Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Idea to increase ground capacity

[quote user="Northern Yella"]I have to laugh everytime this debate goes on about creating extra seats , we must be covering 500 plus seats in every game to create a buffer between the away fans and our fans in the Jarrold . Why not put the away fans in the Jarrold Corner  lower area - then depending on the away support numbers , they would have the option of the upper Jarrold corner tier as well . Most other teams put the away fans in the part of the ground where nobody likes sitting - ie the corners . Why don''t we do the same and free the Jarrold up for all of our pwn fans and create 500 plus seats immediately . Then if we did put extra seats in the Hotel corner area , there wouldn''t be any segregation needed or seats covered over as our fans would be sat there .. [/quote]Or just ban away fans completely? I think Colchester tried it, and we''ve nicked other things from them in the past...

It seems that you haven''t read the post ? I''m not saying ban the away supporters , but covering 500 seats over in the Jarrold Stand every game is just crazy when we are selling every home game out . If we did use the Jarrold or even City Stand - River End corner section(s) it would make more sense leaving the current away section for City fans and enable an extension of the lower Barclay to join the Jarrold in front of the hotel without any segregation required .

"Excellent news for Jarrold Block H patrons with all the WAGS perched in there "

I didn''t get too close to the wags on Sunday but it didn''t look like we''re missing much. Half of them were wearing their own body weight in make up.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]

"Excellent news for Jarrold Block H patrons with all the WAGS perched in there "

I didn''t get too close to the wags on Sunday but it didn''t look like we''re missing much. Half of them were wearing their own body weight in make up.

[/quote]Slappy clappies.......

[quote user="marvin the martian"]

[/quote]Slappy clappies.......

The current City stand built in the 1985/86 season has got the foundations for an upper tier.

The board have said this is an option but they think it would be better to knock it down and a much bigger stand with better facilities cause while the City stand is still more than decent, its a bit cramped in the refreshment areas and could be better!

The idea with either City stand option is to build over the road and keep the road as it is much in the same way that Hillsboroughs main stand has a road under it and so does much of Old Trafford.

The exact facts on the Jarold stand are sketchy. Some say that it was built without foundations for an upper tier while others say it has. Even without the foundations it would be possible to build an upper tier with its own foundations. This has been done at other clubs although it would be mega expensive!

I agree about the massive segregation netting being a waste of seats particularly when we could easily sell them and then at the Emirates the other week you could shake hands with the Arsenal fans because the segregation area was so narrow. But even if the club moved away fans to the Aviva corner lower tier like a previous poster suggested, you''d still need segregation!

Our average crowds for League games since the Worthy era including a season in the 3rd Division when we averaged not far short of 25,000, indicate that it is very justifiable to increase capacity and we would of averaged 32,000+ this season if the ground was capable. Those who say otherwise are talking out their backsides while wearing their "little ole Norwich" tinted specs!

Our club has huge potential and while we''re in the top flight getting the big funds we have to push on. A massive part of growing the club is by increasing capacity!

800 extra seats will increase the useable capacity to about 27620 for next season!

I work in construction as a Surveyor, and take into consideration what McNally and Bowkett say about moving old fans in city stand.

If over the summer we are to build corner infill around hotel is phase 1...I would then look to do the following if we are too get our capacity to 38,000 plus.

Phase 2. Remove roof from south stand, and add further second tier (4,000). This would then be able to accomodate city stand supporters. I would suggest a construction type similar to the one shown for Fulham, which would increase floor area for offices, Wc''s, potetial Norwich City Museum. If this is to be carried out then the club need to think soon...see attached link.

http://www.broadlandhousing.org/new_build/carrow_quarter.php

Phase 3. This would involve demolition to existing city stand, constructing second tier stand as Fulham example, with corner infills between barclay and river. I believe this would bring capacity to 38-40k.

The Carrow Quarter is currently in for planning and if we are to develop south stand this development could take up space for our own plans.

The Jarrold Stand does not need new foundations for an extra tier (4,000) as this was designed so it could be added at a future date.

It would be great if Norwich could make Carrow Road back to a 35-38,000 stadia, and in effect, making us a ''bigger club'', but that has it risks.

I would expect the club to knock down the City Stand and rebuild, but not to add an extra tier to the Jarrold Stand for the foreseeable future, though as pointed out previously, with other area around the ground potentially being redeveloped too, the club needs to act sooner rather than later.

[quote user="colneycanary"]The city stand is dated and needs modernising or re-building. It also doesn''t hold as many as the other 3 stands.

The only space left in the ground is the corner between the Barclay and Jarrold stand. If they build a corner stand there and have a suite or outside section for the people staying in the hotel, you wouldn''t be cutting off the hotel altogether. Also by creating some extra seats, you could then temporarily move some season ticket holders from the city stand, while they re-build the City stand.[/quote]I remember them building the City stand in ''86 or so after the old one burnt down and was dissapointed even then when it was clear that the capacity was lower than the previous one. Not sure what the thinking was back then (probably no more money) but it has perhaps come back to bite us.

The Fulham plans are interesting. Leicester Tigers RUFC did something similar at Welford Road- built a new top tier behind the existing stand, keeping the latter in use until season end. The old stand was then demolished and the new structure brought forward. This enabled them to push forward the upper tier whilst still keeping the same ground capacity. Some photos are at [url ]www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=731484&page=12[/url], second or so post down. I''m not sure we have enough space behind the City Stand to do something similar, but an interesting solution to ''where do we put the season ticket holders'' problem none the less.

Didn''t Wolves also do a ''split completion'' build this year too, housing fans in finished lower tier with the upper being finished later...., although it will be telling to see how full that capacity will be next season !

I like the idea what Tigers did at Leicester.

I think we shall have to build on Carrow Road.

There is still access round past the new flats, and sure they could re-arrange road behind barclay to the other section of Carrow Road