potential. We will have to wait and see, I suppose....

Unless we upped his wages I think Lambert leaving would be sensible for him.He has proven he can take an underachieving  club ( us when he first joined us ) & made them overachievers ( us now .... we still have players that were playing league one in our first 11 ) If anyone can''t see that that you need to get a second opinion. Now take Villa who a only a couple of seasons back were pushing for Champions league football now lying near the foot of the table after a year of underachieving. With a squad of talent, a wage bill to attract established premiership players & heritage to boot how is this not a plausible step forward in Lambert''s career ? If Villa were to offer him higher wages and a mediocre  player budget then I would back him to finish higher at Villa than he can with us next season. Villa are playing no where near their potential & Lambert with Norwich has proved he can get the most out of players & a team who have gone on a slump with the previous manager. Making Villa a top half team again is an easier job than making League 1 Norwich a Premiership outfit.I have no idea if the rumors are  true but you must admit it the Villa job has great potential & requires less work than ours if Lambert has top 8 ambitions.That said I hope Lambert stays, the board increase his wages & give a hefty transfer budget. Will that happen ? no idea. Will I blame Lambert if he leaves ? no.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I bet the Villa fans persuaded him today if his mind wasn''t already made up.[/quote]

Sorry if I have taken this the wrong way NBS, but I hope you are being ironic with this post.

If I was Paul Lambert I wouldn''t touch Villa with a barge pole, after their fans chants yesterday. Dissing (polite word!) their own manager, openly coveting the opposition manager, it absolutely stinks. What sort of potential environment is that to work in, if the slightest thing goes wrong (because it sure will, at some stage)? I am sure they are peeved, but there are other ways of enticing managers, perhaps they were being ironic themselves, and in fact, have been coveting every opposition manager fom the last few months?

How can you go to a Club where the fans boo their own manager for just getting out of the dugout!!

What is it with you people, as PL has openly stated he is contracted to NCFC, a contract that he signed after promotion to the promised land , and a very good one at that courtesy of McNALLY and the board recognising just what their manager is capable of. Whilst McNALLY is at this club, I do not believe PL will go anywhere. Why so many of you feed of every word that he does or does not say is beyond me - he has not said he is leaving, or wants to leave, he came here and bought into a seven year plan dudn''t he? The grass is not always greener on the other side, and success does not become an automatic right just because you are with a ''bigger'' club, and PL recognises that himself - otherwise he would have left for Celtic hen they came calling before they appointed Lennon. Please stop doom mongering and enjoy what we have for God''s sake

wouldn''t be pissed with Lambert ...I''d just be pissed [:@]

This guy could take us anywhere with the right backing.

He is the best all round manager I''ve witnessed in my time watching NCFC, and I''d really miss the unity he''s brought to the club and flexibility of how he sets us up to have a go at the oppostion.

If we do lose God, I''d love Ian Culverhouse to stay and be able to step out from the shadows and preach the good word

...only No.2''s don''t always make that transition successfully.

Crabby, I got the impression NBS meant more that they had made Lambert''s mind up not to go!

As I said earlier, at the moment, he would probably be silly to go to Villa. Look where they are compared to us, and look at the feeling in the club around them and compare that to the feeling in the club here.

However, my one slight (very slight) worry is that he does the same thing as he did when he joined us, but with Villa. Ie; he goes into a club who seem in almost terminal decline, he turns them round, and lives off the euphoric wave he creates to drive them to just about the top of their game. Now, given Lambert''s record of swapping clubs when he seems to have taken them as far as they can go and jumping ship to someone in a similar position but who have more potential, then Villa may well seem like an attractive proposal.

It''s all a bit pointless speculating though, because ultimately it''ll come down to the answer Lambert gets when he asks how much money he''ll get to spend. If Villa don''t offer significantly more than us, then the balance of club-in-decline to financial-potential-to-turn-it-around ratio may well make him stay here, and vice versa.

there is one thing it seems that everyone is overlooking. Martin O''Neill. i''m sure PL would contact him before makinga decision on going to villa and the response would likely be "don''t touch it with a barge pole". MO''N was well set there but it all went wrong between him and the board, and PL respects him immensely so anything he has to say would be significant.

No way.Villa are a bigger club, with more resources, would pay him more money, and surely anyone with no prior connection to the club (which Lambert hasn''t) would make the move?He has worked wonders with us and if he moves to a bigger club we can''t really blame him for wanting to further his career, can we?

[quote user="star_manic"]there is one thing it seems that everyone is overlooking. Martin O''Neill. i''m sure PL would contact him before makinga decision on going to villa and the response would likely be "don''t touch it with a barge pole". MO''N was well set there but it all went wrong between him and the board, and PL respects him immensely so anything he has to say would be significant.[/quote]Wouldn''t he have offered the same advice about joining City then? After all.... O''Neill didn''t have a very happy time here before stomping off in a hissy fit.PL is his own man and will make his own life choices. AV is the perfect stage for him to take an ''unfashionable'' club and make it successful... rather like he has at Carrow Road.It would be the challenge rather than the money which would make him take the job.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="star_manic"]there is one thing it seems that everyone is overlooking. Martin O''Neill. i''m sure PL would contact him before makinga decision on going to villa and the response would likely be "don''t touch it with a barge pole". MO''N was well set there but it all went wrong between him and the board, and PL respects him immensely so anything he has to say would be significant.[/quote]Wouldn''t he have offered the same advice about joining City then? After all.... O''Neill didn''t have a very happy time here before stomping off in a hissy fit.PL is his own man and will make his own life choices. AV is the perfect stage for him to take an ''unfashionable'' club and make it successful... rather like he has at Carrow Road.It would be the challenge rather than the money which would make him take the job.[/quote]Totally different eras and personnel.But I agree with your point that he is his own man and would more than likely take the job, and as I said before, I wouldn''t blame him.