Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Holt or Lambert?

Hmmm - if you can keep either lambert or holt who do you chose?

PL for me.

Lambert every single time for me. Holt has scored 15 goals this season. There are plenty of other players who can do that. Not so many managers who can do the same job as Lambert can (although there are managers who can do, so if Lambert goes I''m still not going to go to panic stations either).

[quote user="safri_free_kick"]Lambert, if I had to pick one. Knowing him he''ll find another Holt (Rhodes maybe?), plus Holt''s only got a year left on his contract anyway.
[/quote]

If only it was that easy. I suggest people take a closer look at Holt''s record for us rather than the bare stat of 17 goals.

The answer to your question Zip is both. But if I can''t have both then I honestly don''t know.

I reckon Holty wants to secure his future. This close season could see his stock at it''s highest point. I reckon Norwich should try and secure his future here with an improved contract.

Lambert without a shadow of doubt.Lambert has made Holt the player he is and if Holt chooses to leave then Lambert will find a replacement.

[quote user="safri_free_kick"]Lambert, if I had to pick one. Knowing him he''ll find another Holt (Rhodes maybe?), plus Holt''s only got a year left on his contract anyway.
[/quote]

He wouldn''t FIND rhodes as most teams know about him.

Finding players who are unheard of is what lambert is about.

[quote user="whoareyou"]Lambert without a shadow of doubt.

Lambert has made Holt the player he is and if Holt chooses to leave then Lambert will find a replacement.
[/quote]

It could also be argued that Holt helped take Lambert to the manager he is. I saw a great hat-trick from Holty before Lambert set foot in our managers office. I really don''t see the point of this either or argument. Or has Lambert said "if Holt stays I''m off"?

Didn''t GH sign new 3 tear contract in 2011, 2 years to go.

[quote user="pete"]Didn''t GH sign new 3 tear contract in 2011, 2 years to go.[/quote]

I thought that too. I wouldnt keep a player who wants to leave but i guess it depends on what reason he has for wanting to go whether you say no you have to stay. I could see Lambert saying to him we''ve had a cheeky bid from such and such team and we''ve rejected it, Holts then might have said but i fancy that move. On the upside there''s been plenty of instances of players saying they want to leave then staying, Rooney for one.

If the choice had to be made, Lambert every time.

Obviously don''t want either of them to go, but a goalscorer is going to be easier to replace than Lambert. What Holty has done is fantastic, and we won''t find a player to replicate that, but we''ve scored goals and played well without Holt on the pitch. And if we sold him for £4+ million we could replace him with someone like Rhodes, maybe Rodriguez if Burnley realise he''s not worth £8 million.

But until Holt does leave, i''m going to still believe he''s going to stay here.

Lambert all day long.  Holt will be finished as a Premier League player in 2/3 years time whereas Lambert could be with us for longer if we can match his ambitions such as expand the stadium to raise the playing budget.

Lambert. Easy.

Holt has been outstanding, but living in Nottingham, I remember his time at Forest. Its a cliche, but Lambert gets performances out of players which other managers can''t.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I reckon Holty wants to secure his future. This close season could see his stock at it''s highest point. I reckon Norwich should try and secure his future here with an improved contract.

[/quote]

A reasonable point, Nutty. But if there''s anything in this idea (and I agree there may well be something like this lurking about at the bottom of it), we''re going down a VERY dangerous path if we start effectively letting individuals hold the club to ransom over wages/contracts etc. Lambert and Mc Nally have spent a lot of time developing a team ethic based on a sound wage structure. To deviate substantially from that is foolhardy, whatever fans'' perceptions of GH are.

But, on the other hand Eric, isn''t it the case that any team outside of the top 3 or 4 really are always going to be liable to being held at ransom if a player is good enough to move elsewhere? If another team is going to want him, then that player can always say give me more money or I''ll go.

You don''t want to deviate from the wage structure and team ethic we''ve set up, but on the other hand you surely can''t just allow your best players to leave because you refuse to pay them more money (if you can afford to up their wages). Of course this again depends on how much the player is demanding, but in many ways I''d rather we took a slightly more flexible approach and at least negotiated the ''ransom demands'' rather than losing all of our best players.

(For the record, I think we are in a stronger position than that in this instance, as Holt''s age and his relative lack of top flight football probably means there aren''t going to be too many clubs willing to take that chance on him.)

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

A reasonable point, Nutty. But if there''s anything in this idea (and I agree there may well be something like this lurking about at the bottom of it), we''re going down a VERY dangerous path if we start effectively letting individuals hold the club to ransom over wages/contracts etc. Lambert and Mc Nally have spent a lot of time developing a team ethic based on a sound wage structure. To deviate substantially from that is foolhardy, whatever fans'' perceptions of GH are.

[/quote]

To be fair we''re all just guessing. But in fairness a year ago it was widely considered that Holt wasn''t Premier League class. That doubt has been dispelled and it could be the club are about to sign proven Premier players on more money.

Ifs, buts, could bes and maybes.....

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be fair we''re all just guessing. But in fairness a year ago it was widely considered that Holt wasn''t Premier League class. That doubt has been dispelled and it could be the club are about to sign proven Premier players on more money.

Ifs, buts, could bes and maybes.....