Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

If the worst happens - new gaf?

Lambert may be going to Villa, he may not (I personally think not.) but if he does we obviously need someone to replace him. who would be your top choices?

mine would be Malky or Martinez

Without a shadow of a doubt Chris Hughton for me. Good calm and collective figure who would do well to steady the ship. Managed  Newcastle and birmingham through very difficult times

Yes, Chris Hughton a strong shout for me as well. Like Lambert, he has a "team" -in this case, Colin Calderwood and Paul Trollop, both ex-Managers themselves.

If wanted to go for "young and hungry" in the managerial stakes as well as players, then Chris Powell and Karl Robinson tick boxes for me. Eddie Howe has impressed at Bournemouth and now Burnley.

Hugely hypothetical to discuss names now, but, as the Lambert thing does seem to have some mileage in it, then no harm done-though would rather hear he has signed a new three year contract, along with IC and GK in next few days.

Neil Lennon... :P

Hughton is a good shout, as is Malky, I''m sure most want to see some experience but I see no benefit in going for a Curbishley etc. and no reason Martinez would join us. Bringing playing and coaching staff with us through the lower leagues has served us well, so maybe even a Lee Clark or Chris Powell...

Very much like the idea of Hughton - did very well at Newcastle before being unfairly dismissed. Poyet perhaps?

Thinking outside the box...

Di Matteo should he not get the Chelsea job? - probably unlikely

Solksjaer - give him a go in the Prem before he innevitably gets the Man Utd job at some point. - again, probably very unlikely.

Think all the above names are a decent shout, think another young manager would be good so the likes of Howe and Chris Powell would fit that bill. Not sure about Karl Robinson though, seen him on that late kick off a few times and really does come across as quite arrogant

Bielsa? Coyle?  Not saying we could get either, but a couple more names to throw into the mix. 

Lee Clarke for me

Fits the bill as a young and hungry manager, was working wonders at huddersfield before his strange sacking and he would come free of charge.

Not keen on Malky as he''s a former player and that can always go wrong as we all know

[quote user="greenwichcanary"]Without a shadow of a doubt Chris Hughton for me. Good calm and collective figure who would do well to steady the ship. Managed  Newcastle and birmingham through very difficult times
[/quote]

He''s in talks with West Brom according to B-ham fans, I would rather like to see Curbs here,He would be my choice anyway.  

Curbs has been out of the game for a long time though hasn''t he?

Should that mean anything-can you, as a Manager, be out for too long-lose touch? Or do you spend that time wisely, learning, observing, getting the hunger back and hitting the ground running when you do return.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Curbs has been out of the game for a long time though hasn''t he?

Should that mean anything-can you, as a Manager, be out for too long-lose touch? Or do you spend that time wisely, learning, observing, getting the hunger back and hitting the ground running when you do return.

[/quote]

Point taken, but I haven''t driven an Artic 38tonn lorry through the french alps and down as far as Greece,and Portugal for 12 years, don''t mean I won''t know how to does it

"If" Lambert leaves, we shouldn''t be underslling ourselves as a club.....unlike previous occasions when we have advertised for a new manager we do so from a position of strength . Norwich City is currently the most attactive opportunity that it has been in its history. We sell out every week home and away which certainly hasnt always been the case, we aren''t in financial diffuculties AND most importantly we have a good team on the pitch which has got to be worth something for any new candidate?.  Please lets not sell ourselves short with talk for washed up old managers like Curbishley, or picking someone of the merry-go-round like Bruce, the type of candidate we should currently be able to attract is far better than that and dare I say , on a European scale??

Well let''s go really big then - get Rijkaard in.It''s a better job than the Saudi national side - even with our relatively limited funds by comparison to the league...

My worst nightmare would be some (never)has-been "European Manager".

One choice I would seriously consider is Ian Culverhouse. You look at the majority of assistant managers, most never step foot out of the dug-out. IC is more than an assistant manager to Lambert, much like Lee Clark was too Roeder.

My probable first choice would be Lee Clark himself. Brilliant young manager.

If we cant either, Chris Hughton. If we cant get him, then you tell me..

Promoting from within sometimes works. It did with Brown, Stringer and Walker but Deehan and Megson were disastrous. Culverhouse is a feisty character who wouldn''t be overawed by it I dont think. You certainly hear him a lot from the dugout. Whereas someone like Terry Connor you always felt preferred to be in the background. But he might decide to carry on being part of team Lambert. Mark Bowen and Mark Hughes have become pretty inseparable as a management team despite Bowen being linked with a few management posts.

Said this on another thread. Please God not Lee Clark. I know everyone points to the unbeaten run but that doesnt tell the whole story at all. He had an absolutely massive budget handed to him by the Huddersfield chairman and with the exception of signing Rhodes, Pilkington and Peltier he has squandered millions on players who havent been good enough to get out of the League 1. They are the highest wage payers in the league by a long way and were never in the automatic slots. For a club that needs to box clever in the market next year this is the last thing we need.

Please God not Malky....................I do not want to see City playing hoofball.  Martinez or Hughton.

[quote user="Wallerboi"]Lee Clarke for me

Fits the bill as a young and hungry manager, was working wonders at huddersfield before his strange sacking and he would come free of charge.

Not keen on Malky as he''s a former player and that can always go wrong as we all know[/quote]I''d like Clarke, been very impressed with him. Failing that, Billy Davies (gets the most from players) or Nigel Adkins (I don''t know if he would come here over Saints, probably not).

[quote user="Jacko"]Promoting from within sometimes works. It did with Brown, Stringer and Walker but Deehan and Megson were disastrous. Culverhouse is a feisty character who wouldn''t be overawed by it I dont think. You certainly hear him a lot from the dugout. Whereas someone like Terry Connor you always felt preferred to be in the background. But he might decide to carry on being part of team Lambert. Mark Bowen and Mark Hughes have become pretty inseparable as a management team despite Bowen being linked with a few management posts.

Said this on another thread. Please God not Lee Clark. I know everyone points to the unbeaten run but that doesnt tell the whole story at all. He had an absolutely massive budget handed to him by the Huddersfield chairman and with the exception of signing Rhodes, Pilkington and Peltier he has squandered millions on players who havent been good enough to get out of the League 1. They are the highest wage payers in the league by a long way and were never in the automatic slots. For a club that needs to box clever in the market next year this is the last thing we need.[/quote]If Lambert goes then I expect Cully and Karsa to go with him, they seem a tight team and clearly rely on each other.

Thats what I think. Hence why I made the reference to Bowen and Hughes at the end. I do seem to remember Lambert saying in an interview that it was Culverhouse who really pushed for him to sign Elliott Bennett. So his input is clearly very important to Lambert and trusted.

[quote user="Jacko"]Thats what I think. Hence why I made the reference to Bowen and Hughes at the end. I do seem to remember Lambert saying in an interview that it was Culverhouse who really pushed for him to sign Elliott Bennett. So his input is clearly very important to Lambert and trusted.[/quote]I wasn''t having a go, merely agreeing with you. Hence I quoted you.

Bowen would be an excellent choice if he could be persuaded to leave Hughes.

Otherwise, Hughton for me. He did an excellent job at Newcastle.