Sign in to follow this  
SWP = Poor Mans Ruel Fox!!

Lambert not interested in Villa? from the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/16/kenny-dalglish-liverpool-sacking-contenders

Article in the Guardian talking about Dalglish''s possible successor, but interesting section on Lambert, including

"has already been widely linked with the vacancy at Aston Villa but is not thought to be interested in taking over at the Midlands club"

Thanks for the link, I`d like to believe they have some insider knowledge but suspect they know about as much as we do.

It''s far from a certainty that PL will leave and I suspect much of our angst is based on past experience whereby whatever we had which was worth having got taken away by bigger clubs.It''s a deep wound.

This is the sort of analysis I like, Lambert getting credit for his qualities but low enough down the list only to be considered an outsider.

However....my gut still tells me that a move to Villa is a very real possibility.Why? Well, Lambert is astute enough to realise that repeating this year''s achievements with us next year would be a real struggle, therefore he will perceive that his stock may well be peaking at the moment and that were he to wait another year, he might not be such a ''hot property'' and therefore not be seriously considered for similar roles.

[quote user="Smokebomb"]Thanks for the link, I`d like to believe they have some insider knowledge but suspect they know about as much as we do.
[/quote]

If anyone is going to have inside information on the situation at Aston Villa it''s the Villa correspondent of the Birmingham Mail or Pat Murphy, the BBC''s man in the Midlands. So far the Mail''s reporter has said nothing about Lambert not being interested, and neither, as far as I can see, has Murphy.

What the Mail reporter has said, which has obviously come from his off the record contacts at Villa Park, is that they do not want a director of football overseeing the new manager.

"Villa hope the structure will suit their targets, who are known to be young and hungry bosses keen to stamp their own philosophy rather than consulting a senior football figure."

A description that fits Lambert, and some others.

[quote user="dpit"]This is the sort of analysis I like, Lambert getting credit for his qualities but low enough down the list only to be considered an outsider. However....my gut still tells me that a move to Villa is a very real possibility.Why? Well, Lambert is astute enough to realise that repeating this year''s achievements with us next year would be a real struggle, therefore he will perceive that his stock may well be peaking at the moment and that were he to wait another year, he might not be such a ''hot property'' and therefore not be seriously considered for similar roles.[/quote]

Spot on dpit - thats why I think it''s a ''done deal'' that PL will leave (if he has''nt already). Mind you there has been over 48 hours of ''silence'' since McLeish was culled with precious little by way of rumour (even on the Villa forums). Whether the lack of movement (public anyway) is a good thing for us or not is a hard one to call.

Maybe they are looking at others, maybe PL and the clubs are quietly negotiating terms with an announcement soon?? Who knows.  

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="dpit"]This is the sort of analysis I like, Lambert getting credit for his qualities but low enough down the list only to be considered an outsider. However....my gut still tells me that a move to Villa is a very real possibility.Why? Well, Lambert is astute enough to realise that repeating this year''s achievements with us next year would be a real struggle, therefore he will perceive that his stock may well be peaking at the moment and that were he to wait another year, he might not be such a ''hot property'' and therefore not be seriously considered for similar roles.[/quote]

Spot on dpit - thats why I think it''s a ''done deal'' that PL will leave (if he has''nt already). Mind you there has been over 48 hours of ''silence'' since McLeish was culled with precious little by way of rumour (even on the Villa forums). Whether the lack of movement (public anyway) is a good thing for us or not is a hard one to call.

Maybe they are looking at others, maybe PL and the clubs are quietly negotiating terms with an announcement soon?? Who knows.  

[/quote]

But, you can just as easily argue that surviving in the Prem on limited resources makes one even more of a hot property.  The obvious example is Martinez whose stock has improved after successive brushes with relegation.   Also, if Lambert has any faith at all in his abilities, he will look at his squad with a season''s Prem experience behind it, look at the hugely promising youngsters he has signed who can only get better and the chance to sign more players and feel he can match this season''s efforts.   I really cannot see anything that says this is or should be a done deal.

I''m sure that Lambert, himself, would admit to last year being a  learning curve for him, the players and the club. I think there were times where he got it wrong (squad selection, tactics etc.) but overall, he, the club and the players got it right as they stayed up! i.e. The first 5 games they played, they gave away a penalty every game. They soon addressed that but obviously lost out on 2 points (as few as that?) which is 2 league places.

[quote user="dpit"]Lambert is astute enough to realise that repeating this year''s achievements with us next year would be a real struggle, therefore he will perceive that his stock may well be peaking at the moment and that were he to wait another year, he might not be such a ''hot property'' and therefore not be seriously considered for similar roles.[/quote]I disagree. We have already the basis of an excellent squad. Players like Elliot Bennet, Pilkington, Tierney, Fox, Surman, Ruddy, Morison and Martin will improve next year after finding their feet in the PL this season.Likewise, Howson & Ryan Bennett who have already shown enough to demonstrate that they can be excellent PL players.Furthermore we should get at least one more good season from Holt & Hoolahan.Add to all that 2 or 3 astute new signings & personally I think we''ll be fine. Of course, if Lambert does stay & proves himself again next season, then he really will be a "hot property"

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

It is always going to be tough in the EPL, next year wont be any different, I think that we are overplaying this "second season" effect a bit though, we have a good squad which will be strengthened over the summer. We should be stronger next season. Teams that have struggled in their  second season have been "worked out " by the opposition, thats certainly not the case with us cos we can play so many different formations and personnel, even the players dont know how we are going to set up until before the game. Yes we had a few blips, but we finished strongly and can kick on from here next season,  Lambert knows a bit more himself now about the EPL and the opposition so that should be working in our favour not against us.I think we can definately improve our position next season and I dont believe that Lambert should consider he has taken us as far as we can go, far from it. The important thing is that he feels confident that he will be backed, he knows the financial position of the club and will have his own realistic expectation of what can be put into the playing budget, so long as the Board are able and willing to deliver that then I think he will be happy to give it another season,what he would not do is sacrifice his growing reputation if he not going to be given what he expects. 

roberto martinez is now better thought of ..because he managed to keep wigan in the epl.....so lambert can increase his value by doing the same .....does not look the same risk as going to Villa and failing .