Sign in to follow this  
technika

culverhouse

should the unthinkable happen and lambert decide enough is enough and does a runner, do you think culverhouse would go with him again or do you think he would want to stay if offered the managers job?would you want him ? think he would do a decent job myself, would be a good choice in terms of stability and would take him over the likes of bruce/mccarthy/hughton/coyle etc

Difficult to know. I think Culverhouse would be a great tactician if given the manager''s job. Depends how much he wants to be a number 1, some coaches seem to be happier being no.2 - Peter Grant springs to mind although his recent cv has hardly been blessed with success. Lee Clark obviously couldn''t wait to go it alone and escape the Rodent''s claws - couldn''t really blame him and harshly treated by Huddersfield subsequently. Bowen also happy as assistant, even when linked to Ncfc job in the past. I would be happy if Cully was boss as he is probably responsible for at least 50% of what Lambert has achieved. But I would be happier to keep the current set up for longer.

I hate these sort of posts. But culverhouse has a connection to the club and it comes across that he has a big influence on a lot of things. So maybe just maybe he has a little influence in Lambert staying at our great club being a player from a golden time

I have no special information on what Culverhouse would do, but I suspect that he would leave if Lambert left. There seems to be a tendency for people to work as teams and to stay loyal to one another in football. Look at Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen. There are a couple of exceptions, but most of those are ex assistants to Sir Alex Ferguson, and most have failed elsewhere.

If I remember rightly, Brown, Stringer and Walker were all promoted from within so it can work, and wasn''t Worthington acting as No2 when Hamilton got chopped? The Liverpool model of the 70s and 80s also showed it is possible.

I do agree though that the pressure on managers these days means they often work as a team so for "paul lambert" read "paul lambert & co" and splitting up the team can be as bad for the manager as the No2.

My worry with IC is that although he was a great defender for us the defence has been pretty poor for all 3 of the PL seasons and we show few signs of turning it round. Until we do that and get more stability at the back there will be a limit on what we can achieve as it puts too much pressure on the forwards. 

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

If I remember rightly, Brown, Stringer and Walker were all promoted from within so it can work, and wasn''t Worthington acting as No2 when Hamilton got chopped? The Liverpool model of the 70s and 80s also showed it is possible.

I do agree though that the pressure on managers these days means they often work as a team so for "paul lambert" read "paul lambert & co" and splitting up the team can be as bad for the manager as the No2.

My worry with IC is that although he was a great defender for us the defence has been pretty poor for all 3 of the PL seasons and we show few signs of turning it round. Until we do that and get more stability at the back there will be a limit on what we can achieve as it puts too much pressure on the forwards. 

[/quote]

To be fair though, one of the reasons we have been so successful under Lambert is our ''go for broke'' approach to attacking - throwing men forward, which gives us a much greater chance of scoring. This of course leaves us exposed at the back. Throw in the fact our defenders are not all Premiership class (Ward for example is a classic example of a Championship standard clogger playing in a league beyond his natural ability) then we''re always going to struggle defensively.

When we have deliberately played defensively though (such as V Chelsea last season when we got a 0-0 draw) our defence was solid enough. It''s a question of balance and tactics.

I have no doubt that if Culverhouse chose to stay and take on the manager''s role here he''d make a great success of it ... Lambo has spoken on countless occasions on how much he relies and values Culvehouse''s tactical nous.

However (and I have absolutely no inside knowledge whatsoever) I''m fairly sure that Lambert would insist on taking Culverhouse and Karsa with him ... in his eyes they are very much a team, and are as valuable to him as the team ethic he preaches on the pitch.

Culverhouse also strikes me as a very private man who would enjoy even less than Lambert the glare of publicity that accompanies the job.

Anyway ... what are we talking about this for ... the whole thread is irrelevant ... Lambo is going nowhere! *crosses everything*

OTBC

I reckon Culverhouse will go with Lambert when they leave as they are The Three Muskateers.What is wrong with being an excellent, efficient and knowlegeable Number 2?Some people are born to lead, others are born to give the orders and the rest follow them.

If it ain''t broke don''t fix it.......Culverhouse will stay teamed up with PL and share in their joint success.

I think it was Paul McVeigh who said on one of the Canary Calls that when he spoke to Lambert for an interview he was doing for Radio Norfolk, Lambert said Culverhouse does pretty much all of the tactics during a game because Lambert gets so caught up in the pressure of the game shouting encouragement and such things to his players that Culverhouse just stands back and analyses everything.  He said Culverhouse is usually the one who tells Lambert about the tactical changes to make during the game and suggests who to bring as a sub and that when ever Culverhouse suggests something Lambert never questions him and tells him to go for it.

So maybe Culverhouse is cut out to be a manager but I think that at this moment in time considering how good of a prospect Lambert seems to be he would be silly not to stay with Lambert.

"Ward for example is a classic example of a Championship standard clogger playing in a league beyond his natural ability"That I would have to totally dispute. For all his perceived faults Ward is not a clogger, far from it. His method is to read the game and make the timely challenge, something he does superbly, The only problem is if he is not first to the ball he has no chance of catching the opponent. It is this lack of pace that has left him so cruelly exposed, so many times.You get very few chances to redeem yourself against Premier League players.As to the second man stepping up that is all too often done when the manager has been sacked and the number 2 is left holding the fort so to speak. The damage is already done and it is a case of if you can fix it great, if not it was going to crash anyway.