Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

FAO GRANT HOLT

[quote user="tom cavendish"]The best Grant Holt can hope for at another club is a little bit more money for 2 years, living somewhere less safe in which to bring up his family, and where he wouldn''t be so highly regarded once his playing career is over.[/quote]

Have you ever left Norfolk??? You do realise that there are other safe and perfectly nice places to live in England?? Say for arguments sake that Holt got transferred to Sunderland (which is certainly a possible destination), you do realise that there are lovely areas in and around Newcastle/Northumberland and Durham which are not far from Sunderland?? There is also heck of a lot more happening in Newcastle for his young kids than in Norfolk too. Yes Norfolk is a gorgeous area but please take off your Norfolk tinted spectacles!

i can''t believe the reaction of some on this site. how much do you think holt was earning at shrewsbury? at a guess quite a lot less than many posters on this site earn. how much is he likely to be earing in his 40''s and on. the same answer. the next two years are the only real chance he has to make sure he can afford to be comfortabley off for the rest of his life. like you all, i would prefer him to stay at city for these two years but can fully understand where he is coming from, and i wish him the best of luck for his future and thank him for the last three years. without him here for those three years i highly doubt, even with lamberts input, that we would now be in the premiership.

[quote user="star_manic"]

i can''t believe the reaction of some on this site. how much do you think holt was earning at shrewsbury? at a guess quite a lot less than many posters on this site earn. how much is he likely to be earing in his 40''s and on. the same answer. the next two years are the only real chance he has to make sure he can afford to be comfortabley off for the rest of his life. like you all, i would prefer him to stay at city for these two years but can fully understand where he is coming from, and i wish him the best of luck for his future and thank him for the last three years. without him here for those three years i highly doubt, even with lamberts input, that we would now be in the premiership.

[/quote]I want to write something about Chris Martin... But like him I forgot what I was going to say.

[quote user="Josh"]

Have you ever left Norfolk??? You do realise that there are other safe and perfectly nice places to live in England?? Say for arguments sake that Holt got transferred to Sunderland (which is certainly a possible destination), you do realise that there are lovely areas in and around Newcastle/Northumberland and Durham which are not far from Sunderland?? There is also heck of a lot more happening in Newcastle for his young kids than in Norfolk too. Yes Norfolk is a gorgeous area but please take off your Norfolk tinted spectacles![/quote]Josh,I have lived in lots of places around the UK before settling in Norfolk. I also have family in the Sunderland area so know it well.Norfolk is officially the safest county in England and is a great place to raise a family.I could earn more money living somewhere else in the UK, but I value the quality of life in Norfolk for my family more than having more money and having to live elsewhere.

I really don''t know why you are still going on about Norfolk being the safest county. There are safe places to live in every county, Norfolk may win statistic wise for the whole county, but we also have one of the lowest population densities. As someone else said, there are lovely parts around Manchester and Sunderland, there are also horrible parts in Norwich, prince of wales rd is in the top 5 or 10 most likeliest places to get stabbed in England

Also Tom, i think it sounds like you could do with a trip abroad, perhaps you been stuck in Norfolk for too long, go see some of the wolrd my friend, may change your mind about wanting to live in Norfolk all your life

Obviously we dont know why Holt wants to leave yet but if it is for family reasons i.e. moving closer to home or getting that one last big payday so in the next 15/20 years he can support his family, then unless your in his position its hard to judge. Im pretty sure however that he has earned quite alot in his career , no way near hucks most probably but remember he''s been at clubs like forest & im sure he was still taking home a decent amount, including appearence,goal,signing on bonus'' he should be doing ok AT THE MOMENT. Yes Im annoyed how he''s gone about all this but at the same time until he comes out & says exactly why he''s going then who am i to judge? i dont have 3 kids & wife to support like him.

Also i am sorry about your wife''s job, but i don''t believe it was the tories who lead this country into having such a huge public defecit, too much money has been put into public services during labour''s reign, and whoever had come into power at the last elections was going to have to make some serious public sector cuts, however much Labour like to deny that fact

The Pink''un Role Model[quote]I bet his agent can screw an easy £30k per week out of some established EPL club.  That would urinate over what we could offer.[/quote]That would be 30k per week PLUS paying a transfer fee to Norwich, signing-on fees, agents fees etc. so a club might have to pay out around £10m for Holt just for a couple of years service. Because of his age, they would have no chance of recouping their money by selling him after a couple of years.For that sort of money, a club could sign an out of contact player on about 100k per week for a couple of years, or pay a fee for a younger player that could be sold for a profit.

As others have said, Holt is from Carlisle, a place I know well having worked there for several years. It''s very like Norwich in a way, it''s a beautiful old city with history and a cathedral, it''s quiet, it''s safe, the people are really friendly. Yes, they get more rain, but that''s what we endure oop North. Listen to Holt speak, that''s a Carlisle accent. That''s his home, his roots. Those from Norfolk who have lived there all their lives need to think what it''s like to be away from home for so long, just to follow your career. And for a top-flight striker, he''s on peanuts. I hope he gets the move he wants and can eventually retire back home, if that''s what he needs to be happy.

He''s done a great job for us, that''s for sure.

It''s one thing to love a club, but never fall into the trap of thinking that the players will fall in love with it too.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Also Tom, i think it sounds like you could do with a trip abroad, perhaps you been stuck in Norfolk for too long, go see some of the wolrd my friend, may change your mind about wanting to live in Norfolk all your life[/quote]I am very well travelled and have spent a lot of time living in lots of different places including the exclusive areas where top footballers live. That is a reason as to why I appreciate the things that Norfolk offers to a family.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]The Pink''un Role Model[quote]I bet his agent can screw an easy £30k per week out of some established EPL club.  That would urinate over what we could offer.[/quote]That would be 30k per week PLUS paying a transfer fee to Norwich, signing-on fees, agents fees etc. so a club might have to pay out around £10m for Holt just for a couple of years service. Because of his age, they would have no chance of recouping their money by selling him after a couple of years.For that sort of money, a club could sign an out of contact player on about 100k per week for a couple of years, or pay a fee for a younger player that could be sold for a profit.[/quote]Out-of contracts still have agents'' fees signing fees etc.  Players are risks whatever their age.  Sunderland could risk £5m transfer fee granted sell-on potential practically zero. However they''ll paid what? £8m -£9m for boy wonder Wickham who might flop, and be lucky to get shot of him for £1m.

[quote user="Canarino"]As others have said, Holt is from Carlisle, a place I know well having worked there for several years. It''s very like Norwich in a way, it''s a beautiful old city with history and a cathedral, it''s quiet, it''s safe, the people are really friendly. Yes, they get more rain, but that''s what we endure oop North. Listen to Holt speak, that''s a Carlisle accent. That''s his home, his roots. Those from Norfolk who have lived there all their lives need to think what it''s like to be away from home for so long, just to follow your career. And for a top-flight striker, he''s on peanuts. I hope he gets the move he wants and can eventually retire back home, if that''s what he needs to be happy.

He''s done a great job for us, that''s for sure.

It''s one thing to love a club, but never fall into the trap of thinking that the players will fall in love with it too.[/quote]I think that''s why some Sunderland supporters think he could go there. It''s not too far

[quote user="Aggy"]You wouldn''t give two s***s if someone was making more money in the same profession as long as you loved it?

So if you got an offer to go and work for another company, in exactly the same role, but for an extra 50k a year, you''d turn it down? Don''t be absurd.[/quote]Why is it absurd? If I won £5 million plus on the lottery next week then I would be set up for life and just do what makes me happy knowing full well that I would never have to be concerned about money again if sensible with it.I do not think that Holty''s transfer request has anything to do with money.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Also i am sorry about your wife''s job, but i don''t believe it was the tories who lead this country into having such a huge public defecit, too much money has been put into public services during labour''s reign, and whoever had come into power at the last elections was going to have to make some serious public sector cuts, however much Labour like to deny that fact[/quote]Nice one. [Y]

[quote user="star_manic"]

[/quote]No more out of touch with reality than you are though. I should think that Holty would have been on at least £2,000 to £3,000 per week at Shrewsbury and Forest.

Is that the same thing? Winning 5 million pounds on the lottery isn''t the same thing as earning money in your career.

Holt is doing what he loves, but is getting paid for it at the same time. So if he''s going to be paid for doing what he loves, why would he not go to the place that he gets paid the most for doing it? Winning the lottery is not the same circumstance. How about answering the question I actually posed - if you were in a job getting paid to do something, and got offered more money to do the exact same job elsewhere, would you go or stay on the lower wage?

I also don''t think his request has much to do with money, but that wasn''t the point I was making. I was responding to another poster''s point that Holt shouldn''t move because he should do what he loves (and the poster''s supposition was apparently that that thing should be playing for Norwich and nobody else).

"So what the op is saying is that Grant Holt thinks he is bigger than the club," I would suggest it is not the full picture. If it was why not wait until/or arrange contract talks with the club first ?If he has been offered a better deal elsewhere then why not sit back, get the deal, the hefty cut of any transfer fee and the kudos of playing ''Mr Innocent'' who only moved AFTER a club had bettered what we could offer. The ''looking after family'' stuff would then look to be fair comment. Handing in a transfer request blows that all out of the water and now leaves him in a  very tricky position - rather blown it, to put it precise.That is why I think that something has recently happened that has caused this. Something that makes him feel he can''t stay at the club.If it is social ie falling out with another player, wife having an affair then I believe that would be settled/discussed within the club. Therefore I can only surmise it is something the club has done/has indicated that has made his position untenable and he felt he had no option but to publically state that he no longer wanted to be at the club. If so, what that event is none of us know. I have speculated that it could be that Lambert is bringing in players that will ''replace'' him, but it is merely speculation. At some point we will get some indication, if only by a process of elimination ie it isn''t money, it isn''t being homesick, it isn''t ..... etcUntil then, the hysteria on this forum will doubtlessly continue

Much agreed City. Such an interpretation also fits in with a few of the timings and small drips of information we can try to ascertain anything from (again, only all supposition). But on Tuesday he made comments in the press such as "I hope Lambert is here when I get back [next season]", which suggests it isn''t anything to do with a long term plan to move back up north or similar. McNally has said that no contract discussions have been had yet, so if it was purely over money, would he not have talked with the club first? And we do know that there were meetings on going throughout the week.

It would appear to me that something happened in those meetings that made him want to leave. It also suggests why he acted when he did (in response to those people criticising him for ruining Drury''s testimonial) - if it was a spontaneous decision in response to a particular incident then it makes sense to hand in a request pretty much straight away. As you also point out, if it''s over wanting to move elsewhere, why not wait until an offer comes in, make it clear you want to go without handing in an official request, and then you get more money out of it as well?

McNally also says there wasn''t an argument between Holt and the club, so I''m inclined to take that at face value (which pretty much leaves only your interpretation about replacements etc.), but who knows?

[quote user="Aggy"]Is that the same thing? Winning 5 million pounds on the lottery isn''t the same thing as earning money in your career.

Holt is doing what he loves, but is getting paid for it at the same time. So if he''s going to be paid for doing what he loves, why would he not go to the place that he gets paid the most for doing it? Winning the lottery is not the same circumstance. How about answering the question I actually posed - if you were in a job getting paid to do something, and got offered more money to do the exact same job elsewhere, would you go or stay on the lower wage?

I also don''t think his request has much to do with money, but that wasn''t the point I was making. I was responding to another poster''s point that Holt shouldn''t move because he should do what he loves (and the poster''s supposition was apparently that that thing should be playing for Norwich and nobody else).[/quote]My point is that if I had already earned enough money to never be concerned about finances again, then I would do what the hell I like and what made me happy and would not give a monkeys what anyone thinks.So if I was in Grant Holt''s shoes right now I may go and play for Carlisle for £2,000 per week as long as this would not cause me any financial problems. I obviously do not know what he may have purchased on credit. We have an idea of his income, but what about his expenditure?

Exactly about his expenditure. Add to that that if he has got used to living the life of someone on a premiership wage (after many years of being on a lower wage - league 1 and league 2 wages are good in comparison to the average wage, but they''re not retire after only 15 years good), then he may well want to get one last big pay day in order to boost what he has left over.

Again, we don''t know. But if Holt wants to do what he loves, but he wants to do it whilst earning more money, then that''s entirely fair enough in my opinion. Anybody who slates him for that is being absurd. If anyone was offered more money to do something they loved, they can hardly be criticised for taking more money.

I agree, but like I say, not for one moment have I thought that Holty''s transfer request is linked to money. I also believe that we are unlikely to find out the real reasons for it unless Holty or Lambert decide to write an autobiography in 10 years time.In the next few weeks NCFC need to draw a line under whether he is staying or going and start focusing on our transfer targets for next season. I wish him well whatever he decides to do, but it is the future for NCFC that we need to focus on and I am sure that Lambert will now have his eye on securing a new striker for next season even more than he was prior to this news breaking.

"McNally also says there wasn''t an argument between Holt and the club"though both party''s may see something differentlyOn the positive side I am glad we have a club that has a bit of ''decorum'' and behaves with respect in regard to these matters.Yes, it is a bit frustrating for fans but far better that than to have it all dragged out through the press like some Jeremy Kyle ''chav fest''.  I have full trust in those now running the club to resolve all of this in the best interests of the club - and ultimately us.I doubt we will ever know the full story but there are inevitably going to be problems* like this, so not much else we can do but wait to see what happens.

* problems,  don''t you mean  ishooooooos  (get with it daddio)

It rains all the time in Carlisle so they''re welcome to that.  [li]

Yeh nice one Tom and you are the geezer that has kept nagging on about the UEA entertaining the club to move.

Have you any idea about finance etc? Who do you think are paying for public servants wages? Um?

Well I started our company in 1987, we employ 14 people who are brilliant people. All of us pay our taxes, my company pays corporate tax. I have not paid myself certain months to ensure we can pay our creditors. My pension has been halved by your ''God'' the hopeless Gordon Brown.

Do me and our staff a favour and do one elsewhere than on this board. If we go the way of other hard working private companies you and your missus will be queuing at a soup kitchen. You can always go and live in a leftist country (there a few in the Euro zone).

Well saidLook at the mess Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Austria are all in, with their taxation

ps funny how your pension has been halved and you are still working