Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Holt - It's all about money

The Sun reckon Holt wanted a better deal than the club were prepared to offer, so he threw his toys out of the pram.

The Sun? It must be true then

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4326002/Grant-Holt-transfer-request-Striker-could-leave-Norwich-over-wage-row.html

we all know the Sun fib for England...Holts wikipedia entry is given them a run for their money though...funny as it is...

"In April 2012 Holt won the world pyre fitting championships, a competition where people have to change as many tyres and eat as many pies as possible in 10 minutes. Contestants get 10 points per tyre and 5 points per pie. Holt finished with 1255 points, smashing the world record of 70 points in the process. He donated the prize money of £5,000 to Adam Drury''s testimonial fund"

I know its The Sun, and personally I don''t read it, however, I do know that Charlie Wyett is a big Norwich fan, so he may know something that might be true.

when a contract is signed i assume both parties are taking a bit of a chance ? if holt had turned out to be utter shyte this season the club cudn''t sack him or make him take a pay cut ...  footballers make me want to puke sometimes [A]

[quote user="Stretcharm"]I know its The Sun, and personally I don''t read it, however, I do know that Charlie Wyett is a big Norwich fan, so he may know something that might be true.[/quote]

Take your point about this  SA. Whether it''s a Sun journo or anyone else, someone knows the truth about this, and, things being what they are, it''ll all come out pretty soon (eg early next week), if for no other reason that players, agents and insider journos can only be relied upon to keep their gobs shut for a very short period.

One can ony assume, at this stage, that it is a contract/wage related thing, and like many others, though we love GH for what he''s done over the last 3 yrs, I ''m intrigued to know with whom GH thinks he can get a significantly longer or better contract than the one he has with Norwich. Taking an educated guess on this, I''d say he knows that, at 31, he''s not going to get anything longer than 2 yrs, so he may see a short term one on higher money as worth a move. and, to be fair, I would not blame him for that.

Sun journo connected to Norwich tweeted that "Holt on 16k a week, most Prem players on 30-50k a week even if crap."  Doubt we can offer £30k a week, but it''s Holt''s last chance for a big fat paycheque and he may as well look at offers.

I would believe that this is probably true as I can see it only being the reason he would want to leave.  Being Holt is 31 and probably still got a couple of seasons left at the top level (of which he is contracted to Norwich), he signed his current contract while we were in the championship and suspect his agent has been doing the rounds and probably got a club to triple his wages.  Holt''s just looking out for his financial future and remember that he''s played alot in the lower leagues and probably not got alot put aside for his retirement.If a club would offer him £40k a week for 2 years it would be worth around £2-3million to him and £40k a week is not alot for a striker who has scored 15 premier league goals.

Maybe why Whitbread left,although with his injury problems not really worth an increased contract until say he had played a set number of games,depends what the club are offering obviously the contracts are mutually agreed at the time but with another season of Premier League money to be banked players might be a bit agrieved at the possible over prudence at the club again,not saying they go mad with the money but there must be some in the pot to dish out.Here''s hoping a statement is issued pronto by the club as i don''t fancy being stuck in front of a computer screen for hours again today

As a 33 year old dad with 3 kids I dont blame him at all family first!

Lets assume unscientifically he has been on good money since his last contract. and he has earned the average or so money for the divisions City have been in.

1 year in div1 at £5000 per week £143,418.96 (after tax or so assuming straight salary)

1 yea at champ £10,000 £268,218.96 (after tax or so assuming straight salary)

1 year in Prem £15000 per week £393,018.96 (after tax or so assuming straight salary)

2 years left on current deal circa £786036 to come

so between 1 -2 million £ or so

If we assume that Holt has no qualifications or anything waiting for him to do once he leaves the game thats not really a lot of money to live on for the rest of your life you cannot get interest in the bank or go buy loads of houses as most work outside of football is not that great at the moment.

Yes its a lot more than a lot of people earn but i am sure the top nationally recognised employees at the council, Aviva and other companies (even in Norwich) would expect to earn more than this during their careers its just they would earn this over a longer period of time and also have this go up with experience over 35 rather than drop dramatically (40 years of work or so).

Consider the figures above its a sad statement of todays living costs that even with the amount above can a 31 year old man in the top of his trade afford to retire in 4 years with a nice house (400k + in Norwich) a nice car or 2 (30k+) and 3 kids going to university (100k +) it costs 13k per year minimum for one person to have a decent standard of life to afford 3 kids I would say 35-45 given the rising cost of living.

Top players in the Prem get 150-200,000£ per week international world class

Medium-good players get 30-50,000 per week proven Prem player too good for champs international probably.

I would say that Holt is worth 25-35,000 based on last season maybe a little more.

City should not pay that as we cannot afford it and it will cause a squad problem we should sell him so he can get this at another club, if Whitbread gets 35-45 how much is Holt worth?

40,000 = £1,017,018.96 after tax in the unlikely even of paying full tax thats £3 million + on a 3 year contract + bonuses

No decision to make everyone on this forum would take that without exception.

When we signed Grant Holt we signed a player to get us goals in Division 1 we got a player who got us goals in the Champ and Prem....... 2 for the price of 1.

We have an ethos and it should be thus Mr x player from champ, div 1 foreign league come play for us for xx,xxx on a 3 year deal at 20-25 years old. You then do well and can move to another club on xx,xxx a week and we get millions. We will not be arsey about it we expect your dedication and professionalism and will pat you on the back on the way out. He leaves and we buy Rhodes and then repeat the scenario.

Win Win situation.

Grant has earned his payday and i am happy he has chosen now to press the issue its professional to do so as it gives us the max time to sort this out.

Footballers need to start living in the same world as everyone else.No one has job security, a guaranteed income or anywhere near a £50k a month pay packet yet don''t throw a wobbly when they are politely told to F  Off by their employers when they ask for a big pay rise.It''s just things like this that make me wonder whether i want to carry on following football full stop.

They do live in the real world they are just better at their jobs than most other people there are thousands of footballers millions in the word. The Premier league is the best league in the world give or take the Spanish league ergo if your in the premier league you one of the top few hundred players in the world.

Unfortunately footballers, bankers and pop stars are valued more than nurses, teachers etc etc.

You would do the same in your work the amounts are irrelevant I am sure there few folks working in the city to whom Grant Holts wages are not really that much for them they would be considered a bonus in previous years. They are not happy as compared to their contemporaries they are poor and your a nobody until you get to the 50-100 million + brigade.

Football is a bubble funded by loss making football teams the players are just riding the bubble so i dont blame them one bit.

Even with all this money Grant Holt cannot buy a family house in the poshest bit of london or drive a Bugatti Vayron its all relative.

Norwich City do not have to sell Holt he is under contract so that is that if they wish to do so. Holt must have a plan B before rolling the dice and it will be interesting to see what that is as his bluff is going to be called.

If I remember correctly does a player loose some money when a transfer request is granted?

Hmm, all fair enough fromage frais, but you say he cannot get interest? Well if he gets a fairly standard rate at around 3% even, if he''s earning between 1 and 2 million in the next 2 years alone, and presumably has some savings from his 10 years or so getting a reasonably good wage if not a great one by footballers standards, then let''s say he has 2 million minimum sitting around after he retires. (Of course, we''ve worked off assumptions about his wages that we can''t be sure of, and we aren''t including things like cuts of signing on fees, bonuses etc. etc., so he will probably have a fair bit more than 2 million in the bank.)

Even only 3% interest on 2 million is 60,000 a year, which is a pretty decent salary by most people''s standards! And given that he would have been able to pay for his house and car etc. up front (so no mortgage costs), he''s got a fair bit there to live off!

He may well want more - but it''s not like he''ll be struggling to make ends meet, like many far better footballers than Holt who were playing 40 or so years ago ended up doing when their careers were over.

The Sun journalist is right - Holt is on £16K per week, (though bonuses can add a significant amount to that) I''ve posted on another thread that Holt was offered an increase of £4K, to £20K. Not enough for Grant so we are where we are.