Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

If the worst happens - new gaf?

Sorry Humphrey was just agreeing with you. Wasn''t having a go either!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I still maintain that Rijkaard is a viable option...
[/quote]

I like the cut of your jib Indy. Why shouldn''t we aim (players, or, at present, hypothetical new Managers) as high as we possibly can?

Would speak volumes of the ambition of the club-to fans, potential investors, players and people within the game. McNally has said we''d go out and get someone "better" if and when PL left-is Hughton, good call as he is, neccessarily "better"? Maybe on a par. Malky? No, don''t think so. Aim as high as you can and don''t be afraid to do so. I think someone like Rijkaard would be worth an enquiry-I''m sure he''d be intrigued enough at the perceived audacity to see what we had to say. What with that and some Managers (Mourinho the outstanding example) saying that, at some point in their career, they''d like to go to a club and build something, really be part of it and commit to that project. We could offer that to any Manager. We must be an outstanding prospect and possibility for many a Manager, I am sure that, if the worse happens, interest would be enormous and come from some very highly placed applicants.

Rijkaard is 49 now and working with Saudi-is he content to take his pension or get back in the game? Its an interesting one. I''m not saying he is a stand out candidate, but it would be great, if the occasion arises, to think big-someone like him, Jean Tigana (though his recent managerial CV has slipped up a bit) or Low, again, I am not saying any of them would consider us, but just try that "out there" approach and offer the project, the chance to be part of something, a stakeholder.

Risky, of course, if it doesn''t come off. But we need some continuity now and committment at the top of the football side of the club. The Lambert rumours have been going on for a couple of years now and it doesn''t help with all this happening every time a managerial post becomes vacant-it would be nice for PL and club to silence it for once and all, new contract and PL announcing his long term committment to the club himself-but that isn''t going to happen. I do wonder if, unless that happens, a parting of the ways might be best for us as well as for PL, else this is just going to happen again and again and again and its all uncertainty-will a player sign, "well is your Manager staying?", will he sign a new deal; "well, is the gaffer going to be here?" etc etc.

It looks like it ought to go one way or the other-PL stays and publicly commits, the club backing that with funds and support-or he departs and we look to build with someone who will stay and who won''t forever be the subject of gossip and speculation. No half measures.

And now is the time, by the end of this month. I''d hate to lose him, but don''t want this dragging on and on; likewise, I''d like any approaches on possible successors to reflect the ambition and determination that we are trying to show him in progressing, to be doubled in efforts to get the right replacement in.

That''s exactly my point.Take our name out of the equation and we would be offering a job to coach in arguably the best league in the world, with a board that will back you to the hilt and a super loyal fanbase - that''s got to be attractive for any manager - attractive enough to at least have a conversation to see exactly what''s on the table.In no way do I see Rijkaard''s current role as being better than what we''re offering (apart from they''re probably paying top dollar), and what''s more, he likes to play football the way we have traditionally done so - attractive, passing football.The key factor here is that if you don''t ask the question, you''ll never know the answer, and should PL get an offer and decide to leave, I''d rather we were approaching people like Rijkaard to gauge interest, than gambling on relatively inexperienced or ''typical'' options without even finding out if the likes of Rijkaard would have been interested.

Yep-to quote that tiresome corporate phrase, its time to "think outside of the box".

Don''t offer PL all that would appear to be on the table and then some in an effort to display just how ambitious we are-maintain it so that if he politely declines, its still there for whoever would replace him.

A hugely attractive option as you say-and, much as we adore Malky, don''t let one man go and then just usher him in, Hughton, whoever, without seeing what else is out there. Its like putting a man on the moon when you could actually go to Mars- or further. Lets see who is out there, let PL see, if he leaves (and, again, I don''t want that to happen) that he has left something that is good and on the up, not standing still.

Of course he is ambitious-respect to him for that, we want ambitious people at the club, not people who are comfortable or complacent. So lets be ambitious together-work with us Paul/A.N.Other, we''re not going to sit on the cosy chair of 2011/12 and say "well that was good wasn''t it?" and watch our tans fade, we''re going to put it away and start working on newer and better ones.

This is the time for NCFC as much as Paul Lambert might be thinking it is for Paul Lambert. There''ll never be a better time for us. Seize it-NOW!!

Holloway would be brilliant great character and play great attacking football. Lets hope West Ham go up if indeed Lambert goes

Culverhouse all day long for me. He is the Brains in the partnership and would be continuity for the players. If he has ambitions in life surely he would want to be the main man

Any of Mcleish, Steve Kean, Roy Keane or Megson would bring me out in a cold sweat.

A few left field suggestions, Ignoring where Bristol City finished Derek McInnes seems similar to Lambert his style and will do well there.

Uwe Rosler seems similar to Lambert in German attacking coaching philosophy and done Ok at Brentford.

After reading many of the names suggested in this thread I am just extremely pleased that we have David McNally at the helm. Lose him and we would really be in trouble.

The manager ....... I would like the best possible man for the job .......... Paul Lambert.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]After reading many of the names suggested in this thread I am just extremely pleased that we have David McNally at the helm. Lose him and we would really be in trouble. The manager ....... I would like the best possible man for the job .......... Paul Lambert.[/quote]

Amen to that.

I guess we are all "buying" insurance-we hope that it never happens, but, in the event that it does, you can discuss contingencies to help soothe and calm!