Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Roy Hodgson OUT!

[quote user="baldyboy"]Both Liverpool players and HE signed Downing!!!![/quote]No he didn''t.

Seriously? Yes!

If Hodgson wanted the whole country behind him, then this was not the way to go about it.

He''s been walking about with a stupid grin on his face ever since his appointment and this squad selection has done nothing to endear him to football followers up and down the country.

What a turgid midfield and impotent forward line - just hope for Ruddy''s sake that he doesn''t get a game, and therefore tarnished alongside this bunch of old tat.......

I always thought that Green was never as good a keeper after being ''coached'' by Clemence. Message to Ruddy - ignore any tips that boring Clemence gives!!

I give up with England.

[quote user="Northluck C."][quote user="baldyboy"]Both Liverpool players and HE signed Downing!!!![/quote]No he didn''t.[/quote]

Exactly unless he has some interesting mind control techniques that was Dalglish''s signing last summer.

Do you not think that maybe its abit of an over-reaction?

When was the last time you agreed with all 23 players named in an England squad? With the exception of 1 or 2 players isnt the team generally what was expected, the way people are going on you would like we have an under 21''s team full to the brim of Messi like wonderkids ready to win the European Championship.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

Do you not think that maybe its abit of an over-reaction?

When was the last time you agreed with all 23 players named in an England squad? With the exception of 1 or 2 players isnt the team generally what was expected, the way people are going on you would like we have an under 21''s team full to the brim of Messi like wonderkids ready to win the European Championship.

[/quote]

Some sense at last!

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]Do you not think that maybe its abit of an over-reaction? [/quote]No I don''t, and that''s not a simply knee-jerk reaction either.He''s selected players who have been terrible this season, and who have often underperformed massively for England previously, and what''s more - we all know they have.Downing has been terrible this year and looked poor for England, Terry has had a poor season and has the court case hanging over him whereas Rio has had a great season and isn''t facing a potential race charge, Carroll has done jack all this season apart from a couple of goals in the last few games and suddenly he''s the new messiah to some fans, and let''s hope we don''t get an injury to Glen Johnson as we''ll be playing a centre half there instead...Sorry SOG, but there''s some shocking choices here, which along with the omission of players like Lennon, A.Johnson, Holt and even Richards, makes this one of the most cynical and repetitive squad choices I''ve ever seen.Looks like we''ll have the plodding of Barry, the inability of Lampard and Gerrard to play together and a couple of strikers who''ve struggled to score this season to look forward to...Now explain to me how this is an over-reaction?

Five Liverpool players selected after the season they''ve had? That''s every first team Englishmen from Liverpool except the retired Carragher.

Penalties aside, not many goals produced by that set of midfielders this season either.

The same old failures offered yet another opportunity to fail miserably.

Uninspirational to the extreme.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]Do you not think that maybe its abit of an over-reaction? [/quote]No I don''t, and that''s not a simply knee-jerk reaction either.He''s selected players who have been terrible this season, and who have often underperformed massively for England previously, and what''s more - we all know they have.Downing has been terrible this year and looked poor for England, Terry has had a poor season and has the court case hanging over him whereas Rio has had a great season and isn''t facing a potential race charge, Carroll has done jack all this season apart from a couple of goals in the last few games and suddenly he''s the new messiah to some fans, and let''s hope we don''t get an injury to Glen Johnson as we''ll be playing a centre half there instead...Sorry SOG, but there''s some shocking choices here, which along with the omission of players like Lennon, A.Johnson, Holt and even Richards, makes this one of the most cynical and repetitive squad choices I''ve ever seen.Looks like we''ll have the plodding of Barry, the inability of Lampard and Gerrard to play together and a couple of strikers who''ve struggled to score this season to look forward to...Now explain to me how this is an over-reaction?[/quote]

ok indy, I think calling for Hodgson to be sacked now is an over reaction because

1. We have not played a single game yet with him in charge, sacking him now would make us the laughing stock of world football

2. Barry , Lampard and Gerrard play for some of the biggest teams in world football and are considered by their managers as vital parts of their team. they are not crappy, you may not rate them, but some important and experienced football managers do.

3. Terry is a good defender, he would not play for and captian Chelsea football club if he were not. He is a knob, i hate him, but he is worthy of a place in the England team in my view and again, other more knowledgable football managers agree with me (or me with them)

4. downing / lenon is my view is a mistake, but I dont think we should sack the manager over it

5. Actually, I should of just stopped at point one, it was enough really wasnt it? really?

Even ignoring Grant Holt not being in the squad, there are a few obviously wrong choices. Terry no way ahead of Rio. Downing? Probably the worst signing of the season, never done well for England. Andy Carroll? No, Crouch is much better and has the experience.

In my eyes, he had two choices, either go for the best squad of form this season or go for a young inexperienced squad to get them some experience (something I wasn''t keen on, as it would probably be 2/3 losses and out in the group stage, and Whilshire & Rodwell are injured). He hasn''t done either, there are at least 4 choices which are obviously wrong, another 2 or 3 easily arguably dodgy choices.

Not happy with the squad at all, were going to have to play some decent football and get to the Quarters for Hodgson to impress me.

Reckon should Lambert go this thread will be a mirror image of that aimed at our new manager ( whoever he is ) should he not win his first game or even dare to drop Grant Holt. A manager is there to select and manage a team and ensure they work tatically to stop the other team scoring. Sometimes a team does not include the best players, Augero is not automatic for Argentina. If you look on other sites and look now at so called pundits this is the only place where there is that sort of outcry for Holt.

I actually think it is not the playing for Norwich ect that has not got him selected, I think it is the fact that in international football you must try to keep the ball and like it or not even with English referees holt gives away a lot of fouls. I really beleive that if you had a spanish or italian ref doing our first game he would not last an hour as they would not understand him. In comparrison to Holt Caroll has given away only 1/3 of the freekicks Holt has.

Give the man a chance and at least judge him afterwards

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]

I actually think it is not the playing for Norwich ect that has not got him selected, I think it is the fact that in international football you must try to keep the ball and like it or not even with English referees holt gives away a lot of fouls. I really beleive that if you had a spanish or italian ref doing our first game he would not last an hour as they would not understand him. In comparrison to Holt Caroll has given away only 1/3 of the freekicks Holt has.

[/quote]Carroll has only scored 1/3 of the Premier League goals Grant Holt has.Call me old fashioned but I''d like to think strikers are picked on the basis of goals scored, rather than free kicks not given away.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]

[/quote]

Carroll has only scored 1/3 of the Premier League goals Grant Holt has.

Call me old fashioned but I''d like to think strikers are picked on the basis of goals scored, rather than free kicks not given away.

[/quote]

1/3 of the freekicks may be correct, although I''ve not checked, but I trust you''re talking ratio to minutes on the pitch here and not just number, because I doubt Carroll has played as many league minutes as Holt.

It''s the constant inclusion of international failures that''s annoyed people. Myself included. I''d much rather see a team of young, hungry players get a chance, give it their all and lose than see the likes of Lampard, Gerrard et al fail yet again. They''ve had their chance and they''ve been no-where good enough. Woy had a chance to remove this culture from the England Team and he''s failed spectacularly. That''s why people are upset.The Germans did it, the Dutch have done it, and the Spanish, well look how well a ''long-gelling'' team worked for them.........Woy will be in that job a year tops, before the red-tops have ripped him to pieces, if that long. I''m sensing Turnip 2.........

Crazy. Ludicrous. Disgraceful.

And that''s the idea of people calling for Hodgson out already.

We haven''t kicked a ball yet!

Yes there are some dodgy selections in there but if we suddenly won the Euros (i don''t think we will) and say Downing and Carroll were our best players, it''d be these same people saying RH is awesome!

He WILL be a good manager for England not only at senior level but is going to have a major input at St Georges Park and so a large impact on youth football in this country. This appointment is about building for the future as well as the here and now.

Let''s stop ridiculing him before he''s even had a game, and support him. If not then just don''t follow England in the Euros. Simple really.

And yes i was gutted Holty wasn''t picked.

The omision of Grant holt is a national scandal... the sooner we get Hogsons head integrated with a root vegatable on the back of the sun the better...

I hope England lose every game unless Ruddy makes an unlikely appearance... i am not indifferent to the England football team i wish them ill fortune... i am absolutely livid ...Fu(k You Woy Hogson Fu(k you [:@]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Looked very uncomfortable when being quizzed over the omission of Rio[/quote]

I listened to it on radio and it simply sounded like he was getting fed up with the same question.I know i was.Journalists,like dogs with a bone......

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I always thought that Green was never as good a keeper after being ''coached'' by Clemence. Message to Ruddy - ignore any tips that boring Clemence gives!!

I give up with England.[/quote] clemance is not a coach. He is the goal keeping scout.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]ok indy, I think calling for Hodgson to be sacked now is an over reaction because

1. We have not played a single game yet with him in charge, sacking him now would make us the laughing stock of world football[/quote]

This team selection has already made us a laughing stock.

[quote]Barry , Lampard and Gerrard play for some of the biggest teams in world football and are considered by their managers as vital parts of their team. they are not crappy, you may not rate them, but some important and experienced football managers do.[/quote]

I completely agree, put them together and it just doesn''t work. Lampard can''t play with Gerrard as they stifle each others best game, and Barry is simply a covering midfielder who needs top quality in front of him to take the focus of what he''s doing.

I wouldn''t have minded 1 of either Gerrard or Lampard going, but all three is a bit much.

[quote]Terry WAS a good defender, he would not play for and captian Chelsea football club if he were not.[/quote]

I''ve amended that one for you, as Terry has been bloody awful at times this season, and he has the court case hanging over him, neither quality you want near an England side, and part of the reason why he was stripped of the captaincy by the FA. Compare this to Rio who''s had a great season and doesn''t have the same ''issues'' as Terry and it''s a poor decision.

[quote]Downing / Lennon is my view is a mistake, but I dont think we should sack the manager over it[/quote]

And if it was just that one selection I could just about live with it (despite how shockingly bad Downing has been this season and previously for England), but it''s not about a single player selection, it''s about half a dozen player choices along with some glaring omissions.

[quote]Actually, I should of just stopped at point one, it was enough really wasnt it? really?[/quote]

Not really.

I''ve yet to come across an England fan who''s happy with this squad selection, and if this is any indication of the general view, then millions of England fans think Roy has dropped a total bollosh here, and managed to throw our already limited chances of victory straight into the dustbin.

Any manager who can''t see that players like Rio, Holty and Lennon are the form players, and who picks dross like Downing and the rest of the usual suspects, should expect a less than friendly reaction, and needs to be ready to justify these errors when it all goes teats up...

broadslim - if that''s not a sweeping statement, almost bordering on a "false certainty", that you have backed up with absolutely nothing, then I don''t know what is. I thought he handled the questions well and when the questions returned to Rio after he had already dealt with 10 minutes on the same topic (and the question already covered something he''d answered "presumably Rio was disappointed not to have been selected"- err, yes mr reporter, I said that three times 5 minutes ago), I thought he dealt with it very well.

I do think calling for him to be sacked is a bit harsh - for me Downing is a joke admittedly. But other than that, I''d perhaps have Carrick in over Barry, and Michah Richards over Glen Johnson. Terry/Ferdinand I think will have been much of a muchness, Terry to be fair looked very bad in the last month or so of the season, but not so terrible before that. But the rest is a fair enough squad selection in my opinion.

Unhinged - I suppose that''s fair enough, although I''d probably pick up on a point ginger makes in that, with the injuries to players like Wilshere and Rodwell etc. - would we have been left woefully short going for a purely young squad? Whilst there would have perhaps been less pressure on a young side, if they had gone out there and drawn 1 lost 2 it could be very damaging to their England futures with the reaction back home, not to mention Hodgsons position as manager.

I''m willing to see how it goes at the Euros. I expect we''ll limp out of the group stage and not much further. I think I''ll base my real judgement on how he goes about the world cup qualifiers side.

Really disappointed Andy "4 premiership goals" Carroll got called up instead of 15 goal hero Holt. Is it me or has Hodgson filled his England squad with a tonne of Liverpool no-hopers (Johnson, Downing, Carroll, with Henderson on standy-by), none of whome had a good season?

I also think the omission of Crouch is a bit of a shocker, taking Defoe instead who failed at the World Cup in 2010. Also Danny Wellbeck only scored 9 goals in 30 appearances for Man Utd last season, hardly prolific in a side which creates a tonne of goal scoring chances. Really underwhelming stuff in our strikers. I can see us going out in the group stages as without Rooney, where are the goals going to come from?

These players are more ''brands'' than anything else these days and a place in the England team means more sponsorship and more off the pitch income. This has been Beckham''s business ploy for years and it''s kept him in the limelight long after he should have moved aside. Needless to say the FA benefit from these ''stars'' also.Very disappointed with Hodgson''s gutless performance and I fear another grey man has been put in place to do the FA''s bidding. Come on down Steve McLaren mark II.