Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Idea to increase ground capacity

Fed up of reading if he''s going or not. I personally think Lambert will stay.

Anyway was thinking the other day, how we increase the ground capacity.

Build a corner stand in front of the hotel with executive suites. One of which is reserved for the people staying in the hotel.

Trying to think how else they could expand the stadium. When the main stand eventually gets re-built where do they put the season ticket holders? They could put some in the new corner stand? Anybody any other ideas?

Yeah all this Lambert speculation is getting on my wick as well, like when has Lambert ever given any clues when interviewed!

I''m sure if its posible to put seats in front of the Hotel (or anywhere else for that matter) then Mcnally will go for it cause at the moment we''d probably be able to get 32-33,000 at least for nearly every League game!

As for the 1st major rebuild, who says its the City stand that will be done 1st?

I think it would make more sense to put another tier on the Jarold stand cause this could be done without any temporary reduction in capacity!

Between the Barclay and the away fans, have a part for people staying in executive suites... you haven''t thought that one through, I doubt it would be a popular idea. As for where do we put fans during construction, I have wondered that aswell, surely it couldn''t all get done in the close season could it?

We''ll find some extra space for seating somewhere. Our supporters would sit on the roofs of the stands if they were allowed.

The city stand is dated and needs modernising or re-building. It also doesn''t hold as many as the other 3 stands.

The only space left in the ground is the corner between the Barclay and Jarrold stand. If they build a corner stand there and have a suite or outside section for the people staying in the hotel, you wouldn''t be cutting off the hotel altogether. Also by creating some extra seats, you could then temporarily move some season ticket holders from the city stand, while they re-build the City stand.

I have it in good authority that secret plans have been drawn up to almost double capacity.They are going to sell each seat twice and you have another fan sat on your lap. For fairness you swap at half time.Fatties will have to pay double if they want a seat to themselves.

[quote user="morty"]I have it in good authority that secret plans have been drawn up to almost double capacity.They are going to sell each seat twice and you have another fan sat on your lap. For fairness you swap at half time.Fatties will have to pay double if they want a seat to themselves.[/quote]

Lmao great idea!

[quote user="colneycanary"][quote user="morty"]I have it in good authority that secret plans have been drawn up to almost double capacity.They are going to sell each seat twice and you have another fan sat on your lap. For fairness you swap at half time.Fatties will have to pay double if they want a seat to themselves.[/quote]

Lmao great idea![/quote]Be right back, off to ring McNally.[:D]

There is an option for another 4,000 on the Jarrold Stand, as the club went conservative on the capacity on construction.

The City Stand, which the club has openly said for years that it had earmarked for redevelopment - has always been a bit of a joke. I recall being seriously underwhelmed when it was opened. The fire of the Main Stand must of been a very poor insurance payout, as everyone I recall was expecting better.

With an extended Jarrold Stand, New City Stand and some extra tinkering, we could easily get to 35,000, but that could be many many years away...

McNally confirmed tonight there will be approx 800 extra seats going infront of the hotel in the corner by start of next season with a survey on expansion of city stand underway

30% reduction in seat size and become the world''s first under-10s-only stadium.

Introduce a crouching area - fitting at least five more rows into the same space.

Suspend the pitch three metres above its current level, construct a pioneering, perfectly transparent playing surface and install thousands of reclining seats underneath (with corresponding ban on players or match officials wearing boxer shorts).

Im sure they can build another tier over the city stand, and just take the roof out during the offseason. City stand is not so high.

[quote user="Canary-N"]Im sure they can build another tier over the city stand, and just take the roof out during the offseason. City stand is not so high.[/quote]No, they really can''t.The foundations were, I suspect, only designed to take a single tier stand.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Canary-N"]Im sure they can build another tier over the city stand, and just take the roof out during the offseason. City stand is not so high.[/quote]

No, they really can''t.

The foundations were, I suspect, only designed to take a single tier stand.
[/quote]

This may not be feasible at Norwich with the City Stand, because of a lack of room at the back, but at Fulham they are building a second tier behind an existing tier, so there will be no need to demolish the existing stand:

Rumours have always done the rounds concerning the purchase of Carrow Road to do the job. The diagram does illustrate it could be fairly straight forward.  The hard bit is funding it I suppose.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Canary-N"]Im sure they can build another tier over the city stand, and just take the roof out during the offseason. City stand is not so high.[/quote]No, they really can''t.The foundations were, I suspect, only designed to take a single tier stand.[/quote]

This may not be feasible at Norwich with the City Stand, because of a lack of room at the back, but at Fulham they are building a second tier behind an existing tier, so there will be no need to demolish the existing stand:

[/quote]Interesting, I stand corrected.I think I remember reading that if they do expand the stand it would move back also to cover the road.

I have to laugh everytime this debate goes on about creating extra seats , we must be covering 500 plus seats in every game to create a buffer between the away fans and our fans in the Jarrold . Why not put the away fans in the Jarrold Corner  lower area - then depending on the away support numbers , they would have the option of the upper Jarrold corner tier as well . Most other teams put the away fans in the part of the ground where nobody likes sitting - ie the corners . Why don''t we do the same and free the Jarrold up for all of our pwn fans and create 500 plus seats immediately . Then if we did put extra seats in the Hotel corner area , there wouldn''t be any segregation needed or seats covered over as our fans would be sat there ..

Realistically... are we going to need this extra capacity after next season?

I''m no engineer, but guess a cantilever effort would also work for the City stand, thus eliminating any need to demolish the existing stand first. I think Rangers did something similar, to supplement a very old stand.

This would mean building behind the current footprint of the City stand, though.

Realistically, we averaged 24, 500 the year we were relegated from the Championship.

Realistically, we, even if being relegated next season, will have the benefit of most of  a Premiership squad, the parachute payments and no debt interest to pay to be able to mount a challenge for a quick return, sooner rather than later.

Besides, I understood it that nothing new was to be built until we were able to become established at Premiership level, if and when, in any case. 

[quote user="morty"]I have it in good authority that secret plans have been drawn up to almost double capacity.They are going to sell each seat twice and you have another fan sat on your lap. For fairness you swap at half time.Fatties will have to pay double if they want a seat to themselves.[/quote]Excellent news for Jarrold Block H patrons with all the WAGS perched in there but not such good news if you''re a lardy ar*e in the Director''s Box......

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]***TROLL ALERT***[/quote]

I suspect TROLL  ALOT is more appropriate.

[/quote]

or maybe TROLLOP even

...........or sell Carrow Road and build a brand new 32,000 seater on city outskirts. I''d hate that to happen, and would prefer a smaller stadium in the current position, but many bean counters at other clubs have done exactly that rather than extend a complicated existing structure.

One other point though, if loads of casual tickets suddenly become available every game, will the pressure to renew season tickets be as great? A large capacity is great when things go well, but when times are darker the glory hunters will have disappeared but we''ll still want to have a full stadium.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Canary-N"]Im sure they can build another tier over the city stand, and just take the roof out during the offseason. City stand is not so high.[/quote]

No, they really can''t.

The foundations were, I suspect, only designed to take a single tier stand.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting, I stand corrected.

I think I remember reading that if they do expand the stand it would move back also to cover the road.
[/quote]

Morty, I think how ever they build-rebuild the City Stand it is bound to cover the old Carrow Road - ie what is now a pedestrian path. Whether Norwich could do what Fulham are doing, ie leaving the stand in place and building behind it, I don''t know. It may be the space there is too limited (by Koblenz Avenie) for that to be feasible, given that building sites take up more space than the area for whatever is being built.