Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Liverpool approach Martinez

i don''t get the hype over him, but if he goes liverpool think i might have a little bet on benitez to villa

Anyone that can keep Wigan in the premier league on the budget they have deserves a shot at the ''big time'' club. Remember though, if he''s not a success (ie he gets the sack before winning anything) he''ll never get another shot at a ''big'' club

I Really dont get all this hype over Martinez, teams cue-ing up for him last season after he barely scraped relegation, and again this season they only stayed up due to last 4/5 games, when you look at the team who played us at Carrow Road he has some very fit strong skillful players (probably more natural footballers than us) I''m sure Lambert would have had them top half! - I''ll give him 9 months!

TBH he cant do alot worse than Hodgson and King Kenny. He has done great just keeping Wigan up with the big boys. Comes across as a fellah who is confident, does not panic, rant and rave and is good with the media, Another thing needed at a big club.

Who cares? As long as Kenny''s replacement is from a club who are unlikely to poach Lambert, it''s fine with me. [:D]

Sky Sports now reporting that their sources tell them that "Liverpool will approach a number of candidates", so Martinez by no means has the job yet.

[quote user="spudgfsh"]Anyone that can keep Wigan in the premier league on the budget they have deserves a shot at the ''big time'' club. [/quote]I think that may be a big part of his being wanted and why Dagliesh was no longer wanted. Dagleish spunked an awful lot of money away with no real sign of building a decent squad for last season, or the future either.He will join the ''elephants graveyard'' of ex player manager failures - Peter Read, Steve Bruce, Roy Keane, Paul Ince etc who it is unlikely will be wanted again

I think Martinez is a good manger, very tactically astute, likes to play nice football. Wigan on their day are very nice to watch, i think the problem is consistency and with the players he has had at his disposal, it is quite hard to achieve. At a team with much more financial clout and technically gifted players, he could do very well i think.I like the 3 5 2 or the occasional 3 4 3 he likes to play, just a shame we cannot replicate it effectively

[quote user="City1st"]He will join the ''elephants graveyard'' of ex player manager failures - Peter Read, Steve Bruce, Roy Keane, Paul Ince etc who it is unlikely will be wanted again

[/quote]TBF, he was also a successful ex-manager.

If Martinez goes to Liverpool I wouldn''t be surprised to see Victor Moses follow him.

Wigan picked up form and played a lot better starting with their game against us, where in hindsight a draw was not a bad result.  They lost 2 of their last 11 and actually topped the form table for the final 9 games! It was a dramatic and pretty impressive fundamental turnaround in form which included the scalps of Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle and Arsenal -

1 Wigan 9 7 0 2 17-8 9 21 3-3-3-0-3-3-0-3-3
2 Man City 9 6 2 1 22-8 14 20 3-3-3-3-3-3-0-1-1
3 Everton 9 5 4 0 22-8 14 19 3-1-1-3-1-3-1-3-3
4 Man Utd 9 6 1 2 16-6 10 19 3-3-0-1-3-0-3-3-3
5 Newcastle 9 6 0 3 15-10 5 18 0-0-3-0-3-3-3-3-3
6 Fulham 9 5 1 3 11-11 0 16 0-3-3-0-3-1-3-3-0
7 Tottenham 9 4 3 2 13-6 7 15 3-1-3-3-0-0-1-3-1
8 Arsenal 9 4 3 2 16-10 6 15 3-1-1-1-0-3-3-0-3
9 Chelsea 9 4 3 2 16-12 4 15 3-0-0-3-1-1-3-3-1
10 QPR 9 4 0 5 11-16 -5 12 0-3-0-3-0-3-0-3-0
11 W.B.A. 9 3 2 4 10-14 -4 11 0-1-1-3-3-0-3-0-0
12 Norwich 9 3 2 4 13-20 -7 11 3-1-0-0-0-3-1-0-3
13 Liverpool 9 3 1 5 12-11 1 10 0-3-0-3-0-3-1-0-0
14 Bolton 9 2 4 3 13-19 -6 10 1-1-0-1-3-1-0-0-3
15 Sunderland 9 1 5 3 9-13 -4 8 0-0-1-1-1-0-1-1-3
16 Stoke 9 1 5 3 8-13 -5 8 1-0-1-1-0-1-3-0-1
17 Swansea 9 2 2 5 10-17 -7 8 3-0-1-1-3-0-0-0-0
18 Aston Villa 9 0 5 4 6-15 -9 5 0-1-1-0-1-0-1-1-0
19 Wolves 9 0 3 6 10-19 -9 3 0-1-1-0-1-0-0-0-0
20 Blackburn 9 1 0 8 6-18 -12 3 0-0-0-3-0-0-0-0-0

Brendan Rodgers has turned down an approach from Liverpool.

A little worried now. If they have Martinez and Rodgers on their shortlist then I''d bet my house on Lambert being on there too.

Guess we''ll find out today.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

A little worried now. If they have Martinez and Rodgers on their shortlist then I''d bet my house on Lambert being on there too.

[/quote]

Clever move by Rodgers, he knows that he is very unlikely to get the job and it is a little unseemly for all these managers to trapse off to Anfield vying for a job. Would also get him in trouble with the Swansea fans and board if he appeared to be looking for a move.

I would imagine Lambert would say the same to be honest, but not 100% confident on that.

Someone like AVB or Luis Enrique will probably end up with the job and all those who went for interviews will look a little silly.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

Clever move by Rodgers, he knows that he is very unlikely to get the job and it is a little unseemly for all these managers to trapse off to Anfield vying for a job. Would also get him in trouble with the Swansea fans and board if he appeared to be looking for a move.

I would imagine Lambert would say the same to be honest, but not 100% confident on that.

Someone like AVB or Luis Enrique will probably end up with the job and all those who went for interviews will look a little silly.

[/quote]

It is a strange way for a big club to deal with recruitment.  Am not sure the likes of AVB or anyone with a decent pedigree will be interested in taking part, especially (as BYG states) most managers with current jobs that would not want to burn bridges at their current club with no guarantee of getting the post.  Of course Martinez has nothing to lose as Wigan doesnt have any fans to upset lol.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Who cares? As long as Kenny''s replacement is from a club who are unlikely to poach Lambert, it''s fine with me. [:D][/quote]Indeed.The more time goes on the more I think PL will be here for the start of next season at least. I don''t think any of the clubs who are currently managerless would suit him with his limited experience in the top flight, except Everton maybe.I think Celtic might be his next move if Lennon was removed..... so let''s just hope they carry on doing well.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Who cares? As long as Kenny''s replacement is from a club who are unlikely to poach Lambert, it''s fine with me. [:D]
[/quote]

Indeed.

The more time goes on the more I think PL will be here for the start of next season at least. I don''t think any of the clubs who are currently managerless would suit him with his limited experience in the top flight, except Everton maybe.

I think Celtic might be his next move if Lennon was removed..... so let''s just hope they carry on doing well.
[/quote]

Is this despite the amount of times Lambert has specifically said he has no interest in managing in Scotland?

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"] I think Celtic might be his next move if Lennon was removed..... so let''s just hope they carry on doing well.[/quote]Celtic carry on doing well?It''s a one Club league now that Rangers have gone pear shaped so I can''t see anything but Celtic "doing well". Can''t see Lambert being remotely interested in being in such an uncompetitive league.

Just on Brendan Rogers, is it only me that thinks he is highly over-rated?

People seem to forget that much of the team and definately the tactics and ethos at Swansea were established by Martinez! He has just picked up on it and ran with it. A few times this season (including against us) he has proved his inability to change things about!

He probably turned down the chance to talk to Liverpool because he knows he couldn''t do the job!!! [;)]

[quote user="farley"]

Just on Brendan Rogers, is it only me that thinks he is highly over-rated?

People seem to forget that much of the team and definately the tactics and ethos at Swansea were established by Martinez! He has just picked up on it and ran with it. A few times this season (including against us) he has proved his inability to change things about!

He probably turned down the chance to talk to Liverpool because he knows he couldn''t do the job!!! [;)]

[/quote]

I do agree to a certain extent.  I feel Swansea are a team under threat of being ''found out'' and struggling in the second season as much, if not more, than us.

We''ll see what happens shall we?None of us knows and this whole PL thing is just sheer speculation.