Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Player of the Season

Well done HoltyUnlucky RuddyFox in third... some fans saw a different season to me? The guy doesn''t run at people, he doesn''t score goals, he passes a majority of his percentage passes sideways or backwards, i will be surprised to see him making a starting eleven next season?

Fox has been class ever since his arrival. Yes he''s a limited player, but he''s been terrific. Obviously the top 2 was a give, but 3rd could have gone to Fox, Martin, Pilkington, Hoolahan, so many players.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Fox has been class ever since his arrival. Yes he''s a limited player, but he''s been terrific. Obviously the top 2 was a give, but 3rd could have gone to Fox, Martin, Pilkington, Hoolahan, so many players.[/quote]Its a fair comment ''Jimmy'', maybe i''m being a little harsh, but i thought many more players were more deserving, i would have given Howson the nod over Fox for his half a season though.

Howson hasn''t even had half a season though has he, came in in January and missed the first month or two through injury. He''s only really been at the top of his game for a couple of months. Fox was often the difference at the start of the season, it was his passing that made us tick.

Other than Ruddy and Holt, I don''t think there is anyone who you can say is massively more deserving than anyone else really.

Would have been Ruddy for me. He''s been immense. As much as I''d like to see Holt in the England Squad, Ruddy''s absence puzzles me even more.

Chippy Crook didnt run at people or score goals (apart from the odd free kick).  His job was to pick a pass when possible but mainly keep the ball alive and maintain posession.  He was a class act and Fox is the closest I''ve seen to Ian in a Yellow shirt since.  I was surprised but elated to hear about his 3rd place.  It means that the majority of Norwich fans seem to actually know something about football unlike a large proportion of the contributors on this board - you know who you are.......actually you probably don''t!

Football has come along way since the Chippy days Muddy Funster (the self acclaimed expert), players today in the Premier League need more than one ability in their arsenal!

Third place vote, or those that didn''t go for the top two would have been evenly spread.For me no question Kyle Naughton should have been considered, Russell Martin I would put behind Kyle Naughton. But Fox... shocked when his name was mentioned. I do think his position is very under threat for next season. Howson is a starter in the middle and we need that hard tackling stronger, engine in the middle of the park.I def. think the boy has done exceptionally well, valued at 25k when he arrived he was a good controller of the pace of our attack and composed in League 1, Championship football again he steadied the midfield without standing out and saying I am one of the best midfielders in this division. This season, bit part player and one that although is pretty tidy I would agree with the original poster not one that I thought would be considered in the top 3.Think if he has the year option I would keep him, but beyond that I do think we can look beyond Fox. I do not think many Championship teams would think he would come in and help them push for play-off places by steadying their teams.But again maybe harsh on a guy that has done exceptionally well. But personally I just think his position is under threat and he will be a squad player at most next season. If he wasn''t offered the yr option or a new contract I would not be surprised as we look to move forward, if he was offered a new contract I would not be surprised. It all depends on who we can bring in on transfers and how far these players are capable of going. He is not alone in this - some players are a victim of the clubs success the club, that is to be expected.

Not an expert, just my opinion. And whilst I do agree that football has changed since Crooks days, a player with his attributes is just as important now as he was then.  If anything, he was ahead of his time.  Look at the best teams in the World and they will almost all contain a player with the ability to link the play and to steady the ship.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Football has come along way since the Chippy days Muddy Funster (the self acclaimed expert), players today in the Premier League need more than one ability in their arsenal![/quote]

Yeah. They need to be able to "run at people" !

I wish the club would tell us the numbers.  Guessing that Ruddy & Holt were way ahead, third spot There couldn''t''ve been much in it.

I cant believe i''m reading this about Fox, he''s been immense all season. Prior to the Spurs game he was one of the first names on the team sheet, Johnson couldn''t get a look in. Some people have short memories.

On a plus note, isn''t it nice to be arguing over the player of the season results.

I''m sure someone posted stats on here a while ago (so they may have changed, TBF) to show how many extra games we won with Fox in the side.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''m sure someone posted stats on here a while ago (so they may have changed, TBF) to show how many extra games we won with Fox in the side.[/quote]

That can''t be true, I didn''t see him go on one mazy run so clearly he can''t have been an integral part of winning games!

FAO Canaries UTD please read this article on the Fox style of midfielder and then come back and try and argue your point again, yes fox is not the box to box midfielder you describe, but then again he doesn''t need to be as long as he plays in a balanced team.http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/24/how-the-2000s-changed-tactics-1-the-fall-and-rise-of-the-passing-midfielder/

I was delighted to see him in 3rd. His is the sort of contribution that can sometimes get overlooked so it was nice to see him get some recognition.

For Fox to get 3rd place he obviously has a very fond following. But from where I sit in my seasoned seat at Carrow Road, and all bar a few away games this season I have not seen Fox the 3rd best player playing for Norwich this season! No doubting he has a good delivery (on most occasions), but as said, from what I have witnessed a high percentage of his passes are sideways or backwards. He doesn''t appear to get stuck in, he doesn''t run with the ball and he doesn''t score goals!!! He is a squad player at best in the Premiership, for all you Foxy lovers don''t expect to see him a great deal next season.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]For Fox to get 3rd place he obviously has a very fond following. But from where I sit in my seasoned seat at Carrow Road, and all bar a few away games this season I have not seen Fox the 3rd best player playing for Norwich this season! No doubting he has a good delivery (on most occasions), but as said, from what I have witnessed a high percentage of his passes are sideways or backwards. He doesn''t appear to get stuck in, he doesn''t run with the ball and he doesn''t score goals!!! He is a squad player at best in the Premiership, for all you Foxy lovers don''t expect to see him a great deal next season.[/quote]
And that''s all that matters, right?
Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta and Guardeiola would disagree. 

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Those players Gareth are in a different league, in more ways than one!![/quote]
I never said Fox was anywhere near as good as the players I mentioned, but their style of play (esp. Xavi and Guardiola in his playing days) are incredibly similar to Fox''s. Keep the ball, always make yourself available to the pass, and always be on the look out for the pass to the player in space. Guardiola''s entire career was based of his passing ability, positioning and football intelligence. Fox passes the ball backwards because there is no point in forcing the pass and he passes the ball sideways to stretch the play. Fox can best be described as a point of reference, he receives the ball and passes it to more attacking players (Surman, Bennett, Pilkington etc.) the attacking players then know that Fox will find space and can receive the ball at any time and quickly give it to another attacking player to keep up the speed of the game and he will make that pass regardless of whether he has to go forward, backwards or sideways. Players like Fox are incredibly important as it allows attacking players to be more fluid in their movement as they know that the deep-lying Fox can pick them out and take the ball off them when they are under pressure yet keep the speed of the attack consistent.   

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Those players Gareth are in a different league, in more ways than one!![/quote]
I never said Fox was anywhere near as good as the players I mentioned, but their style of play (esp. Xavi and Guardiola in his playing days) are incredibly similar to Fox''s. Keep the ball, always make yourself available to the pass, and always be on the look out for the pass to the player in space. Guardiola''s entire career was based of his passing ability, positioning and football intelligence. Fox passes the ball backwards because there is no point in forcing the pass and he passes the ball sideways to stretch the play. Fox can best be described as a point of reference, he receives the ball and passes it to more attacking players (Surman, Bennett, Pilkington etc.) the attacking players then know that Fox will find space and can receive the ball at any time and quickly give it to another attacking player to keep up the speed of the game and he will make that pass regardless of whether he has to go forward, backwards or sideways. Players like Fox are incredibly important as it allows attacking players to be more fluid in their movement as they know that the deep-lying Fox can pick them out and take the ball off them when they are under pressure yet keep the speed of the attack consistent.   
[/quote]Its very early and you are to strong for me, your argument is sound, but going back to my original point, i personally dont think he was the 3rd best player to wear a City shirt this season. I have 3 hours and counting to sleep time [|-)]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Gareth"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Those players Gareth are in a different league, in more ways than one!![/quote]
[/quote]Its very early and you are to strong for me, your argument is sound, but going back to my original point, i personally dont think he was the 3rd best player to wear a City shirt this season. I have 3 hours and counting to sleep time [|-)][/quote]
Fair enough. In all honesty third was a bit of a toss up this year. You could have made a solid argument for about 5 players. Just show how well this seasons gone.

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]I voted for Fox.

We simply havent looked the same side when he''s missed games.
[/quote]...........excuse me, did he play against arsenal? villa? spurs? no,i thought not, but johnson did, so your statement just isn''t true.

I think that shaker maker should have said that until about the last 5-6 games of the season we were definately a better side with fox in it! We''ve had couple of great results in north london recently where fox didnt play but there is no denying before them games we were a better team with fox!!

Fox got 3rd in player of the year not because he stood out like holt or ruddy but because he was so important to how we play and the influence he had!

Going be interesting to see what happens next year! We will prob bring in 3-4 players in the summer and one of them might be another midfielder so will be up to fox to fight for his place!!