Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Your 3 top summer transfer targets

OK, pretty basic, say you could choose 3 players you would love to see City realistically buy this season, who would it be.I think the 3 most vital positions to sort this summer are: full back, attacking mid/winger and a striker, although i would like to see another CB perhaps too and could do with a strong break up play midfielder (the french tend to breed a few!), but i think Martin should be made a CB, covering at RB when needed and Johnson and Howson can both do the break up play job if needed, so the other 3 positions are more vital.Full Back - Kyle Naughten - i would break the bank to bring him in, i still think his contract is up this summer, but not sure because it seems Norwich have said he is out of our price range. He has been brilliant for us this season, in both full back slots and even at CB when needed. He has plenty of years ahead of him and has the prospect of being an England international one, regular football in the prem will really help his cause.Attacking Mid - Snodgrass - the obvious choice, think most of us have wanted/expected him to sign either last summer or January. I think he only has a year on his contract at Leeds and isn''t wanting to sign a new one, dissapointed with the club becoming a selling club. It would be great if he could join up with his former team mates at city and can play either wing, despite his lack of pace and behind the striker, slightly more versatile than WesStriker - Jamie Mackie - had an exceptional half a season last year before his injury, didn''t really know much about him before that, but has come good again since a run of games for QPR. Seems to be determined guy with a good attitude, would fit in well with the squad, perhaps he wouldn''t mind out of QPR. If QPR spend big money this summer on a couple of strikers, Mackie could well be available and cheaper than RhodesThink we could sign all three within our budget, perhaps another signing too coupled with a loan or two

Naughton seems a must, and I cant disagree!

Matt Phillips, an extra attacking option, which would give extra competition for Hooly or we could sell Hooly??

John Gudetti - Knows where the back of the net is, only 20 and has very little chance of getting into the man city team anytime soon. Maybe more likely a loan.

Simple enough,
Kyle Naughton
Liam Bridcutt
Charlie Austin
Nothing needs to be said about Naughton, seen enough of him this season to know  just how good he is.
Bridcutt is an interesting player, came through the Chelsea academy where he was compared favourably to Mekelele , being coached by Poyet has turned him into a very capable passer of the ball, he could be an ideal defensive midfielder for this club.
Scored goals in the championship in average to below average side (Burnley). Austin is pacy and quick across the ground preferring to play on the shoulder and score goals (he''s also six foot) and has scored 16 goals in his first full season of championship football. He was very good for Swindon in league 1 and is still improving in what is only his 3rd season of professional football

Martin Olsson

Matt Jarvis

Nick Powell

Not sure we''ll win the battle for Powell as the big 4 are all meant to be interested....

Jarvis may cost too much and again may go to a top side

Olsson may be likely if we can''t get Naughton

Definatley a new full back that could fill in both sides - Kyle Naughton?

Replacement for Crofts..thought he has been out of his depth this year, and we need to have more quality/back up.

Snodgrass

Replacement for the forever injured Vaughan

Not a signing but need Whitbread signed up for extension.

I think Bennett and Ayala will be good centre back pairing when boh fit

Would be delighted with any of them, although can''t say i Know Banana''s Man City youngster.Think Charlie Austin is a good shout too.

Think I''m with the majority with Naughton, then perhaps Snoddy/Jarvis, Rhodes. Think we do need to sort defence out so there may be changes here though no idea who.

Not so sure about Austin, I went to see Burnley v Brum a month or so ago and he didn''t really look like an ''effort'' player, seemed to expect the ball to come to him all the time rather than looking for it; I can imagine how he''d go down given the stick that Moro has (imo wrongly) had.

Naughton if at all possible

Curtis Davis or another cb with power and pace.

Liam Bridcutt we need pacy and strong defensive midfielder

A really fast and I mean rapid striker nose bleed fast who can nick a goal away from home when we do not deserve it. For this i think we may have to risk a foreign signing Obafemi Martins jr so to speak.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Think I''m with the majority with Naughton, then perhaps Snoddy/Jarvis, Rhodes. Think we do need to sort defence out so there may be changes here though no idea who.

Not so sure about Austin, I went to see Burnley v Brum a month or so ago and he didn''t really look like an ''effort'' player, seemed to expect the ball to come to him all the time rather than looking for it
; I can imagine how he''d go down given the stick that Moro has (imo wrongly) had.[/quote]
As I said he''s a pacy off the shoulder kind of striker, dropping into space isn''t really his thing (although seeing how Simeon Jackson has become adept at it means Austin could be taught). It would be up to Holt to drop into the space and claim the ball which is what he is best at IMO.
Also remember that Austin is only 22 and has only been a professional footballer for about three years, and the non-league side he came from weren''t even in the conference I believe, there are still a lot of rough edges to his game but I think he could become a top quality striker in the right hands.  

Naughton is definitely on the list for me, and I would rather have Rhodes here than Vaughan (who hasn''t had much of a run admittedly, but hasn''t really taken his chances when he has had them).As for Austin, he is apparently a bit of an arse off the pitch and I remember hearing stuff about him at Swindon, so I doubt he would fit in with the team spirit thing we have going on here.

Should add that I only leave Naughton off the list cos I don''t think its realistic... too expensive considering we need another 6-7 players IMO this summer.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Should add that I only leave Naughton off the list cos I don''t think its realistic... too expensive considering we need another 6-7 players IMO this summer.[/quote]I''m going to disagree... We have a very balanced squad right now where the first-team regulars are not that much better than those struggling to get on the bench, so I reckon we would be fine with maybe three big signings and just leaving the rest of the squad rather settled.

For me, the 3 positions that we most need covering are full back, defensive midfield and striker:

Naughton (enough said already)

Liam Bridcutt - Brighton fans seem to really rate this defensive midfielder

Rhodes (added benefit of pi$$ing off 1p5hit)

We cannot really address this matter yet as it is too early in the day. We do not know who will be leaving and I am not referring to the PL situation.

There are already doubts about Whitbread and Naughton and who knows what other of our players will be poached from above. A few good Premiership reputations were established  last season and there is big money out there.

At the other end of the spectrum it will also depend upon which fringe players we will lose. Despite their recent contibutions, I think that Lappin, Crofts and Wilbers, and even Jacko can be bettered. To have in we need out and this is dictated by our wages bill and squad limitations.

All things being equal, I would obviously like to see Naughton become permanent and would like a punt on Rhodes. Snodgrass has been on the radar for so long that his arrival seems imminent, especially as he has refused to extend his contract with Leeds. We need to lose a few first, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Ideal:    Wilbo out, Rhodes in.

Crofts out, Snodgrass in.

Naughton, in.

Whitbread, staying. 

With options pending re: Lappin and Jacko as what they offer will need replacing with improved. 

As I said, ideal (realistic ideal.)

Unlike many, I am not sure how far Naughton will improve defensively as he matures. He has pace, and gets forward well, but he was beaten by Agbonlahor on Sunday, and we have conceded goals from left wingers cutting in and shooting with their right foot, when he should have ushered them down the line (Benayoun, Hoillet, etc.). He has been a good acquisition on loan, but I would not want to spend too much on him.

We need at least one fullback - Martin struggles for pace there. If Tierney ''s recovery is doubtful, we need one of each side. Any of the names PL was reported to be looking at would do. Assuming that Barnett and Ward will be off - significantly the latter did not play much in the last few tough games, I think that we need one CB. Whitbread would do, but would he want to be fourth in the pecking order? I suspect that unless PL can promise him regular first team games, he will be off.

In the midfiield we have cover of various sorts already, although Crofts is out of his depth and Johnson''s technique fails him regularly.A goal-scoring midfielder would be useful. Would Snodgrass fit in with PL''s work ethic and be a good team player, or would we have to fit other players round him?

Up front we certainly need some firepower. Rhodes or Rodriquez would be great, but I suspect will be outside our spending range.It has been sad that both Morison and Jackson have been foraging out on the wings, rather than being in place to receive intelligent knock-downs and flicks by the captain.We certainly need another striker or two, depnding on whether PL decides to keep Vaughan and Wilbraham.

All in all, it costs less to keep a player than to buy one. Perhaps we shall see one or two reasonably high-priced players plus one or two outside bets from lower divisions.

Reckon Whitbread will stay - someone on here said he seemed quite positive about staying.

If Crofts goes I''d want a defensive/sitting midfielder to replace him as Snodgrass isn''t a replacement

Rhodes would be great but I reckon there''ll be plenty of teams after him - Huddersfield could still be in Championship yet too

Wilby might stay another year as PL likes influential players like him and he''s the only other target man we have. Even if we got another one I think he''d stay another year because he did well and can''t be on massive wages.

I feel that Lappin will go and Jackson will stay because he''s still young and had some good performances. If someone put in an offer for him and Vaughan was back then maybe he''d go, but he''s the only ''pace'' we have up front without Vaughan.

I''d like us to get Naughton first (and Gunter as well would be awesome)

Then a left-back because Drury is more likely to get injuries at this age and Tierney got a few already. If Lappin goes we''d certainly need a left-back as priority.

Defensive midfielder would be next to compete with Johnson/Fox in that position. Frimpong would be awesome

Snodgrass just because he''s quality and would compliment Howson I reckon

Possibly another striker, especially if Wilby goes and to lessen the burden on Holt in terms of goals. Ideally I''d like Jackson to start firing in some goals next season and/or Vaughan to stay fit as I think he''ll score if he gets in.

All exciting and can''t wait to see what PL has up his sleeve in terms of targets:)

I agree with all of that Salopian, especially the last point, but we cannot stand still either.

In my mention of fringe players that we would need to unload before getting, hopefully, better, I had over-looked Barnett and perhaps even Ward. We all asume C. Martin will go as well.

I see a busy Summer ahead.

Incredibly unfair critcism of Naughton Salopion. For the Benayoun goal. Naughton was facing a two versus one situation. So he wasn''t in any position to commit because the player on the overlap would have had the freedom of the penalty area. His only crime there was not being able to do the work of two men. As for the Hoilett goal, check the replays and I think you find Russell Martin is his marker not Naughton. But I agree that full back is an area thats serious strengthening in the summer.

Butterfield is a good call. Time will tell whether he can get over that knee injury.

Naughton.

Bridcutt a good call.

Bertrand if Chelsea are looking to rebuild.

Not sure on Jarvis-where does that leave Elliot Bennett? He has just started to come into his own and will, I am sure, be a huge player for us next season.

Would be very interested to see us checking out Michael Johnson at Man City-now on a free I think and, as far as I know, fit after lengthy injury problems.

I think we need two full backs one each side (although I would also give Drury another season)

If Whitbread stays I think central defence will be covered especially if we have less injuries next season Bennet , Ayala , Whitbread , Martin and Ward

Midfield I cant see anyone coming in (unless its Snodgrass) Lambert has been after him for a long time.

Upfront I think we need some flair, someone to offer something other players cant, maybe someone in the Pacheco mould.

Id certainly try and keep Wilbo and Foxy.

Easy one for me....

Paul Lambert

Ian Culverhouse

Gary Karsa

OK..you mean footballers..

Kyle Naughton

Curtis Davis

Jordan Rhodes