Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Reality check

Grant Holt has always made it known he would like to move back up north at some stage so it would be no surprise if he moves - either this year, next year or the year after.     He is no spring chicken and we would have to start building in replacements this year anyway so if he does go this year - shame, but we move on.

Paul Lambert will move on too - this year or next year or the year after - he is in demand and ambitious.   So McNally and co will have an idea who they want and the club will progress.    Again, shame, but we move on.

Hopefully they will both stay - but the club needs to develop and it''s better to have people on board that wat to be here so if either or both of them go it is an opportunity for new people to come in and take the club on.   Its not as if we have been relegated or anything like that. We are a successful club and with the right people we will carry on progressing.    So it is good if GH and PL want to stay, but it is not the end of the club if they want to go - either for more money or to fulfil ambition.   

Talking of opportunities - Tuesday is a good opportunity to let them both know how much we want them to stay.

Agree but most fans realise how massive Holt has been in the success of the last 3 seasons and also Holt seems to have found his perfect "fit" club. I sincerely hope Holty stays and I hope he realises that at another club the magic he has been producing at Norwich may not happen!

As for Lambert, he needs to look at John Bond and Mike Walker who done wonders at Norwich, left for bigger clubs and didn''t produce, the moves were the beginning of the end for them. Norwich City FC is nowhere near reaching the peak of its potential. This will only happen when Carrow Road holds 35,000+ and is filling it more often than not, the team has been a regular fixture in the top flight, we''ve won a cup or two and returned to European competition. Lamberts capable of playing a big part in achieving all of the above!

I think Villa would want Lambert but something is not right with their owners and Lambert seems the sort of guy who won''t tolerate inept clubowners for long much like Martin O Neill. Liverpool will I think go for a bigger name I''d of thought!

I think when your a manager you want a balance of control/budget and potential.

The issue with many of the larger clubs is that they have owners who like to play FM2013 and are too hands on.

This is probably why Rodgers turned down Liverpool.

Would not surprise me if Managers like Lambert are on 500 to 1 million£ bonuses for keeping their teams in the premier league.

However apparently Wenger is on 7 million £ a year at arsenal so one assumes Villa/liverpool would pay 2-3 million

3 year contract = Nice work if you can get it even if you get sacked!

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Grant Holt has always made it known he would like to move back up north at some stage so it would be no surprise if he moves - either this year, next year or the year after.     He is no spring chicken and we would have to start building in replacements this year anyway so if he does go this year - shame, but we move on.

Paul Lambert will move on too - this year or next year or the year after - he is in demand and ambitious.   So McNally and co will have an idea who they want and the club will progress.    Again, shame, but we move on.

Hopefully they will both stay - but the club needs to develop and it''s better to have people on board that wat to be here so if either or both of them go it is an opportunity for new people to come in and take the club on.   Its not as if we have been relegated or anything like that. We are a successful club and with the right people we will carry on progressing.    So it is good if GH and PL want to stay, but it is not the end of the club if they want to go - either for more money or to fulfil ambition.   

Talking of opportunities - Tuesday is a good opportunity to let them both know how much we want them to stay.

[/quote]

Very good post, I agree with all of it except the last line. For the last 3 years in every game we have played in ,we have been singing songs for Grant Holt and Paul Lambert and rightly so. However, Tuesday night is about Drury and shouldn''t be overshadowed by how much we want Holt and Lambert to stay. I''ll be going to show my appreciation for Drury, not to show how much I want Lambert and Holt to stay, the last 3 years should have proved that.

[quote user="alysha"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Very good post, I agree with all of it except the last line. For the last 3 years in every game we have played in ,we have been singing songs for Grant Holt and Paul Lambert and rightly so. However, Tuesday night is about Drury and shouldn''t be overshadowed by how much we want Holt and Lambert to stay. I''ll be going to show my appreciation for Drury, not to show how much I want Lambert and Holt to stay, the last 3 years should have proved that.

[/quote]Good point. Yes, Paul Lambert and Grant Holt have been good for us over the last 3 years, but if we could get a few more people in with the commitment and loyalty that Adam Drury has shown over 11 years, I don''t think we would have too much to worry about.

[/quote]

You raise an interesting point here, LDC. For whatever reason and at whatever time, both GH and PL will move on from Norwich. Fact.  Just in the same way Holt needs to negociate from a position of strength, if they do both go over the course of the summer, then at least our club is negociating for their replacement(s) from a position of strength. We are currently a mid table Prem club, with a sound fanbase and finances. Not one struggling, or having just been relegated or put into administration.

But I really do not believe that anything is cut and dried yet . I''m still confident that both GH and PL will still be on the NCFC payroll come Aug, but if they are not, it''s not going to be the apocalyptic, doomsday scenario that some are predicting.

I think the reason that there is some slight hysteria about Holt as well, is that it''s so unexpected. Lambert I think we''ve all come to realise will be going sooner rather than later - whether that''s this season or not, we''re used to the speculation, we''ve seen it all before, if he goes he goes. It''s going to happen sooner or later. Holt, on the other hand, is far more out of the blue. Yeah we know he likes it up north, but it''s not really something that has shone through, it''s not like he has been playing terribly and is feeling homesick. And whilst eventually he might move on, I don''t think anyone would have thought it was this season - he probably isn''t going to move up any higher than midtable with us, and why would he want to move down after the season he had last year? There obviously is a reason, but that reason is a bit of a shock that might take a bit of a while for some people to sit back and see things a bit more clearly.

Personally, I don''t think Holt would have done anything against the club maliciously, and as you say LDC, if he and Lambert go then que sera sera. Whilst McNally is here I''m still confident we''ll be fine without both of them!

It doesn''t just stop at GH and PL leaving the club though, does it? There''s every chance that PL attempt to buy one or two City players - Howson and Ruddy spring to mind.....

So not only would you have GH''s departure, the Club Captain and leading talisman, affecting the morale of the squad, but there is every chance that one or two, given the opportunity, would follow PL to Villa Park.

Of course it''s all conjecture, but some of the consequences don''t bare thinking about.

[quote user="unique"]It doesn''t just stop at GH and PL leaving the club though, does it? There''s every chance that PL attempt to buy one or two City players - Howson and Ruddy spring to mind.....

So not only would you have GH''s departure, the Club Captain and leading talisman, affecting the morale of the squad, but there is every chance that one or two, given the opportunity, would follow PL to Villa Park.

Of course it''s all conjecture, but some of the consequences don''t bare thinking about.[/quote]You neglected to mention the support.If PL and GH go along with the pick of the crop, Carrow Road will implode. Every loss will be booed off the pitch and any player who isn''t Grant Holt will be subject to abuse the minute a pass goes astray.As baldyboy has stated elsewhere, there is genuine potential for a disaster next season.

Not sure I''d want Ruddy over Given!

If lambert goes, then of course he MIGHT come after some of our players. However, bear in mind he''s supposedly moving to a club who have more money and are "bigger" than us - surely he can go after more expensive and "better" signings than the ones he had to make here? Secondly, it''s no different to any other club making an approach for our players then. We only sell at a price we''re happy to sell at.

[quote user="Aggy"]Not sure I''d want Ruddy over Given!

If lambert goes, then of course he MIGHT come after some of our players. However, bear in mind he''s supposedly moving to a club who have more money and are "bigger" than us - surely he can go after more expensive and "better" signings than the ones he had to make here? Secondly, it''s no different to any other club making an approach for our players then. We only sell at a price we''re happy to sell at.[/quote]I was just about to make exactly the same point. If PL wants to manage players like Howson and Ruddy, he might as well stay here!!

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="unique"]It doesn''t just stop at GH and PL leaving the club though, does it? There''s every chance that PL attempt to buy one or two City players - Howson and Ruddy spring to mind..... So not only would you have GH''s departure, the Club Captain and leading talisman, affecting the morale of the squad, but there is every chance that one or two, given the opportunity, would follow PL to Villa Park. Of course it''s all conjecture, but some of the consequences don''t bare thinking about.[/quote]

You neglected to mention the support.

If PL and GH go along with the pick of the crop, Carrow Road will implode. Every loss will be booed off the pitch and any player who isn''t Grant Holt will be subject to abuse the minute a pass goes astray.

As baldyboy has stated elsewhere, there is genuine potential for a disaster next season.
[/quote]

Not for the first time , Mr Cluck, there is a hint of you over-egging the pudding here. You bandy words like "disaster", "implode" and "abuse" like confetti.

Now, I''m not for one minute suggesting that losing either or both of PL or GH would not be a blow, but to suggest that it''d be the end of the world as we know it is a tad extreme . You suggest also that the support would dwindle. Well it did not dwindle significantly when we were struggling at the nether regions of the Champ and subsequently relegated to Lge One. So why should it all disappear into the ether just because we change our manager and centre forward ?

You are the first to drone on about the club being strong, and the Prem, and all entailed therein, is not the be all and end all ,etc etc. So are you not giving out mixed messages here ?

Given is 36 and way past his prime. Ruddy is 25 and has just been selected for the England squad.

If I was a manager building for the future, I''m not sure I would be that dismissive of Ruddy......

[/quote]

No Tuesday night is Adam Drury''s night, not Holt''s or Lambert''s.

Is he going to Villa to build for the future then? I''d have thought, given the supposed abundance of riches they''ve got, and the demand for instant success that will undoubtedly come with a "big" club, he''d have to get some instant success. Not sure a keeper who let in more goals than any other side who will still be in the division next season, and was selected for an England side where I I don''t think I''m far off being fourth choice English keeper, is really a massive target for such a big club?

In fairness, Ruddy is possibly one of the only players who he might take with him to Villa, although I do think there will be far better options available to Villa, and I think we''d be able to find a replacement keeper fairly easily. As for anyone else in the squad, is there really anyone who is good enough for a club that is supposedly "the next step up" from us?

I''m not sure what it says about Norwich City fans then, the fact that he was considered by many for POTS.

The concern is that instead of building on three years of unbridled success, we lose the manager and several of our first team players all at once, putting us at one hell of a disadvantage for next season.

Personally, I''m fed up with hearing about Villa.   They are not a great club.  They were in the past, but not any more.   They are just another club who are trying to relive the past and not succeeding.  .  If PL or anyone else wants to go there I couldn''t care less.  They are not a club worthy of a lot of attention by us Norwich fans imo.   If  PL goes to another club, good luck to him.   The fact it is Villa in the limelight at the moment is co-incidental.   PL will be linked with any managerial vacancy that comes up.    From his point of view he may regard it as a step up, but from a Norwich perspective Villa are an irrelevance.        If he goes to any club and wants any of our players so be it,  but as far as Villa goes - it would be a downward step imo, not a step up.   More money or not.   

Personally, I''m fed up with hearing about Villa.   They are not a great club.  They were in the past, but not any more.   They are just another club who are trying to relive the past and not succeeding.  .  If PL or anyone else wants to go there I couldn''t care less.  They are not a club worthy of a lot of attention by us Norwich fans imo.   If  PL goes to another club, good luck to him.   The fact it is Villa in the limelight at the moment is co-incidental.   PL will be linked with any managerial vacancy that comes up.    From his point of view he may regard it as a step up, but from a Norwich perspective Villa are an irrelevance.        If he goes to any club and wants any of our players so be it,  but as far as Villa goes - it would be a downward step imo, not a step up.   More money or not.   

[/quote]

Hmm....maybe one of your more cavalier statements there LDC.

To suggest that Villa are an "irrelevance" to Norwich is a little fanciful, I fear. For a start, there''s the 180 mins of  football and 6 points on offer in playing them next season.

I''ve already said that if GH and PL move on , it will not be the end of life as we know it, but I''m prepared to put a fairly decent wager with you that, should PL be the Villa manager next season, they will finish above Norwich City in the final Prem table next May.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Hmm....maybe one of your more cavalier statements there LDC. To suggest that Villa are an "irrelevance" to Norwich is a little fanciful, I fear. For a start, there''s the 180 mins of  football and 6 points on offer in playing them next season.  I''ve already said that if GH and PL move on , it will not be the end of life as we know it, but I''m prepared to put a fairly decent wager with you that, should PL be the Villa manager next season, they will finish above Norwich City in the final Prem table next May.

[/quote]

That would be a wager I would take on with you Eric, but I fear the exchange rate with the Euro may be too volatile at the moment for me to risk my meagre finances on such a bet!    

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Hmm....maybe one of your more cavalier statements there LDC. To suggest that Villa are an "irrelevance" to Norwich is a little fanciful, I fear. For a start, there''s the 180 mins of  football and 6 points on offer in playing them next season.  I''ve already said that if GH and PL move on , it will not be the end of life as we know it, but I''m prepared to put a fairly decent wager with you that, should PL be the Villa manager next season, they will finish above Norwich City in the final Prem table next May.

[/quote]

That would be a wager I would take on with you Eric, but I fear the exchange rate with the Euro may be too volatile at the moment for me to risk my meagre finances on such a bet!    

[/quote]

Don''t worry, LDC. It does not have to be Euros.  I can deal in the denomination of your choice .

Name your currency and price ....!