Sign in to follow this  
pete

Why wouldn't Lambert go to Villa

Perhaps a few reasons:

Villa fans vilification of McLeish this season.

Martin O''Neill''s analysis re whats wrong at Villa.

Lack of investment by current Board.

Current Boards Football acumen e.g. appointment of McLeish.

Current squad they may have promising youngsters but limited experience.  How long will Bent stay (not a good track record there!).

Is the move a really significant step in PL''s career, looks a tough job to me where longevity for managers may not be a feature of the job.

A second season keeping City in the Prem would be significant entry on PL''s CV.

Hope you read this Paul and see you next season perhaps.  Everton a far more likely promising job opp.

I don''t think you have to look any further than MON''s experience.He was promised more than he got,hassle with owners and then after all that had trouble getting the money that was owed to him.

MoN will paint a very dark picture,as they are very good friends there is no chance Sir Paul will take the job.

[quote user="pete"]

Perhaps a few reasons:

Current squad they may have promising youngsters but limited experience.  How long will Bent stay (not a good track record there!).

Is the move a really significant step in PL''s career, looks a tough job to me where longevity for managers may not be a feature of the job.

A second season keeping City in the Prem would be significant entry on PL''s CV.

Hope you read this Paul and see you next season perhaps.  Everton a far more likely promising job opp.

[/quote]

Spot on.

Personally I think Lambert would be made to take the job. Villa are relegation fodder without mammoth investment before the start of next season. They have a thin squad with too many inexperienced youngsters, who whatever their potential, will struggle in the Premiership week in week out. I think Villa have a tonne of debt too, and the owners are looking to cut it down. So the future is not rosy for Villa in the short term.

Saying all of that, money talks. If Villa offer to double Lambert''s salary, and give him a nice fat 4 year deal, then it''d be very tempting to go I''m sure. It might be worth the risk of Villa going down given the rewards on offer, and if he did do an incredible job and keep them up, then more kudos for his CV.

Whilst your criticisms if Villa are largely accurate you must admit that 99% of the football world would agree that Aston Villa are a more prestigious club than Norwich and that most likely includes Paul Lambert too.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

Personally I think Lambert would be made to take the job. [/quote]

I''m guessing you meant to say "Lambert would be mad to take the job".  Oh for an edit button.

Agree 100%.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Whilst your criticisms if Villa are largely accurate you must admit that 99% of the football world would agree that Aston Villa are a more prestigious club than Norwich and that most likely includes Paul Lambert too.[/quote]However prestige counts for jack sit as recent league tables will testify. I sure Nott''m Forest is a more prestigious club than Brighton but it counts for little if that prestige is based on ground size. past achievements etc. The determining factors are what have been outlined above. The club is a shambles with little in the way of direction, something that a change of manager alone will not alter. The better players have had to be sold and whilst there is potential as in a large fan base, that alone is not enough, otherwise Derby and both Sheffields along with Forest would still be in the Premier League. I doubt very much a highly successful manager, at a highly successful club would see jumping on board a sinking ship simply because it is more prestigious as part of remaining highly successful. After all, the lifeboats and the ''rescue'' boat were much smaller than the Titanic. I don''t remember there being any tales of people trying to clamber up onto the Titanic.

There is also the likelihood he would be asked to run the playing staff on a much smaller budget than currently which would mean buying players from below the Premier League..By Lambert''s own admission, all the best ones are now Premier League players with Norwich.

[quote user="pete"]

Perhaps a few reasons:

[/quote]I think you''re being a bit unfair there, understandably though in the circumstances.Villa fans vilification of McLeish this season. : We didn''t want McLeish at the club although with his style of his football, or rather absence of it, I''d be surprised if anyone wanted him at their club. The media kept on about it being because of his blues connections but the truth is we saw exactly how his teams played over the city and while we don''t expect to see Villa playing like Brazil we do like to see Villa try to win games, not try to draw every game. He didn''t get any abuse at games, apart from a few chants at Wigan away, until the home game with Bolton. Then the whole ground turned on him. Quite simply enough was enough.We played some games, notably away at Spurs, against Liverpool twice, Arsenal away, when there was no attempt to win the game. Spurs away was a 2-0 defeat but it was the most one sided game I''ve ever seen. We finished off with only four wins at home ''beating'' the preevious record of five (1890 when there were only eleven home games), the lowest goals scored in a season, the lowest points total in the Prem, plus other equally damning records.We had key injuries but only in the second half of the season and we didn''t play any better, or any more attacking, before these injuries.Martin O''Neill''s analysis re whats wrong at Villa.:  MON and Randy Lerner are still friendly, the dispute was more with Paul Faulkner and MON.  Only they really know what the issue was. It seems most likely either to do with the transfer fees for Milner or Ireland coming as part exchange that triggered it. I''m sure he''d give Paul Lambert an honest assessment but I doubt it''d be all negative. Also I doubt Paul Lambert would accept or reject a job purely on someone elses opinion, he wouldn''t be much of a manager if he did.

Lack of investment by current Board & Current Boards Football acumen e.g. appointment of McLeish. ; Under MON Villa invested a lot of money. The problem was wages were eventually just above 80% of income so they had to be cut back. Even so we still signed Bent for big money under Houllier and even McLeish had money to spend on N''Zogbia and Hutton this season.

A number of high earners are off the books and signs are that while we won''t be spending as much as under MONs reign we will be strengthening the squad for the new season. Getting McLeish was just a undeniably bad appointment and what there

reasoning was I''d love to know. However the board have admitted their

mistake and I''m sure will have learnt from it.

looks a tough job to me where longevity for managers may not be a feature of the job.: MON was there for four years before he walked out. Houllier had to leave for health reasons so it was nobodys fault that his tenure at Villa was a short one. One of the things they''ve said about the new manager is they want stability and a manger who wants to build something at Villa, hence the desire for someone young and vibrant. 

It''s all probably academic anway as there is definitely something happening in Norway as Randys jet, minus Randy who has flown into Birmingham, has gone to Kristianstund and is due back tomorrow. So it''s looking increasing likely that Ole Gunnar Solksjaer is going to be our new manager.

Hopefully it''ll all be sorted soon and you can all enjoy your summer, without the worry about losing your manager, and can look forward to another successful season.

According to one of the Villa boards, there was some kind of contact but it was taking too long for PL/Agent/NCFC to get back to them so they moved on to Solksjaer.  Also states on there the new Manager will be given £8million + half the income from player sales to spend in advance of next season.

So bearing in mind that Bowkett said at the dinner on Monday there would be £10million extra in the pot here next season, it could well be that he''s been made aware of this by his agent, looked at what they have, looked at what we have here and thought he was better off staying put

All messageboard gossip I know, but the money bit seems plausible given there reported debt

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Whilst your criticisms if Villa are largely accurate you must admit that 99% of the football world would agree that Aston Villa are a more prestigious club than Norwich and that most likely includes Paul Lambert too.[/quote]

However prestige counts for jack sit as recent league tables will testify. I sure Nott''m Forest is a more prestigious club than Brighton but it counts for little if that prestige is based on ground size. past achievements etc.

The determining factors are what have been outlined above. The club is a shambles with little in the way of direction, something that a change of manager alone will not alter. The better players have had to be sold and whilst there is potential as in a large fan base, that alone is not enough, otherwise Derby and both Sheffields along with Forest would still be in the Premier League.

I doubt very much a highly successful manager, at a highly successful club would see jumping on board a sinking ship simply because it is more prestigious as part of remaining highly successful. After all, the lifeboats and the ''rescue'' boat were much smaller than the Titanic. I don''t remember there being any tales of people trying to clamber up onto the Titanic.

[/quote]

Glasgow Rangers are the Titanic - not Villa!

"looked at what we have here and thought he was better off staying put"I would hardly think that would play much of a partit would be more the whole set up, prospects etc

[quote user="goonuppersee"]

According to one of the Villa boards, there was some kind of contact but it was taking too long for PL/Agent/NCFC to get back to them so they moved on to Solksjaer.  Also states on there the new Manager will be given £8million + half the income from player sales to spend in advance of next season.

So bearing in mind that Bowkett said at the dinner on Monday there would be £10million extra in the pot here next season, it could well be that he''s been made aware of this by his agent, looked at what they have, looked at what we have here and thought he was better off staying put

All messageboard gossip I know, but the money bit seems plausible given there reported debt.

[/quote]I''ve seen that post as well but how they''d have such an exact idea of what Villa will spend is a mystery. The thing with Villas debt is that it''s to the Lerner Trust so it''s basically Lerner lending money to himself. He''s said before that if the right players available he''ll spend but the wages issue was something that was vital to control.Whether he''s talked to Norwich or not I''ve no idea just the same speculation that everyones seen. Neither club has even said if there''s been an enquiry from Villa.I think it''ll all look clearer after the weekend as I know the information regarding the plane movements and Lerner flying into Birmingham is 100% trustworthy.

"I''ve seen that post as well but how they''d have such an exact idea of what Villa will spend is a mystery"More of a mystery is why so many are so willing to swallow such old guff. Other than club accounts all the rest is confidential yet the witless will make all manner of worthless pronouncements based on such imagined nonsense.Shame there isn''t some way of making money from them, bar running a rumours website or publishing the Sun

Well Villa PArk is looking rather old and drab these days. I hear that the bathrooms are in major need of a freshen up too.

" I hear that the bathrooms"

you are BBB and I claim my £5