Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

GRANT HOLT?!?!?!? WTF?!??!!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]If this is true then Holt is stupid. He might get a big pay deal but he''ll struggle to hold down a reqular place at a larger club. Then in 18 monts or so he will be linked to championship clubs on loan. If he stays here he prolong his career, and stand more chance of staying at the top for longer.[/quote]

You must not forget most footballers are Greedy, and it''s us the fans that pay for that greed, Holt would probably still be in League 1 or 2 if it wasn''t for Norwich and Lambert, so the loyalty can be repaid but it doesn''t it''s all about ME ME and ME

I just spoke to an agent (not Holt''s I might add) and I have been told that the issue is that Holt asked for more money and was told no. IF this is er, on the money - which I suspect it is, I think he''s well within his rights to ask for more. I am also sure that he is well aware other clubs would take him.

[quote user="The Chirp"]I just spoke to an agent (not Holt''s I might add) and I have been told that the issue is that Holt asked for more money and was told no.

IF this is er, on the money - which I suspect it is, I think he''s well within his rights to ask for more.

I am also sure that he is well aware other clubs would take him.

[/quote]

Well in that case i hope the clu see''s sense and offer him more cash. His last contract was agreed when we were in the champs, he may have had a rise in line with promotion too but he''s been a major part in extending our stay in the prem. He''s had a very succesful year therfore Iagre he deserves an improvement to his contract

I certainly have no problem him asking for more - but it does sound rather mercenary to ask for more money and then lob in a transfer request when it is turned down, particularly when you consider how plenty of people are struggling to make ends meet. He was more than happy to sign a 3-year contract extension last summer and I doubt he is poorly paid by any measure.

A mate just text me saying that Lambert hit him during HT at the Newcastle game and he''s wanted to leave ever since?...

Don''t shoot the messenger.. That sounds ridiculous, but so random where do rumours like that come from?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I certainly have no problem him asking for more - but it does sound rather mercenary to ask for more money and then lob in a transfer request when it is turned down, particularly when you consider how plenty of people are struggling to make ends meet. He was more than happy to sign a 3-year contract extension last summer and I doubt he is poorly paid by any measure.[/quote]Exactly my thoughts BP.I agree that an increase in wages is probably a fair request after such a good season, but to then ask to leave when denied is a hard line to take.But let''s also be fair here and say that no-one knows for sure what''s happened here, and it would be horribly unfair to draw poor assumptions or criticise Grant without knowing the actual facts.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Just found this on the BBC Norfolk site --

Grant Holt signs three-year Norwich City contract

Norwich City top scorer Grant Holt has signed a three-year deal, keeping him at Carrow Road until 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/12987728

[/quote]But you know as well as I do SC that it''s meaningless......he might just as well have signed one for three days for all the good they are in keeping players who want to move.From our point of view we''re gutted but from a 31 year old''s point of view with perhaps one unexpected good pay day to come he''ll be thinking differently. He''s got three small kids to think about and he''s not from this neck of the woods. At the end of the day he''s a NCFC employee, albeit a very high profile one. If City can get a good price for a player who''s age is against him and he''s still got two years worth of '' value '' in a contract then we''ll just have to say thanks for everything, goodbye and good luck. A move for him now will probably secure him financially and I''m pretty sure we''d all seriously consider doing it ourselves. He certainly won''t be looking to having to go back to tyre fitting when he retires.......

[quote user="AndyCanary"]A mate just text me saying that Lambert hit him during HT at the Newcastle game and he''s wanted to leave ever since?...

Don''t shoot the messenger.. That sounds ridiculous, but so random where do rumours like that come from?[/quote]

Is random, had a black eye though after Wigan game. Thought he got it in that game...

Dunno just teasing. But not the content, calm camp we''ve been used to is it?

Reminds me of Rooney in a sense? All this crap about how he is loving it, kids happy, new house, family happy, player of the season, legend, scoring, playing. Seems very very strange to me. Why isn''t it easy to support this club?!?!?!?!?

Simon Thomas on twitter:

@SimonThomasSky

On the Grant Holt front I can confirm that it is not because there is an approach from another club. Make of that what you will. #NCFC

Looks like he wants more money, terrible way to go about doing it.

Okay, i''ve just heard more from a different agent (not Holt''s again)Holt wanted to go to Rangers (i think he''s a fan?), his agent had spoken to them again  in the last week as they were still interested in him but they have been told they can''t sign anyone above 18 years of age until their financial issues are sorted. Transfer request was still put in though by Holt for some reason, but as far as this guy knows, there isn''t a plan B for him at present. It could be crap but as i''ve said before, it is a reliable source. I''m still hoping NC will give him a bigger deal and he''ll see sense.

It is an interesting/odd one, not sure the beeb story helps with the title ''Holt in transfer plea''....plea being rather a strong word to use!

NCFC really ought to get some sort of statement sorted, as after what was an excellent season, and in the build-up to Drury''s testimonial, all the talk in the last week has seemed to be negative: is Lambo leaving, Holt''s transfer request, players released etc.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]I certainly have no problem him asking for more - but it does sound rather mercenary to ask for more money and then lob in a transfer request when it is turned down, particularly when you consider how plenty of people are struggling to make ends meet. He was more than happy to sign a 3-year contract extension last summer and I doubt he is poorly paid by any measure.[/quote]
Exactly my thoughts BP.

I agree that an increase in wages is probably a fair request after such a good season, but to then ask to leave when denied is a hard line to take.

But let''s also be fair here and say that no-one knows for sure what''s happened here, and it would be horribly unfair to draw poor assumptions or criticise Grant without knowing the actual facts.
[/quote]

Ridiculous statement - how can it be fair without any knowledge of an amount? Would you say 10% is fair? What about 20%? Or 50%, or even 100%? 

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]I certainly have no problem him asking for more - but it does sound rather mercenary to ask for more money and then lob in a transfer request when it is turned down, particularly when you consider how plenty of people are struggling to make ends meet. He was more than happy to sign a 3-year contract extension last summer and I doubt he is poorly paid by any measure.[/quote]Exactly my thoughts BP.I agree that an increase in wages is probably a fair request after such a good season, but to then ask to leave when denied is a hard line to take.But let''s also be fair here and say that no-one knows for sure what''s happened here, and it would be horribly unfair to draw poor assumptions or criticise Grant without knowing the actual facts.[/quote]

Ridiculous statement - how can it be fair without any knowledge of an amount? Would you say 10% is fair? What about 20%? Or 50%, or even 100%? 

[/quote]What he could get elsewhere is what''s fair and that''s probably double what City are paying.Would there be any tantrums if he loses form and gets dumped at the end of next season and left to the dogs to chew over? I don''t think so.

For the past few weeks Canary fans everywhere have been reminding anyone who''ll listen that Holt is the second highest scoring Englishman in the Premiership.  So it will hardly be a surprise if his agent has been reminding David McNally of the same thing. 

The problem is that City have a salary structure and they aren''t yet ready to push that up to higher levels either to keep existing players or recruit better ones.  And McNally knows that as long as he can keep PL we have a good chance of staying in the division without needing to take that step because he is brilliant at spotting good value-for-money players and getting the best out of them.

John Ruddy is about to join the England camp, where he won''t necessarily enjoy being the comparative pauper; others such as Howson and the two Bennetts may well feel undervalued if they contine to grow in stature next season.

This won''t be the last such story if we continue to succeed in the  next year or two. 

The thing is, if you give him a better deal you almost always extend the term, so we''d have a 31-year-old on a premier league contract for at least the next three years, which isn''t a great deal for the club. The best deal for the club is the contract agreed with him last year as it ties us to a good player for two years at ''only just promoted'' wages, but doesn''t land us with a proper veteran, which he''ll officially become over the next two years.

So, Holt thinks to himself, "hang on, I''m worth something these days", Match of the Day, England speculation etc, and thinks I need a suitable contract, I''ll get Norwich to renew my terms which, to do properly and justifiably, would involve a slight extension - that''s the nature of it, a quid pro quo where the player gets more cash and the club owns the player for longer. But in this case the equation doesn''t quite add up, so to get the price he''s now worth GH needs to look elsewhere. And of course if there is any chance of it being in the north west, Everton say, so much the better as it puts paid to all those endless journeys back to Carlisle.

Didn''t think it would happen and am disappointed as in the 30 years I''ve been watching City I''ve never seen quite such a Roy of the Rovers type character – was more prepared for Lambert to leave actually, and quite ready to accept that one, but ... if we make sure we get £5m, we will just have to add it to the budget and move on.

Good post 12th.Word from my ''source'' (we all seem to have one of them) is that it is simply wanting an improved contract and the club not willing to stretch to his demands, thats football!

Dave McNally has taken to Twitter a moment ago, to encourage people to buy tickets for Tuesday. I may be reading more into his second sentence than is actually there but with to days news I wonder if it''s a veiled dig.

"Please please buy a ticket for Adam Drury''s testimonial game against Celtic next Tuesday. He has been loyal to NCFC for 11years"

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Any suspicions that Lambert is off to Villa afterall and has already begun his restructuring of the playing squad there?[/quote]Why would he be assistant to OGS? [;)]

Dunno if people have already been told, but apparently Arsenal are after him, according to some Arsenal groups on twitter- this makes no sense to me though, Wenger doesn''t buy people over 30.Sorry would paste tweets but use twitter on my phone as cant remember the password to login on my pc, but search Arsenal live or ArsenalXI (were one of the first to break the Hodgson squad early)

[quote user="The Young One"][quote user="lincoln canary"]If this is true then Holt is stupid. He might get a big pay deal but he''ll struggle to hold down a reqular place at a larger club. Then in 18 monts or so he will be linked to championship clubs on loan. If he stays here he prolong his career, and stand more chance of staying at the top for longer.[/quote]

You must not forget most footballers are Greedy, and it''s us the fans that pay for that greed, Holt would probably still be in League 1 or 2 if it wasn''t for Norwich and Lambert, so the loyalty can be repaid but it doesn''t it''s all about ME ME and ME
[/quote]

He has led us to two promotions and consolidated us in the Prem.  He destroyed the Scum at Carrow Road and has put his body on the line 130 times.  He is the 8th highest scorer ever and despite playing the modern gamne, he has the fifth highest ratio of goals to games in our history.  

He has earned every penny we have paid him and more than repaid the faith we showed in signing him for a league one team.  I am very disappointed but do not say that Holt owes us anything.   He has repaid us a hundredfold 

Johnny tweet at 8.30pm

Johnny howson @Johnnyhowson

What''s grant thinking we are trying to build a team and he''s not exactly a young en?